Our Sponsors

Photo

Curious - steel shafts or graphite shafts in irons. Read On.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dcorun

dcorun

SPY ANALYST

• Members

• 50 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Handicap:13

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

I know this question is going to end up about get fitted which I always do but, I just wanted an opinion from my fellow members about this. I've turned 65 and have used graphite shafts in my irons for some time. I recently hit the Cobra F7 One, Callaway Steelhead and the TaylorMade M2 irons which all had steel shafts. I didn't get any numbers but, I was striking the ball dead center on almost every swing with each club. They all felt heavier than my current ones but, the funny thing was, I felt like I was swinging the club faster than I normally do with the graphite shafts. My imagination or am I on to something I've been missing for awhile and should consider it when I do buy new irons and get fitted?

Driver - TM R15 10.5* w/ Accra F150 M3

Fairway - Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrid - Cobra F6 3/4 19* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Hybrid - Cobra F6 4/5 22* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland 588 MT 5-SW w/ Actionlite Shafts / R Flex 

Putter - Cleveland Huntington Beach #4 / 35"

#2 MDGolfHacker

MDGolfHacker

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:16

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

Were they lighter steel shafts? Steel shafts can get pretty light now a days, down to 74 grams. Heavier shafts can slow your swing maybe getting your timing better synced. Downside is you might get more tired swinging a heavier shaft over 18 holes. Why did you switch to graphite?

MDGolfHacker

Driver: LH taylormade.jpgR15 10.5* Aldila.png 95 MSI 70-3.3-S S-Flex
Fairway Woods: LH taylormade.jpgAeroburner 3-Wood 15* Speed Rul-Z 60 S-Flex
Hybrid: LH taylormade.jpgAeroBurner 3 Rescue 19* / 4 Rescue 22* - matrix%20shafts%2080x15.jpg Speed Rul-Z 70 S-Flex 
Irons: LH mizuno.jpg MP-57 1* flat standard loft 5-PW Project X Precision 5.5 
Wedges: LH nike.jpg VR 52*/10* & 58*/10* with V-Rev Grooves True Temper S-400 Dynamic Gold Shafts

Putter: LH bettinardi.jpg C03

#3 dcorun

dcorun

SPY ANALYST

• Members

• 50 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Handicap:13

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

Just got older and felt my swing speed was slowing down. Don't know the weight but, I'm still ok for 18 holes with steel if it would improve my iron play. :)

Driver - TM R15 10.5* w/ Accra F150 M3

Fairway - Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrid - Cobra F6 3/4 19* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Hybrid - Cobra F6 4/5 22* w/ Matrix Red Tie HQ4 / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland 588 MT 5-SW w/ Actionlite Shafts / R Flex 

Putter - Cleveland Huntington Beach #4 / 35"

#4 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,633 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:62

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:17 PM

I have no answer really. I'm not a shaft guy. Question: were you outdoors while testing these clubs?

I prefer outdoor testing when possible. You might want to consider some LM data also.

BTW... im 62 and play AeroTech Steel Fiber in my irons.

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#5 alfred480

alfred480

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

The weight will play a role for sure. At the end of the day it all depends on how you load your club based on your tempo and so forth. If you are finding you are hitting well with steel shafts and not losing distance and have just as good if not better control with the consistency you are finding then switch over. I would suggest trying it on different days because every day feels different too.

But yes get fitted for the right shaft so you are getting the trajectory and spin numbers you want too.

Good luck!

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Callaway Big Bertha 15 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees (changes with hybrid)

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2 Dot 54, Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

#6 chisag

chisag

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+.2

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

... First. At 65 I wouldn't even consider steel shafts in your irons. I had elbow tendonitis when I as playing almost every day and the graphite iron shafts cured that problem. (after some time off and rehab) Today you can find any weight and any kind of performance you want in a graphite iron shaft. From low launch to high launch, lower than steel torque to higher more forgiving torque. The wear and tear on your joints, especially if you play a lot, is night and day different with graphite. I have been playing graphite in my irons for about 15 years now, ever since Aldila released the Tour NV shafts that were the same weight and performance profile as Dynamic Gold shafts. I have moved to lower weights since and after experimenting I was able to play all the way down to 95gm shafts. 85 was just too light for my swing so 95-110 seems about perfect. 

... And yea you can swing heavier faster, to a point. If you were paying light weight shafts in the 65gm or lower range it is easy to lose the feel of the club. I would experiment with some heavier graphite shafts starting at 85 and moving up to 95's. Sooooo many really good shafts starting with Recoils, Aldila VS Proto's on eBay and Aerotech. There are more of course but that is a good place to start. 

• :cobra-small:  Fly Z  Rogue Black 110 Tour 60s
  • :taylormade-small: Aeroburner Tour issue 17.2* Kuro Kage Black 70s
  • :taylormade-small:  Adams  LS 19* hybrid Kuro Kage Black 80hys
  • :cobra-small:  King Utility 19* Rogue Black 85s
  • :srixon-small:   Z 545 5-pw all 1* weak Recoil 110s
  • :nike-small:  Forged 48*/54* Recoil 110s
  • :nike-small:  Engage 58* bent to 59* Recoil 110s
  • Bobby Grace  6330 at 33.25"

#7 dang3rtown

dang3rtown

SPY ANALYST

• Members

• 84 posts
  • LocationSacramento
  • Handicap:6.5

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

With swing weight, lighter is not always more powerful. Think about trying to break a glass window with a ball. You are standing 10 yards away and you have three options; a whiffle ball (let's say it's the kind without holes), a baseball and a shot put. Your initial launch speed throwing the wife ball is through the roof! It's light and you can really whip it but it just bounces off the window, barely makes a vibration. You try an overhand throw with the shot put. It goes thud 10 feet in front of you. Too much mass. Now, you through that baseball and it smashes right through. It wasn't as fast as the whiffle ball and it wasn't as massive as the shot put. It was in the right zone for a human to apply force to a plate glass window.

Now, I see many older golfers going with super light shafts and light. cast iron heads because they are fixated on the idea that lighter = faster = better for a player losing strength and swing speed as they age. Not always so! Find the club and shaft combo that gives you your ideal "window breaking" advantage!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond 

Fairway Woods: Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*

Hybrid: Cobra F6 hyb 3-4 20.5*, 4-5 24.5*

Hogan Irons 5 (24), 6 (28), 7 (32), 8 (36), 9 (40)

Wedges: Hogan PW (44), Hogan AW (50), Vokey Sm6 56/10 & 60/8

Putter: Ping Sigma G Kushin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors