Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Couldn't find a headcover I liked...

So I've been looking for a Lime green headcover for a while for my Squareback. I didn't want to buy the custom shop one because I really am not in love with it, plus without sending the putter (which I customized) back it's kind of hard to get one without going the fleabay/astronomically high price route. I also am not really in love with the design on it.

I also checked into an AM&E headcover. Unfortunately, as a consumer, I can't buy direct from them, plus they don't have any lime green material I was crazy about.

After doing some research and thinking, I decided "hey, I can do this. It can't be that hard to make one." So my quest began. I located a lime material I liked and ordered a yard of it (waay more than I need, but that's the smallest quantity I could order).

It arrived today. And in my anxiousness, I started figuring and refiguring and getting everything to size like I wanted it. After making my template, I cut one out and proceeded to screw up the sewing on it. (I've only sewed once before this, and I forgot to change the needle to accomodate the UV resistant thread. Needless to say, I screwed the first attempt up. After a little instruction from the fiance (who I bought the sewing machine for), I got everything straightened out). After realizing my error, I swapped needles, cut out another template and hammered down. I'm to the point where I need to foam it and add the faux fur, but those haven't arrived yet. Needless to say, I'm kind of stuck at the moment. I didn't have one hitch with the second attempt and it looks great, IMO, so far.

Here's where I'm at thus far:

Flash off: DSC02298.jpg

Flash on: DSC02299.jpg

Once the foam and faux fur get here (another distributor), I'm gonna finish her up. After getting everything figured out and sewing, I have a lot less time in this than I thought I would at this point. I'll post an update after the rest of the material get here and I get it finished up. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to do a magnetic closure that's hidden in a pocket inside the headcover or if I'll go with velcro. Velcro would be the easier route, but the magnetized way is cleaner looking. I'm also iffy about the magnets though because if they don't stick, well, it's one and done with this. I'll likely end up doing high strength velcro on the first run. Let me know what you guys think.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Nice work! I'm a big fan of lime green as well, so nice choice on the color. As far as magnets vs. velcro, I'm huge on the magnets right now, wouldn't use velcro if you paid me, but I can definitely appreciate why you'd want to use it on this first attempt. Another thought would be to sew it up and just slide it on and off - I've done this with a number of old velcro covers that I wanted to game (though it might not work with a Squareback). Keep us posted.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

If this turns out nice, you might need to post up a "how to"... I'm having a hard time finding a cover I like...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Well, update. The material came in. And I tried to finish the one I'd started. It was a mistake to sew it before putting in the foam and faux fur. So I scrapped that one and tried again. Managed to get the second one together, but still haven't got it like I want it yet. Will give a progress update though with pics shortly. I do know I need to practice my sewing, being as this is the second time I've ever sewed (the first being the first try at this).

Anyway, here's the one I finished and don't really like that much. (Oh and the velcro idea, while it'll work, the velcro I have available just won't cut it.)

DSC02335.jpg

DSC02334.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

DSC02332.jpg

Hopefully I'll get this in the next attempt or two so I have material left over to make another one or 3 with.

I did learn that the little lip around the back edge (where the putter goes in) would be cleaner looking if I'd start the stitch in the seam that goes up the underside. Well, didn't really learn that, just kind of thought afterward about how or what I needed to do to make it cleaner and that's my hypothesis.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks sweet, I think the standard studio headcover fits a bit tight on my squareback, I was surprised it didnt have its own headcover, I agree about velcro, would love a headcover with magnets instead of velcro.

That's pretty good period! To me, it looks classic- simple with clean lines, with an updated color. Very impressive! I forgot to add: there's something special about something you built from scratch, with your own imagination and ingenuity... you could say I have an appreciation for people that do stuff like that.

I'm joining the rest in saying magnets are better (IMO). An older headcover I had always collected grass clippings and dirt if ever I dropped it (which, sadly, was a lot). My WH XG #7 has a magnetic closure- much better!

Archived