Our Sponsors

Photo

Curious - steel shafts or graphite shafts in irons. Read On.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dcorun

dcorun

SPY ANALYST

• Members

• 62 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Handicap:14

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

I know this question is going to end up about get fitted which I always do but, I just wanted an opinion from my fellow members about this. I've turned 65 and have used graphite shafts in my irons for some time. I recently hit the Cobra F7 One, Callaway Steelhead and the TaylorMade M2 irons which all had steel shafts. I didn't get any numbers but, I was striking the ball dead center on almost every swing with each club. They all felt heavier than my current ones but, the funny thing was, I felt like I was swinging the club faster than I normally do with the graphite shafts. My imagination or am I on to something I've been missing for awhile and should consider it when I do buy new irons and get fitted?

Driver - TM R15 10.5* w/ Accra F150 M3

Fairway - Cobra F6 3/4 15.5* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Hybrid - Cobra F6 3/4 19* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Hybrid - Cobra F6 4/5 22* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland 588 MT 6-SW w/ Actionlite Shafts / R Flex 

Putter - Cleveland Huntington Beach #4 / 35"

#2 MDGolfHacker

MDGolfHacker

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,197 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:16

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

Were they lighter steel shafts? Steel shafts can get pretty light now a days, down to 74 grams. Heavier shafts can slow your swing maybe getting your timing better synced. Downside is you might get more tired swinging a heavier shaft over 18 holes. Why did you switch to graphite?

MDGolfHacker

Driver: LH taylormade.jpgR15 10.5* Aldila.png 95 MSI 70-3.3-S S-Flex
Fairway Woods: LH taylormade.jpgAeroburner 3-Wood 15* Speed Rul-Z 60 S-Flex
Hybrid: LH taylormade.jpgAeroBurner 3 Rescue 19* / 4 Rescue 22* - matrix%20shafts%2080x15.jpg Speed Rul-Z 70 S-Flex 
Irons: LH mizuno.jpg MP-57 1* flat standard loft 3-PW Project X Precision 5.5 
Wedges: LH 
:titelist-small:  SM 52*/10* & 58*/10*  with True Temper Wedge Flex Shafts

Putter: LH bettinardi.jpg C03

#3 dcorun

dcorun

SPY ANALYST

• Members

• 62 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Handicap:14

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

Just got older and felt my swing speed was slowing down. Don't know the weight but, I'm still ok for 18 holes with steel if it would improve my iron play. :)

Driver - TM R15 10.5* w/ Accra F150 M3

Fairway - Cobra F6 3/4 15.5* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Hybrid - Cobra F6 3/4 19* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Hybrid - Cobra F6 4/5 22* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland 588 MT 6-SW w/ Actionlite Shafts / R Flex 

Putter - Cleveland Huntington Beach #4 / 35"

#4 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,127 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:62

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:17 PM

I have no answer really. I'm not a shaft guy. Question: were you outdoors while testing these clubs?

I prefer outdoor testing when possible. You might want to consider some LM data also.

BTW... im 62 and play AeroTech Steel Fiber in my irons.

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#5 alfred480

alfred480

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

The weight will play a role for sure. At the end of the day it all depends on how you load your club based on your tempo and so forth. If you are finding you are hitting well with steel shafts and not losing distance and have just as good if not better control with the consistency you are finding then switch over. I would suggest trying it on different days because every day feels different too.

But yes get fitted for the right shaft so you are getting the trajectory and spin numbers you want too.

Good luck!

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Callaway Big Bertha 15 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees (changes with hybrid)

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2 Dot 54, Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

#6 chisag

chisag

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+.8

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

... First. At 65 I wouldn't even consider steel shafts in your irons. I had elbow tendonitis when I was playing almost every day and the graphite iron shafts cured that problem. (after some time off and rehab) Today you can find any weight and any kind of performance you want in a graphite iron shaft. From low launch to high launch, lower than steel torque to higher more forgiving torque. The wear and tear on your joints, especially if you play a lot, is night and day different with graphite. I have been playing graphite in my irons for about 15 years now, ever since Aldila released the Tour NV 130gm shafts that were the same weight and performance profile as Dynamic Gold shafts. I have moved to lower weights since and after experimenting I was able to play all the way down to 95gm shafts. 85 was just too light for my swing so 95-110 seems about perfect for me. 

... And yea you can swing heavier faster, to a point. If you were paying light weight shafts in the 65gm or lower range it is easy to lose the feel of the club. I would experiment with some heavier graphite shafts starting at 85 and moving up to 95's and up if necessary. Sooooo many really good shafts starting with Recoils, Aldila VS Proto's on eBay and Aerotech Steelfibers. There are more of course but that is a good place to start. 

Driver:   Callaway Epic 10.5* ... Rogue Black Tour 110 60s 

Utility:  Cobra King Utility 19* ... Rogue Black 85 Hys

Hybrid: 18.5* & 21.5* RBZ Tour ... Altus 85 Hys

Irons:  4/5 TM UDi Recoil 95's ... 6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95's

Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM6 58* M Grind ... Recoil 110s

Putter:  Bobby Grace 6330 at 33.25"

Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

#7 dang3rtown

dang3rtown

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 481 posts
  • LocationSacramento
  • Handicap:6.2

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

With swing weight, lighter is not always more powerful. Think about trying to break a glass window with a ball. You are standing 10 yards away and you have three options; a whiffle ball (let's say it's the kind without holes), a baseball and a shot put. Your initial launch speed throwing the wife ball is through the roof! It's light and you can really whip it but it just bounces off the window, barely makes a vibration. You try an overhand throw with the shot put. It goes thud 10 feet in front of you. Too much mass. Now, you through that baseball and it smashes right through. It wasn't as fast as the whiffle ball and it wasn't as massive as the shot put. It was in the right zone for a human to apply force to a plate glass window.

Now, I see many older golfers going with super light shafts and light. cast iron heads because they are fixated on the idea that lighter = faster = better for a player losing strength and swing speed as they age. Not always so! Find the club and shaft combo that gives you your ideal "window breaking" advantage!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

#8 mtisdale

mtisdale

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario Canada
  • Handicap:18

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Agreed , I had graphite shafts before and I was too strong for them actually. I had way too much flex and whip that I wasn't straight with my shots, went back to steel shafts and my irons are way straighter now then with the graphite.

Straight is always better then long, if you need a bit more length that's why we have different irons for. Make the adjustment in the club selection.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

#9 Kenny B

Kenny B

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 8,250 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA
  • Handicap:7.9

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

I went to graphite shafts a long time ago, and I would never go back to steel.  However, I hit heavier shafts a lot better, but I am defining better as straighter.  I found that 95 gram graphite shafts in my wedges provided good straight shots, so I went with similar weight graphite in my irons.  My issue is that without a faster swing speed, I only hit low to medium height shots.  I would love to hit higher shots, but I have to play what I got!!  

if you hit a nice high shot and have the same distance, I don't see an issue except for the elbow problems mentioned by @chisag.  I'm 5 years older than you and my swing speed has reduced in those 5 years, so keep that in mind.

#10 Peterpc2828

Peterpc2828

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationMonmouth Beach, NJ
  • Handicap:11

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

I've tried both, steel to graphite ( specifically UST recoils) and I loved them, plus they disguised themselves very well to look like a steel shaft. Since then have sold those clubs and am now back to steel but would not hesitate to at least try them out next time I am in the market for new irons.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#11 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 8,784 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:3.9

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

I'm 60 and have been in graphite for about eight years.

It's really become a matter of preference though. Unless you need super lite steel can get there and there are shock absorbing steel shafts as well.

I happen to prefer graphite

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
<p>Driver: G30 10.5</p><p>Fairway woods: Callaway xHot extremes</p><p>Hybrid: SLDR S (not C) </p><p>Irons: Wilson C 200 aldila rogue 75 5-PW     2 degrees flat</p><p>Wedges: SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite  2 degrees flat </p><p>Putter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"</p><p>Bag: Nike Cart</p><p>Ball: Bridgestone B330 RX, Snell MTB

#12 ParChaser

ParChaser

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Handicap:8

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:44 AM

I am 62 and have used graphite iron shafts before.  I have also found by going through fittings twice in the last 4 years that steel works better for me.  I tend to end up with very similar results in steel shafts in the 100 to 115 gram range.  I do also note higher swing speed and distance with steel shafts in the lower end of that weight with little difference in dispersion. I have tried Recoils and a few others, but they never quite made it into the bag.

I generally extend these fittings by renting a launch monitor bay once or twice a week to verify the results.  This last fitting I tested the results 4 or 5 times before committing to the TT XP 105.

Short answer is steel has worked better for me the last two times I changed irons. 

Callaway GBBDBD 9.0 Fujikura Pro 63 & Razr Fit 9.5 w Fuel 50

Nickent 3DX DC 2 & 3 hybrids

Apex Pro 4 - A

Vokey 58 wedge

#13 Jrod2519

Jrod2519

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Handicap:0

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

I may be a black sheep here, but I am 27 and I recently switched to graphite shafts in my irons.  I got fitted for them and ended up going to Veylix Alpina 65g shafts.  The nice thing about getting fitted is that the data doesn't lie.  I picked up 3 mph club head speed which really increased my distance.  The funny thing was that I actually hit these shafts straighter than any others I tested, so it was hard to deny that they were the shafts for me.  

In tournaments recently I have received some odd looks about playing graphite shafts but the scores have been great thus far.   Overall I think you just need to get fitted in order to see what may work best for your swing.  

- Jarrod

What's In My Bag, as of May 2017:

Driver:  Tour Edge E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rouge Black 60S

Woods:  Titleist 906F 15 degree and 18 degree w/ Aldila NV 65S in both

Irons:  Calloway Apex Pros 3i - PW w/ Veylix Alpina 673S

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 54 and 60 degree w/ True Temper S300

Putter:  Ping Cadence Ketesh Traditional 35 Inches

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Follow me @chuckstunnings

#14 TWshoot67

TWshoot67

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,781 posts
  • LocationBucks Co., Pa USA
  • Handicap:4.4

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:33 AM

I'm 53 years old and have been playing the Aldila RIP Tour in my Cobra S3 Pro forged irons since the RIP Tours came into existence. I have to say they are fantastic. Before those I was playing the True Temper Black Gold R300, before that Project X Satin 5.5's. The feel is fantastic and no more elbow issues or bent tips like my steel iron shafts would have happen every now and again. The materials now are so good that everyone can play graphite in irons if they really wanted. Graphite is not nearly the same as when my Pop bought graphite shafts 15 years ago.
The Bag:
Right handed
Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"
Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S
Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"
TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"
Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"
Titleist Vokey Proto's
52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400
TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto
GHIN # 5144472

#15 Texsport

Texsport

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLone Star State + The Land of Sky Blue Waters
  • Handicap:0

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:09 AM

A second for the RIP Tour 115 graphite shafts.

Very stable, with narrow distribution is why I play 'em.

Now discontinued, I've started collecting backup sets.

Texsport

Callaway SubZero 10.5*/Mitsubishi Tensei Orange V2 Proto 60TX

Titleist 915 3-wood/Mitsubishi Fubuki K 80X

Titleist 915 5-wood/Mitsubishi Fubuki K 80X

Titleist 915 21* Hybrid/Aldila Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones club)

MacGregor PRO M 5-PW/Aldila RIP Tour S

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S

Scratch JMO Don White 56*/DG X-100

Cobra Tour Trusty Rusty 62*/DG S-200

Bettinardi Studio Stock #16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      09 Nov
    golfovernight

he best players don't get overwhelmed with mechanical thoughts as they stand over the ball. They pick one feel-based thought and go with it. Steal one of these tour thoughts for some pre-swing clarity.

View All Updates

Our Sponsors