TESTERS WANTED! ×

Curious - steel shafts or graphite shafts in irons. Read On.

dcorun

I know this question is going to end up about get fitted which I always do but, I just wanted an opinion from my fellow members about this. I've turned 65 and have used graphite shafts in my irons for some time. I recently hit the Cobra F7 One, Callaway Steelhead and the TaylorMade M2 irons which all had steel shafts. I didn't get any numbers but, I was striking the ball dead center on almost every swing with each club. They all felt heavier than my current ones but, the funny thing was, I felt like I was swinging the club faster than I normally do with the graphite shafts. My imagination or am I on to something I've been missing for awhile and should consider it when I do buy new irons and get fitted?

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

Were they lighter steel shafts? Steel shafts can get pretty light now a days, down to 74 grams. Heavier shafts can slow your swing maybe getting your timing better synced. Downside is you might get more tired swinging a heavier shaft over 18 holes. Why did you switch to graphite?

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Just got older and felt my swing speed was slowing down. Don't know the weight but, I'm still ok for 18 holes with steel if it would improve my iron play. :)

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

I have no answer really. I'm not a shaft guy. Question: were you outdoors while testing these clubs?

I prefer outdoor testing when possible. You might want to consider some LM data also.

BTW... im 62 and play AeroTech Steel Fiber in my irons.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The weight will play a role for sure. At the end of the day it all depends on how you load your club based on your tempo and so forth. If you are finding you are hitting well with steel shafts and not losing distance and have just as good if not better control with the consistency you are finding then switch over. I would suggest trying it on different days because every day feels different too.

But yes get fitted for the right shaft so you are getting the trajectory and spin numbers you want too.

Good luck!

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

... First. At 65 I wouldn't even consider steel shafts in your irons. I had elbow tendonitis when I was playing almost every day and the graphite iron shafts cured that problem. (after some time off and rehab) Today you can find any weight and any kind of performance you want in a graphite iron shaft. From low launch to high launch, lower than steel torque to higher more forgiving torque. The wear and tear on your joints, especially if you play a lot, is night and day different with graphite. I have been playing graphite in my irons for about 15 years now, ever since Aldila released the Tour NV 130gm shafts that were the same weight and performance profile as Dynamic Gold shafts. I have moved to lower weights since and after experimenting I was able to play all the way down to 95gm shafts. 85 was just too light for my swing so 95-110 seems about perfect for me. 

... And yea you can swing heavier faster, to a point. If you were paying light weight shafts in the 65gm or lower range it is easy to lose the feel of the club. I would experiment with some heavier graphite shafts starting at 85 and moving up to 95's and up if necessary. Sooooo many really good shafts starting with Recoils, Aldila VS Proto's on eBay and Aerotech Steelfibers. There are more of course but that is a good place to start. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

With swing weight, lighter is not always more powerful. Think about trying to break a glass window with a ball. You are standing 10 yards away and you have three options; a whiffle ball (let's say it's the kind without holes), a baseball and a shot put. Your initial launch speed throwing the wife ball is through the roof! It's light and you can really whip it but it just bounces off the window, barely makes a vibration. You try an overhand throw with the shot put. It goes thud 10 feet in front of you. Too much mass. Now, you through that baseball and it smashes right through. It wasn't as fast as the whiffle ball and it wasn't as massive as the shot put. It was in the right zone for a human to apply force to a plate glass window.

Now, I see many older golfers going with super light shafts and light. cast iron heads because they are fixated on the idea that lighter = faster = better for a player losing strength and swing speed as they age. Not always so! Find the club and shaft combo that gives you your ideal "window breaking" advantage!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed , I had graphite shafts before and I was too strong for them actually. I had way too much flex and whip that I wasn't straight with my shots, went back to steel shafts and my irons are way straighter now then with the graphite.

Straight is always better then long, if you need a bit more length that's why we have different irons for. Make the adjustment in the club selection.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

I went to graphite shafts a long time ago, and I would never go back to steel.  However, I hit heavier shafts a lot better, but I am defining better as straighter.  I found that 95 gram graphite shafts in my wedges provided good straight shots, so I went with similar weight graphite in my irons.  My issue is that without a faster swing speed, I only hit low to medium height shots.  I would love to hit higher shots, but I have to play what I got!!  

if you hit a nice high shot and have the same distance, I don't see an issue except for the elbow problems mentioned by @chisag.  I'm 5 years older than you and my swing speed has reduced in those 5 years, so keep that in mind.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've tried both, steel to graphite ( specifically UST recoils) and I loved them, plus they disguised themselves very well to look like a steel shaft. Since then have sold those clubs and am now back to steel but would not hesitate to at least try them out next time I am in the market for new irons.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm 60 and have been in graphite for about eight years.

It's really become a matter of preference though. Unless you need super lite steel can get there and there are shock absorbing steel shafts as well.

I happen to prefer graphite

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

I am 62 and have used graphite iron shafts before.  I have also found by going through fittings twice in the last 4 years that steel works better for me.  I tend to end up with very similar results in steel shafts in the 100 to 115 gram range.  I do also note higher swing speed and distance with steel shafts in the lower end of that weight with little difference in dispersion. I have tried Recoils and a few others, but they never quite made it into the bag.

I generally extend these fittings by renting a launch monitor bay once or twice a week to verify the results.  This last fitting I tested the results 4 or 5 times before committing to the TT XP 105.

Short answer is steel has worked better for me the last two times I changed irons. 

Mavrik 10.5 w TT Evenflow Riptide CB 50

Mavrik 5 metal w TT Evenflow Riptide 60

Rogue 4 hybrid

Titleist T200 5 - G

Vokey SM8 54 and 60

I may be a black sheep here, but I am 27 and I recently switched to graphite shafts in my irons.  I got fitted for them and ended up going to Veylix Alpina 65g shafts.  The nice thing about getting fitted is that the data doesn't lie.  I picked up 3 mph club head speed which really increased my distance.  The funny thing was that I actually hit these shafts straighter than any others I tested, so it was hard to deny that they were the shafts for me.  

In tournaments recently I have received some odd looks about playing graphite shafts but the scores have been great thus far.   Overall I think you just need to get fitted in order to see what may work best for your swing.  

- Jarrod

What's In My Bag, as of May 2017:

Driver:  Tour Edge E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rouge Black 60S

Woods:  Titleist 906F 15 degree and 18 degree w/ Aldila NV 65S in both

Irons:  Calloway Apex Pros 3i - PW w/ Veylix Alpina 673S

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 54 and 60 degree w/ True Temper S300

Putter:  Ping Cadence Ketesh Traditional 35 Inches

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Follow me @chuckstunnings

I'm 53 years old and have been playing the Aldila RIP Tour in my Cobra S3 Pro forged irons since the RIP Tours came into existence. I have to say they are fantastic. Before those I was playing the True Temper Black Gold R300, before that Project X Satin 5.5's. The feel is fantastic and no more elbow issues or bent tips like my steel iron shafts would have happen every now and again. The materials now are so good that everyone can play graphite in irons if they really wanted. Graphite is not nearly the same as when my Pop bought graphite shafts 15 years ago.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

A second for the RIP Tour 115 graphite shafts.

Very stable, with narrow distribution is why I play 'em.

Now discontinued, I've started collecting backup sets.

Texsport

Callaway SubZero 10.5*/Mitsubishi Tensei Orange V2 Proto 60TX

Titleist 915 3-wood/Mitsubishi Fubuki K 80X

Titleist 915 5-wood/Mitsubishi Fubuki K 80X

Titleist 915 21* Hybrid/Aldila Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones club)

MacGregor PRO M 5-PW/Aldila RIP Tour S

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S

Scratch JMO Don White 56*/DG X-100

Cobra Tour Trusty Rusty 62*/DG S-200

Bettinardi Studio Stock #16

I may be a black sheep here, but I am 27 and I recently switched to graphite shafts in my irons. I got fitted for them and ended up going to Veylix Alpina 65g shafts. The nice thing about getting fitted is that the data doesn't lie. I picked up 3 mph club head speed which really increased my distance. The funny thing was that I actually hit these shafts straighter than any others I tested, so it was hard to deny that they were the shafts for me.

In tournaments recently I have received some odd looks about playing graphite shafts but the scores have been great thus far. Overall I think you just need to get fitted in order to see what may work best for your swing.

Baaaaa baaaaa

I'm 35 and play recoil 110 in my irons. I know what you mean about the looks you get. But the scores and the lack of back pain don't lie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I'm on the younger end of the spectrum (23) and use steel but at an event last year I did get to try a graphite iron shaft that was really amazing but also really expensive (sorry, can't remember the model). So I'm definitely not against graphite if it fitted me and I had the funds but right now I'm good with my current setup.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'm not so sure if it is the material of the shaft (steel/graphite) as it is the weight of the shaft.

I've tried 110g graphite shafts that felt heavy.  Today's graphite isn't what graphite used to be years ago.

I would concentrate on the weight of the shaft more.  When I was getting fit I tried both and ended up with 95g steel shafts.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 3 weeks later...

I recently replaced the KBS shafts with Padderson Kinetics in all of my Apex pro irons. Superb results! I play hardpan a lot, and these don't shock my elbows. Great flight and spin characteristics.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this question is going to end up about get fitted which I always do but, I just wanted an opinion from my fellow members about this. I've turned 65 and have used graphite shafts in my irons for some time. I recently hit the Cobra F7 One, Callaway Steelhead and the TaylorMade M2 irons which all had steel shafts. I didn't get any numbers but, I was striking the ball dead center on almost every swing with each club. They all felt heavier than my current ones but, the funny thing was, I felt like I was swinging the club faster than I normally do with the graphite shafts. My imagination or am I on to something I've been missing for awhile and should consider it when I do buy new irons and get fitted?

I had a very similar experience...

I'm 61 now and only started playing about 8 years ago. My "starter set" (cheapo's until I was sure I was committed to the game) (yeah, yeah - now I should "be committed", ha) had steel shafts but the very next season I upgraded to a set of "real" irons - R9s - with graphite shafts and felt like those were Da Bomb! Believed they really helped me start to develop my iron striking.

So fast forward a few years to where I start looking more and more at new irons that .. supposedly .. give you more distance with more forgiveness. Did a number of tests / demos at stores and ended up with the Cobra F6. Then I tested that club with the stock graphite vs. the stock steel (FST approx 100 grams). Note this was _not_ via an official fitting .. just me hitting them in the bay at the store. 

When I hit the steel I'd thought, "Wow!", so I went with those. As soon as they came in, I went out to the course and was hitting balls straighter and further and with less dispersion. 

However... 1. I am also constantly working on improving my swing, so we have to factor that in as a part of the result and 2. I did start to feel some right (I'm right-handed) elbow and forearm strain,

So fast forward again to this season (and skip over some of the club changes stories!) to when I decide to go for an irons fitting - I end up with another set of Cobras but this time the King OS (I was playing a King OS 5i then the F6s) and with Recoil 807s in them (available thru fitters only; weight about 82 grams).

Well... my iron striking has taken another big step forward! Making better contact, getting better ball flight, getting the ball closer .. more often .. to my target and yeah have picked up a bunch of distance. AND - the elbow strain is gone, LOVE the Recoils .. would not switch back into steel. 

So, long story short - based on my experience I'd suggest to temper your initial enthusiasm for the steel shafts and re-test if possible, and outdoors if possible, Also, if and when you purchase look for a "playability" guarantee so you can bring them back and swap into graphite later, if you want. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I'm playing steel right now and I'm wanting to go back to graphite.

I had a set with Aerotech Steel Fiber shafts and I LOVED them!! Probably should have kept them just so I could put the shafts in future irons

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I went to graphite due to some wrist issues a couple of years ago and have loved it. Pain is gone so could go back to steel but prefer the graphite. Currently playing i95's in one set and veylix in another. I find both to spin less and stay straighter than the c taper or x100 i used to play

Archived