Our Sponsors

Photo

Curious - steel shafts or graphite shafts in irons. Read On.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Sparksjr

Sparksjr

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationKnoxville TN
  • Handicap:7

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:52 AM

I may be a black sheep here, but I am 27 and I recently switched to graphite shafts in my irons. I got fitted for them and ended up going to Veylix Alpina 65g shafts. The nice thing about getting fitted is that the data doesn't lie. I picked up 3 mph club head speed which really increased my distance. The funny thing was that I actually hit these shafts straighter than any others I tested, so it was hard to deny that they were the shafts for me.

In tournaments recently I have received some odd looks about playing graphite shafts but the scores have been great thus far. Overall I think you just need to get fitted in order to see what may work best for your swing.

Baaaaa baaaaa

I'm 35 and play recoil 110 in my irons. I know what you mean about the looks you get. But the scores and the lack of back pain don't lie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: ​Z-Star Yellow

#17 EthanSterlingPrice

EthanSterlingPrice

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • LocationWhitney Texas
  • Handicap:4.5

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

I'm on the younger end of the spectrum (23) and use steel but at an event last year I did get to try a graphite iron shaft that was really amazing but also really expensive (sorry, can't remember the model). So I'm definitely not against graphite if it fitted me and I had the funds but right now I'm good with my current setup.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Right Handed
4.5 handicap
Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.
3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.
Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.
Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.
Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

#18 strokerAce

strokerAce

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,620 posts
  • LocationFRANKLIN, MA
  • Handicap:13

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

I'm not so sure if it is the material of the shaft (steel/graphite) as it is the weight of the shaft.

I've tried 110g graphite shafts that felt heavy.  Today's graphite isn't what graphite used to be years ago.

I would concentrate on the weight of the shaft more.  When I was getting fit I tried both and ended up with 95g steel shafts.

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 12.7hc

---- Driver  Cobra King F7   UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 6F4   

---- 3 metal  TEE E8 15*  Fujikara 62S

---- Hybrid  TEE EX9 Tour 18*  UST Recoil ES 780 F4s 

---- Hybrid  Titleist 816 H1 21*  Diamana red 60s

---- Irons  TWG Sterling single length 5-P  TT XP90s

---- Wedges  Ping Glide 2 50/54/58  TT XP95

---- Putter  Odyssey ProType Black #9  black shaft round grip

Twitter:      @strokerAce21

Instagram: strokerace210

Facebook: Jason.Humes

previous reviews: TomTom 2 Golf GPS Watch  Ping Glide2.0 Wedges  Cobra King F7 driver w/Arccos Connect

#19 Jw452

Jw452

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Handicap:8.6

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

I recently replaced the KBS shafts with Padderson Kinetics in all of my Apex pro irons. Superb results! I play hardpan a lot, and these don't shock my elbows. Great flight and spin characteristics.

#20 cksurfdude

cksurfdude

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,375 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Handicap:~18

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

I know this question is going to end up about get fitted which I always do but, I just wanted an opinion from my fellow members about this. I've turned 65 and have used graphite shafts in my irons for some time. I recently hit the Cobra F7 One, Callaway Steelhead and the TaylorMade M2 irons which all had steel shafts. I didn't get any numbers but, I was striking the ball dead center on almost every swing with each club. They all felt heavier than my current ones but, the funny thing was, I felt like I was swinging the club faster than I normally do with the graphite shafts. My imagination or am I on to something I've been missing for awhile and should consider it when I do buy new irons and get fitted?

I had a very similar experience...

I'm 61 now and only started playing about 8 years ago. My "starter set" (cheapo's until I was sure I was committed to the game) (yeah, yeah - now I should "be committed", ha) had steel shafts but the very next season I upgraded to a set of "real" irons - R9s - with graphite shafts and felt like those were Da Bomb! Believed they really helped me start to develop my iron striking.

So fast forward a few years to where I start looking more and more at new irons that .. supposedly .. give you more distance with more forgiveness. Did a number of tests / demos at stores and ended up with the Cobra F6. Then I tested that club with the stock graphite vs. the stock steel (FST approx 100 grams). Note this was _not_ via an official fitting .. just me hitting them in the bay at the store. 

When I hit the steel I'd thought, "Wow!", so I went with those. As soon as they came in, I went out to the course and was hitting balls straighter and further and with less dispersion. 

However... 1. I am also constantly working on improving my swing, so we have to factor that in as a part of the result and 2. I did start to feel some right (I'm right-handed) elbow and forearm strain,

So fast forward again to this season (and skip over some of the club changes stories!) to when I decide to go for an irons fitting - I end up with another set of Cobras but this time the King OS (I was playing a King OS 5i then the F6s) and with Recoil 807s in them (available thru fitters only; weight about 82 grams).

Well... my iron striking has taken another big step forward! Making better contact, getting better ball flight, getting the ball closer .. more often .. to my target and yeah have picked up a bunch of distance. AND - the elbow strain is gone, LOVE the Recoils .. would not switch back into steel. 

So, long story short - based on my experience I'd suggest to temper your initial enthusiasm for the steel shafts and re-test if possible, and outdoors if possible, Also, if and when you purchase look for a "playability" guarantee so you can bring them back and swap into graphite later, if you want. 

WITB^ of a right-handed 61 y.o. "aspiring" ;) player ...

Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (Kuro Kage Silver Tini)

Callaway XR16 5W  (Motore Speeder Red)

Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)

Cobra King OS 5i-9i (Recoil 807)

Callaway Apex CF16 PW (Recoil 760)

Callaway MD3 50-10/S (R300) and 54-10/S (S200)

Callaway X-Jaws 58-08

MLA Tour XDream Black Edition w/Forward Golf grip.

^ currently ... subject to change at any time!

#21 TBT

TBT

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 906 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Handicap:15

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

I'm playing steel right now and I'm wanting to go back to graphite.

I had a set with Aerotech Steel Fiber shafts and I LOVED them!! Probably should have kept them just so I could put the shafts in future irons

Honored to be chosen as the winner of the MGS Cobra Connect Challenge

COBRA King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F3 Shaft w/ Cobra Connect Technology
STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES ON MY DREAM BAG COURTESY OF COBRA AND MGS!

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

#22 aellis13

aellis13

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Handicap:5

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

I went to graphite due to some wrist issues a couple of years ago and have loved it. Pain is gone so could go back to steel but prefer the graphite. Currently playing i95's in one set and veylix in another. I find both to spin less and stay straighter than the c taper or x100 i used to play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Our Sponsors