Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

DIY putter?

I created my own putter. I just could not find the right combination of weight, head shape, and swing characteristics. What I created is a putter that is relatively heavy, with a cylindrical head. The shaft has one bend not unlike many putters, and it is a little more than standard length. (I am 6'5"). What I like most is in two parts. First, when I strike a putt, the ball rolls immediately. Second is the feel when I use the club. It feels like it is a pendulum in my hands. I get a kick out of the way someone playing in my group will look and ask "where did that come from?". This putter works great and delivers exactly what I want. Have any MGS members created their own putter?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

We need pictures!

☝️Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Let's see this bad boy!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I have thought about doing something like this too! I think it would be awesome

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

OK there is interest in DYI putters. Here are photos of my putter. Hopefully there is enough information contained in the images to give you an accurate idea of what I built. Using this putter, my accuracy increased very significantly. It may look odd and very rough but it performs like a perfect beauty.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpyIMG_0166.JPGIMG_0168.JPGIMG_0169.JPGIMG_0171.JPGIMG_0172.JPGIMG_0174.JPG

That thing is outrageous. I love it.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

This is definitely one of a kind.

OK, there is an interest in DYI putters. Things you should know. I am not a photographer. The photos should give you a good idea of what I built. The photo that shows a coin gives a great idea of the size of the cylinder. The coin is a US dollar coin. I call the club the buckshot because of the coin. The head started as a hollow SS tube. I spent a good deal of time determining where to let in the shaft. Once that was done I filled the tube with epoxy and lead birdshot. Getting the balance exactly the way I wanted it took time, but I persisted and ended up with exactly what I had in mind and wanted. I chose to paint it white because I did not like the look of the stainless tube I started with. The two black lines are 1) the center sweet spot, and 2) the line that is hidden by the shaft when I am perfectly over the ball. I hope the MGS community will not be too rough on me or my creation. What I know is that with this putter I am sinking far more putts than I ever have before. One last thing, in at least one photo I have shown that I set up with the putter well behind the ball. This allows me to start my stroke with very little back swing, thus reducing variation that may creep into the stroke during the back swing. Probably not for everyone but very effective for me.

Harvey, you are proof that is goes to show that putting is one of those things that is different for every single person. What works for one person, may be terrible for the next. No matter how it looks, as long as you can sink putts with it that's all that matters.

Tru Roll made something like it. I like your style, it matters what's under the hood not what the body looks like. I wouldn't be able to make it balance. Good work sir.

attachicon.gifIMG_0832.JPG

- Alan

Thanks Shankster. I appreciate your support. I have to say that I also appreciate the feedback from the MGS community. I am looking forward to participating more. Take dead aim, Harvey.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks Shankster. I appreciate your support. I have to say that I also appreciate the feedback from the MGS community. I am looking forward to participating more. Take dead aim, Harvey.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Your welcome sir. Romans built Rome one Brick at a time. Keep up the good work!

- Alan

Keep up the great work, any updates on how it handles on the greens? You sinking em from everywhere? You've got the wheels spinning in my head

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Keep up the great work, any updates on how it handles on the greens? You sinking em from everywhere? You've got the wheels spinning in my head

Actually, living in Michigan my season is just getting started. That is not to say I have not used the putter (buck-shot). Last season was a real hoot using a putter no one had ever seen the likes of before. To answer your question directly, yes I am. The three putt is extremely rare. Even really long putts are 90% of the time within literally, inches from the cup. So yes I am sinking putts from all over. My last 18 hole round consisted of 8 one putts 9 two putts and 1 three putt. That was a 29 putt round. This is not something I expect to happen every time but it proved my design and just as importantly my technique. I would love to discuss anything about putting if there is an interest.

That thing is awesome! It reminds me of a hot rod made out of an old WWll bomb. Love the design and the fact you made it yourself. I never really take much notice to what others are playing, but that would definitely catch my attention on the first green

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

OK there is interest in DYI putters. Here are photos of my putter. Hopefully there is enough information contained in the images to give you an accurate idea of what I built. Using this putter, my accuracy increased very significantly. It may look odd and very rough but it performs like a perfect beauty.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpyattachicon.gifIMG_0166.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0168.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0169.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0171.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0172.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0174.JPG

It looks like a torpedo... I like it.

Brian K

Orange County CA

hugo-boss.jpgSilvermere-Custom-Fitting-PXG-140x140.pn

Epic Sub - Zero Driver
           Callaway XR16 - 3 Wood
          Callaway XR16 - 5 Hybrid
                     PXG 0311
             Titleist SM7 50, 55, 60
                Scotty Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the fact that you made it exactly like you wanted and it performs perfectly is the most important. Is it pretty? no, but it gets the job done for you better than anything you could find or buy. bravo! That takes some brains and balls.

Even though you'd be without it for a few weeks,

it'd be pretty sweet to send into the PGA for a conformity ruling.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Hey I'd take a look at it if it meant sinking putts

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I love it! This game is so much fun, so great when players use imagination and creativity to play. It is terrific to get away from all the know it all people on TV who tell us you have to do it this way, or the equipment must contain that. Bottom line, if it works, it is a go. Hope you get back to us with more DIY projects.

4-P Hogan Edge (2018 version)

52 degree Hogan Equalier wedge

Arnold Palmer The Original  putter

Founder Club  hybrid 18 degrees

Taylor Made Burner 3 & 5 wood.

Wow, the fact that you made it exactly like you wanted and it performs perfectly is the most important. Is it pretty? no, but it gets the job done for you better than anything you could find or buy. bravo! That takes some brains and balls.

Even though you'd be without it for a few weeks,

it'd be pretty sweet to send into the PGA for a conformity ruling.

How might I go about having my putter judged conforming or not conforming? Is there a resource I could turn to?

Archived