TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stray Away from Pro V1?

Shankster

Is that duo spin as soft as the original duo? Sometimes I though I whiffed when I played a round with those things they were so soft.

Duo spin is about 10% firmer than the regular duo.

- Alan

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't tell a difference with the Wilson FG Tour and the Pro V1 on the chipping green. I did back up a Wilson with my new wedges from 30 yards. Usually just a hop and stop from there.

Those FG Tour are impossible to find. Even our local rep didn't have any. And I've known him for 15 years. So I don't think he was holding out on me.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Those FG Tour are impossible to find. Even our local rep didn't have any. And I've known him for 15 years. So I don't think he was holding out on me.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I know, even amazon is price gouging. But they just might replace the Titleist.

- Alan

The Pro V1 buy 3 get one deal knocks the price down to $36.75 a dozen.  For that and free customization, I could justify it.  I don't lose many balls on the courses I play, so 4 dozen should take me into next season.  It's my first rodeo with a premium ball, I do like the short game feel, haven't noticed a difference in the long game.

WITB
Driver: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha udesign
Woods: :callaway-small: XR 3w, 7w
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX EZ Forged 2016 4-G
Wedge: :ping-small: Eye 2 Gorge S
Putter: Odyssey Works Versa 2-Ball Fang

Ball: :callaway-small: Supersoft 2017

The Pro V1 buy 3 get one deal knocks the price down to $36.75 a dozen. For that and free customization, I could justify it. I don't lose many balls on the courses I play, so 4 dozen should take me into next season. It's my first rodeo with a premium ball, I do like the short game feel, haven't noticed a difference in the long game.

I gained about 8 yards off the tee with the driver with the Pro V. Hopefully gain 8 more on top of that with Mr. Wilson. Heading back for round 2 at the practice green. I brought all 5 of my putters. One of them has to work or I will just use my wedges to putt with from now on.

- Alan

The Pro V1 buy 3 get one deal knocks the price down to $36.75 a dozen.  For that and free customization, I could justify it.  I don't lose many balls on the courses I play, so 4 dozen should take me into next season.  It's my first rodeo with a premium ball, I do like the short game feel, haven't noticed a difference in the long game.

... Yup, that is a good deal. Srixon has the same deal right now with their Z Star and XV. Buy 3 with personalization and get the 4th free. At $39.99 a dozen that comes down to $29.99 a dozen and the 2017 Z Star is my favorite premium ball. They made a dimple design change that makes it even more stable in the wind. At 100 mph swing speed the Z Star has a perfect compression for me, short game performance is just outstanding and a soft but not too soft feel. Lots of good ball deals out there right now! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Round 2 sucked. Still can't putt. But Wilson has the slight edge right now. I hit one with my Hogan wedge... like butter. I recommend anyone with MB's that might want forgiveness to give the Wilson a whack. It's soft yet gives feedback and performs as good or better than the Pro V for me. Yes I'll do an official ball review, gotta get an entire round in first.

The ball matters but it doesn't if that means anything.

Every ball performs a bit differently so find one that you like and stick with it. There are way too many good ones out there and we all swing it a tad differently and certainly we all play under different conditions so knock yourself out and enjoy.

Rory doing something has very little to do with our games. No strike that nothing to do with our games. A shots that's pushed 10 feet off line in the wind at the wrong time could cost him half a million dollars and a title. Our courses aren't set up like that and we have no business trying to be that precise. Even if we had that ability we don't have the kind of practice time to refine it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I pretend I am a pro. I really get myself into trouble when I do that. The only reason why I've been playing the ProV1 is because it's the ball, well the Professional 90 was the ball that my dad gave me back in the day. The "Titleist" name was branded in my brain, and it's just what I grab. But I'm planning on trying a few different brands to find out if the grass is greener.

They're all so similar! Find one you like the way it feels and get excited to pick up and out of the hole! ;)

Thought I'd be a TP5X player but prefer the feel of the TP5! Performance differences were minimal. Do what you want! Haha!

@BryanGolf

Cobra F7+ w/Project X HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5

Cobra F7 3 Wood w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
TaylorMade M2 5 Wood w/Graphite Design DI 8X
TaylorMade UDI 3 Iron w/Project X HZRDUS Black 105g 6.5
TaylorMade P770 4 Iron, P750 5-PW w/True Temper DGTI X100
TaylorMade Milled Grind SB 54w/DGTI S400
​Titleist Vokey SM6 60* M Grind w/DGTI S400
TaylorMade Spider Tour Blue

My wife is a social Golfer. Plays maybe 9 then complains about golfing taking too long. Give her a few beers and she'll just sit in the cart on her phone, lol. She doesn't care what ball she plays as long as it's colorful so I don't invest a lot on Pro V's on her, just colored top flight or low end volvik balls.

MDGolfHacker

You're wife sounds a lot like my girlfriend lol

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Last week I played the front with my regular NXT Tour ball. On a whim I played the back with a pink Volvik.

Front +5

Back E

Go figure

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• 1 month later...

I think it was Tom Wishon who said that you should pick a ball based on how it performs on shots into the green.  Short irons and partial swings as there is no noticeable difference between the urethane balls off the tee.  I subscribe to this theory.  

I certainly like ProV1s but Snell MTB, TaylorMade Tour Preferred (and all the Penta, Lethal variants) and Project (a) work well for me.  I go used, unless Snell.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Well the golf ball is the only thing you hit every shot during your round so it's smart to play a good golf ball. That being said, a higher price does not mean it's a better ball. I stopped playing the pro v1x and switched to Callaway chrome soft. Like you I had two hole in one with the pro v1x but I can't count the amount of times I have gotten up and down for par saves with these Callaway balls they just stop on any surfuce.

Long story short play the ball you feel is right. If you are looking for a cheaper ball try Vice or Snell. A few guys in my regular group play these and swear by them.

I think it was Tom Wishon who said that you should pick a ball based on how it performs on shots into the green.  Short irons and partial swings as there is no noticeable difference between the urethane balls off the tee.  I subscribe to this theory.  

I certainly like ProV1s but Snell MTB, TaylorMade Tour Preferred (and all the Penta, Lethal variants) and Project (a) work well for me.  I go used, unless Snell.

I have to agree that short irons in is the big difference. The roll out of many balls today makes it hard to really zero in on which one is better off the tee, so feel is the confidence builder agian there too. For some of us that can remember the Balatas the search for that long butter ball was an exercise in futility. <_>

I've moved to the B330S. Nice and soft around the greens, iron play is , and the driver loves to compress it well! Not going anywhere for a while.

This may sound weird: but the Pro V1 sounds chalky to me. The V1x sounds like plastic and the B330S sounds like music what I think a golf ball should. Firm but just the right amount of jiggle... and knows how to spin it's way around the dance floor.

I'm playing the W/S Duo-Urethane for about 25 or so rounds now. Tried it on a whim, love it.

Straightest urethane ball off driver for me, by far. Good distance (longer for me than the Chrome Soft, a bit shorter than the B330), decent spin for my game. Not backing up too often but hop & stop. Love the soft feel.

Like the FG Tour also but the straight flight of the Duo-U wins.

I've moved to the B330S. Nice and soft around the greens, iron play is , and the driver loves to compress it well! Not going anywhere for a while.

This may sound weird: but the Pro V1 sounds chalky to me. The V1x sounds like plastic and the B330S sounds like music what I think a golf ball should. Firm but just the right amount of jiggle... and knows how to spin it's way around the dance floor.

I might pick up a sleeve before my next round to give them a go. All signs point to "yes" from what I've read so far, and from the ball fitting tool on their webpage.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I might pick up a sleeve before my next round to give them a go. All signs point to "yes" from what I've read so far, and from the ball fitting tool on their webpage.

Yeah. I have been a die hard ProV1/V1x guy for the past well forever... the B330S is a very, very good ball. It fits right in the middle of the V1/V1x. I get a nice flat ball flight and not too much spin with the driver. Fits "my" swing perfectly. Seems to stop better with wedges too.

- Alan

I think it was Tom Wishon who said that you should pick a ball based on how it performs on shots into the green. Short irons and partial swings as there is no noticeable difference between the urethane balls off the tee. I subscribe to this theory.

I certainly like ProV1s but Snell MTB, TaylorMade Tour Preferred (and all the Penta, Lethal variants) and Project (a) work well for me. I go used, unless Snell.

I used to think the same thing, but having a ball that reduces sidespin can help those with a hook or slice keep the ball somewhat in play instead of going OB and taking a penalty right off the bat. Hard to go low if you can't even get to the green. I'm torn a bit right now about it. While I was testing the E6 soft/distance, I noticed less sidespin on driver shots and those less than well strucked shots still stayed somewhat inbound. Switched to my gamer (B330-RX's) and lost a ball a few holes later due to a hooked drive. I'll have to test further to see if there is some merit to this.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder