Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

How long before you know a golf tip-swing change isn't for you

Big money

Ok,I know this is internet golfers and most of us give up after a half of bucket of balls.But how long do you give a tip or change of swing take effect before you give up or keep it?I for one will give it a season at the most to determine if the change was worth while.I used to golf with a buddy that gave a major swing overhaul five seasons before he gave up on it.He had that demeanor and personality of never giving up which I envy.

How about you ?

Keep it in the short stuff

As soon as it didn't come from my teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Haha. I'm not alone.Im very impatient and want results within a short time frame.Golf-equipment-greens fees-and our time is just too valuable for me to waste on bad hits.As I posted above,one season at the maximum.My scores always fluctuate,but if ball striking is worse than I'm done with it.Not so concerned about what the swing looks like versus how it functions.But have to say making a swing plane change has done wonders for my driving.I might swing on plane with driver and swing steep with my iron game.

As soon as I read it in Golf Digest...but seriously I like to find things out on my own but is only from a pro is when I'll listen.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

If it an unsolicited tip it goes in one ear and out the other. If I am working on something and can't quite get there on my own I may ask for help. Being self taught I am pretty good at figuring things out on my own.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

... I will always remember Andrew Magee saying the pro's are just like am's. When swinging well they have no swing thoughts. When swinging poorly they are always looking for a swing key to get them thru the round. Magee said they usually last a round or two but once he had one that lasted 2 full weeks. Announcer asked him what it was and he didn't remember LOL. Said when it stopped working he moved on to another one and there had been way too many to keep track. 

... As someone that taught full time for 5 years there is nothing worse than practicing the wrong thing or probably worse, practicing the right thing the wrong way. It is always amazing that what we think or feel we are doing, is rarely what it really is. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I did learn my bunker shot from a random YouTube playlist a while back. I couldn't get off the beach to save my life, now i look forward to a green side bunker shot so I can test my practice. It's a strong suit that used to add 5+ strokes to my score.

Most people trying to sell you swing tips begin their pitch with "You wanna feel like...". From experience I can confidently say it doesn't matter how harmless it may seem, if you chase feeling XYZ long enough you will inevitably find yourself lost in the woods both figuratively and literally. The best golfers constantly work on fundamentals and simply play whatever tempo/shot shape they are working with on any given day.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

A swing change is only going to stick once muscle memory and alignment memory have been ingrained. This is why most people give up and trying to get better. As a 2 hdcp, it took me two years to upgrade my swing. Most people are only looking for a quick fix.

I think the sub-question here is: IF IT TOOK A YEAR (OR TWO) TO FIX YOUR GOLF SWING AND ALIGNMENT, WOULD YOU COMMIT TO IT? Even if it meant you would get worse for half a year before making true progress? But at the end you would be guaranteed to be a better, more consistent player.

Would you dedicate the time?

Cheers

- Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

How long? Depends. Perhaps a year or 5 minutes.

Well, this topic fits right in with me currently... a little bit anyway. Some things we read or hear about seem to click or make sense don't they. Whether a swing tip or even a training aid. A few days ago I was watching a Shawn Clement video. He was talking about head position. He said for some people implementing his advice it would be huge. Basically he was advising a slight turn of the head to the right while incorporating a slight tilt. Clements demonstrated this by simulating driving a nail with a hammer into a vertical board. First into the top of the board then into the side of the board.He would show this and then grab an iron and demonstrate the technique again. He also used Spieth as an example. There may have been others too. I forget.

I haven't had time to practice this technique yet. But I have played 2 times over the past two days and tried it. During both rounds and after the front 9 I went back to my normal position. I kind of like what Clement is teaching here and it strikes a chord with me. However, it's different of course (to me anyway) and slightly uncomfortable. I'm going to have to practice it for a while and see.

Below is the video I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxUiLVELXts

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

A swing change is only going to stick once muscle memory and alignment memory have been ingrained. This is why most people give up and trying to get better. As a 2 hdcp, it took me two years to upgrade my swing. Most people are only looking for a quick fix.

I think the sub-question here is: IF IT TOOK A YEAR (OR TWO) TO FIX YOUR GOLF SWING AND ALIGNMENT, WOULD YOU COMMIT TO IT? Even if it meant you would get worse for half a year before making true progress? But at the end you would be guaranteed to be a better, more consistent player.

Would you dedicate the time?

Cheers

- Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Nope, I will not manipulate my body to have a different swing in an effort to make a lower score, I don't want to end up like Tiger.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think the one swing tip that I have been conscience of for the last several years is my swing plane. I've gone through multiple golf teachers and was taught boo coo tips on how to fix this, practiced those tips on the range for hours, and still all too often swing too flat. It may be due to my balance problem ( my right leg is 2 inches shorter than my left). I've had several surgeries on my right knee and unfortunately my total leg length was altered. It feels like I'm trying to shift my weight out of a hole. Heck while trying to chip, I like to put the majority of my weight on my left leg, it's a chore to keep the weight on the correct side. Now since I've gone into why it's sooooooo hard for me to make a permanent swing change (correct plane), I still work on it. I'm very dogmatic about not giving up.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been about two weeks since I first posted about this swing - setup tip. I've been out practicing some and using the method Shawn describes in the video link above. I think there's something to it. For me anyway. As we all know there are millions of golf tips to be found out there. For me some "click" and others don't. Same with training aids.

For me it's been slightly uncomfortable (for lack of a better word) but mostly I'm having to break years of muscle memory. But I'm liking what I'm seeing. So far anyway. I'm still swinging the same it seems but only adjusting my head position prior to taking the club back. Pretty simple. So how are my results so far?

I'm seeing and feeling more solid ball striking and higher ball flight at times. And.... yesterday I shot my lowest round of the year. 74. I think that's partially due to this new tip. I'm going to keep working with this setup so that it becomes my new standard.

I recommend giving it a try. But first watch the video linked above and see if it makes sense to you and your game.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It's been about two weeks since I first posted about this swing - setup tip. I've been out practicing some and using the method Shawn describes in the video link above. I think there's something to it. For me anyway. As we all know there are millions of golf tips to be found out there. For me some "click" and others don't. Same with training aids.

For me it's been slightly uncomfortable (for lack of a better word) but mostly I'm having to break years of muscle memory. But I'm liking what I'm seeing. So far anyway. I'm still swinging the same it seems but only adjusting my head position prior to taking the club back. Pretty simple. So how are my results so far?

I'm seeing and feeling more solid ball striking and higher ball flight at times. And.... yesterday I shot my lowest round of the year. 74. I think that's partially due to this new tip. I'm going to keep working with this setup so that it becomes my new standard.

I recommend giving it a try. But first watch the video linked above and see if it makes sense to you and your game.

nice job.For me it's been almost 3 months of opening the clubface wide open all the way down into the follow thru.The teacher showed me how this really shallows me out and gets me on plane everytime.Had some very dismal outings, but last round was impressive for me.It feels great and looks awesome when I execute it correctly.Im giving it this season and see what happens

Archived