TESTERS WANTED! ×

Nerves - How do you handle it?

ole gray

Anyone who has ever played with me knows I am a laid back let's have a fun day in the sun kind of guy. With that said there are times when the old nerves kick in. Teeing up in front of my local senior crowd is no longer an issue. We have a local rule where you can hit two off the first tee if needed. They only laugh at ya if you miss both balls... :o) Anyways hitting in front of a large group of strangers can be a bit uncomfortable. Especially if you're tee game sucks.

The other thing that rattles my cage a bit is playing in front of a trained golf teacher. I'm doing that today and although he is a blast to play with, I feel like he is always watching my swing. He's my buddy who use to play college golf and taught golf for several years. He just recently gave up his Class A card. I've played with him enough times I should be comfortable and well after a couple of beers, I am...

What causes your heart to pump up a notch and how do you handle it?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Great topic here 👍 I've always believed that nerves should exist on the first tee, if they don't then I will give up the game. Anyway, I think the best thing for me if I have nerves is to have my swing thought always be "85%". If I remind myself that before every swing it helps me to not overswing (I tense a bit with nerves). But most importantly stay within the current shot only and don't worry about what may happen.

Cheers

- Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Nerves are the great thing about golf. We all feel them and react in different ways. It could be that first tee shot in front of strangers or a 4' putt to win the bet with your friends. Golf is about how you manage your nerves and learning to do so.

For me I have come to welcome nerves and I know I'm doing something right when I start to feel them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I only really get nervous in big tournaments. I try to start a tournament day with some light balance and stretching yoga, it really helps me relax. Then I stick with a very specific routine. None of the munis here have driving ranges, so I will use the below routine.

1. Driving range (within 15 minute drive of course) - 1.5hr before tee time

2. Drive to course with favorite music blaring, arriving 45 minutes before tee time.

3. Shake some hands and kiss some babies for about 15 minutes.

4. Practice green 30 minutes prior to tee time.

5. Leave practice green 5 minutes prior to tee time.

6. Breathing exercises while visualizing how you're gonna play the 1st hole.

7. Grip it and rip it.

I don't like playing courses with houses right in the hole. Not because of the house, but the potential kids, adult, dog, etc that could be a accidental target. I aim away. Far far away. That's the only thing that helps me.

I hate it and get nervous when they pair me up with really low handicappers in men's league. I never play as well as with guys with similar handicaps.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

What helped me a lot with nerves is the pre-shot routine. It helps keep everything consistent and also doesn't let your mind wander to things around you.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

I handle mine by topping one of the first tee. Nothing settles you down like bogeying the first hole to get you behind the day

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I guess I'm the anti Bones unless that's what he always does.

I'm with Burk, there should always be a little twinge there. Of course it's more than a twinge in a bigger tournament but regardless the key for me is same old, same old. Every round the same, drop off the clubs at the bag drop, park far enough away to get the blood flowing on the walk, check in, stretch, hit about 15 short irons, two or three drivers, another short iron, hit a couple of chips to get a sense of how the ball reacts on the ground there, stroke a couple of putts to gauge the speed and show up at the first tee. It all takes less than half an hour.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I guess I'm the anti Bones unless that's what he always does.

I'm with Burk, there should always be a little twinge there. Of course it's more than a twinge in a bigger tournament but regardless the key for me is same old, same old. Every round the same, drop off the clubs at the bag drop, park far enough away to get the blood flowing on the walk, check in, stretch, hit about 15 short irons, two or three drivers, another short iron, hit a couple of chips to get a sense of how the ball reacts on the ground there, stroke a couple of putts to gauge the speed and show up at the first tee. It all takes less than half an hour.

Most of my rounds are stress free.....hop out of the car 5 minutes before tee time and go.

I only do the above for tournament rounds.

I hate it and get nervous when they pair me up with really low handicappers in men's league. I never play as well as with guys with similar handicaps.

I'm the opposite. I like to play with people that are better than me. They know they are better and so do I, so there are no nerves going on...lol.

Like your routine, similar to mine.......but, I never see babies on the course or did you mean babes  :P

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I still get nervous whenever I play whether it's been with guys I've played with for years, a tournament or an Impromptu casual round. I usually put on relaxing music on my way to the course and while warming up. On the first tee I take a deep breath and just go with the flow.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Hitting in front of a large group of strangers can be a bit uncomfortable. Especially if you're tee game sucks.

The other thing that rattles my cage a bit is playing in front of a trained golf teacher. I'm doing that today and although he is a blast to play with, I feel like he is always watching my swing.

What causes your heart to pump up a notch and how do you handle it?

I have to disagree with most of the approaches thus offered. In my opinion you guys that accept or even embrace the nerves are severely limiting your thinking. Yes there are accepted methods of calming runaway nerves (slow down, conscious pulmonary function, etc) that can usher you through a jam but I would characterize those as first aid treatment ignoring the cause and subsequently perpetuating an unproductive cycle.

The more poignant question "Why does XYZ make you nervous?". Invariably the answer is ego. And it's really showing through in your words above. Until you can dissociate your personal results with the notion they are a reflection of your self worth in the eyes of others, all of the wonderful suggestions for dealing with nerves are akin to employing swing tips from amateurs. The ego is wired to avoid embarrassment. So when the ego is doing the driving, your thought processes stray from a clear minded dead aim orientation into avoiding what you conceive to be the height of personal shame (whiff, top, sky, shank). And while the ego may indeed prevent the worst, it is most certainly not the path leading to your best golf.

Put simply, ole gray is the same hillbilly badass strolling the course solo as standing on the #1 tee in the club championship. Embrace your badass nature, pards!

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I know throughout my life I've struggled with getting nervous whether it be with public speaking, performing in front of an audience, or playing golf in front of strangers.

I have yet to find a cure, which I know is not helpful. But I am now doing my best not to fight it and instead to just accept it and do my best to focus on the task at hand.

In the past it seems when I've tried to fight it and I get upset with myself that I am nervous, that it's only made things worse.

Just my two cents and sorry it's not more helpful.

I'm in the Street11 camp. A pre-shot routine helps when there are too many thoughts rattling around your brain.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I have to disagree with most of the approaches thus offered. In my opinion you guys that accept or even embrace the nerves are severely limiting your thinking. Yes there are accepted methods of calming runaway nerves (slow down, conscious pulmonary function, etc) that can usher you through a jam but I would characterize those as first aid treatment ignoring the cause and subsequently perpetuating an unproductive cycle.

The more poignant question "Why does XYZ make you nervous?". Invariably the answer is ego. And it's really showing through in your words above. Until you can dissociate your personal results with the notion they are a reflection of your self worth in the eyes of others, all of the wonderful suggestions for dealing with nerves are akin to employing swing tips from amateurs. The ego is wired to avoid embarrassment. So when the ego is doing the driving, your thought processes stray from a clear minded dead aim orientation into avoiding what you conceive to be the height of personal shame (whiff, top, sky, shank). And while the ego may indeed prevent the worst, it is most certainly not the path leading to your best golf.

Put simply, ole gray is the same hillbilly badass strolling the course solo as standing on the #1 tee in the club championship. Embrace your badass nature, pards!

You're a smart man . If we could get those dayuuummm egos out of the way, We could whup some butt

Cleveland

Playing in front of people doesn't bother me as much anymore, but if I don't feel comfortable over a shot or feel like I didn't prepare well (mostly happens at tournaments I entered on short notice) then I can get pretty rattled and the only real solution for me is to adjust my game plan for that day and work hard to be better prepared next time.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Most of my rounds are stress free.....hop out of the car 5 minutes before tee time and go.

I only do the above for tournament rounds.

I would recommend using your "fun" rounds to practice for the real thing. The more normal you can make tournaments seem the more often you will perform up to expectations.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So do you folks like to know where you are in a match or tournament? Some players prefer to keep their heads down and play one hole at a time while some prefer to know exactly where they stand... I'm on the focus on the hole and not the outcome kind of guy. If I put too much pressure on my game to catch or hold a lead, it will back fire on me. I know I'm better as I try and play within myself over trying to force something to happen.

Cleveland

It's like lifting weight the more you practice and the heavier the weight the stronger you'd become.

I'd shoot my handicap since the beginning of the year but last week I played with my old golfing buddy I added 3 strokes each nine trying to show him how much I improved since the last round we played.

It's like lifting weight the more you practice and the heavier the weight the stronger you'd become.

I'd shoot my handicap since the beginning of the year but last week I played with my old golfing buddy I added 3 strokes each nine trying to show him how much I improved since the last round we played.

Been there done that!

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD