TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stray Away from Pro V1?

Shankster

Because Titliest pays the most people to play their ball?

Fair enough.

But they are the "standard" that other brands use to gauge against. And I'm not going to sugar coat it... I have a hard time using anything but the Pro V1/V1x models. They are the most consistent ball.

This Bridgestone B330S is very good. I could probably kick the Titleist out of the bag permanently. It will be carrying my team this weekend most likely.

I tried the Tour Preffered/X, Cally Chrome Soft/X...

I can't get those balls to do what the V1 does for me.

I was really looking to replace the $50 a box balls with something cheaper but I don't know if I can do it.

- Alan

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to switch from the PROV. Actually like the TP5 series quite a bit but after testing the Bridgestone E6 series that included the new PROV1s am back in the titleist camp.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think they put cocaine in them or some other addictive substance.

- Alan

I'll have to try the Wilson fg tours. Personally I love titliest. I play the trusoft almost exclusively. I did stay away and try the bridgestone e6 soft but just want the same for me

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Happy wife = Happy life.

Myth

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I'll have to try the Wilson fg tours. Personally I love titliest. I play the trusoft almost exclusively. I did stay away and try the bridgestone e6 soft but just want the same for me

If you're gonna try the FG Tour than I'd recommend also trying the Duo-Urethane if you haven't already.

I liked the FG Tour but love the Duo-U because it's straighter off the tee yet similar characteristics otherwise, other than feel; Duo-U feels considerably softer.

Nice thing about playing the Snells is that they really haven't caught on around my area.  So I don't have to worry about marking my ball or wondering about whether the Snell I found in the rough is the one I hit.  Plus they are really good...

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

TP5x is a game changer, durability for one round only tho.

That's the only disadvantage.

It will be the only ball I use of a long time.

High with less spin... perfect

Funny. I played a TP5x for one round so far and it still looks brand new. And that is after hitting a tree and a few bunker shots.

If you says that Titleist is the number 1 OEM when it comes to paying touring pros to use their balls

I know they get paid, but that's around 3/4 of the field.

Since I first started playing it has been "Titleist", everyone played Titleist at the course I grew up at, and it was by no means a rich mans course. It was always a good day to find one out on the course.

I'm not saying other brands are bad by any means. But when you send out your brand with a sleeve of Titleist.. you are already saying that Pro V1's are the standard by saying try these against ours.

I really like Bridgestone's, but after yesterday's round with a ProV1x I'm back at them.

- Alan

Not only does Titleist pay a ton of guys to use their balls, but they also give their balls away to other players http://www.titleist.com/company/sponsorship-donations

And yes, Titleist has been the #1 ball (sales and tour usage) in golf for a long time, so of course other brands are going to use Titleist as the baseline when trying to convince consumers to buy their ball instead

getting my bag ready for today's game and dropped a fresh sleeve of Ksigs in there.  ;)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

And I'm not dismissing the prov1. It's a fantastic ball. But to say that performance is the main reason it's the #1 ball in golf is simply not true.

Kudos to the Titleist marketing group for getting them to that reputation, but as we've are seeing, times already changing and Titleist is losing ball marketshare to callaway, TMaG and Bridgestone.

Titleist is still #1, but the gap is closing because consumers are much more informed now and tour usage isn't as big a selling point as it used to be. TaylorMade is experiencing the same issues with their metal woods

All good stuff. The gap is definitely closing on Ball technology.

I think the tech for metal woods is really just revolving now. Not much else they can do with 460cc tungsten, movable weights, carbon fiber....

Irons... I mean what can you really do with the same stainless steel, carbon steel as the next guy to make it "stand out"

We are in a good era for golf equipment. Looking forward to the new releases this year.

Wasn't referring to technology. There is no technology gap in balls. The sales gap is closing.

Callaway is eating Titleist marketshare at grass roots shops, and callaway, TMaG and Bridgestone are really hurting Titleist at larger retailers.

Wasn't referring to technology. There is no technology gap in balls. The sales gap is closing.

Callaway is eating Titleist marketshare at grass roots shops, and callaway, TMaG and Bridgestone are really hurting Titleist at larger retailers.

My mistake. You forget that I live in the middle of nowhere. Golf shops don't really exist and the "pro shops" at the courses here have 2 choices. Pro V1 or Pro V1x and if you're lucky they might have 2 year old Bridgestones covered in dust.

Now Grey Walls in Marquette has more choices, but the Titleist are always out of stock. PING is the most stocked equipment brand there, Titleist is a close second.

- Alan

Not only does Titleist pay a ton of guys to use their balls, but they also give their balls away to other players http://www.titleist.com/company/sponsorship-donations

And yes, Titleist has been the #1 ball (sales and tour usage) in golf for a long time, so of course other brands are going to use Titleist as the baseline when trying to convince consumers to buy their ball instead

I think you may be lacking context here. All OEMs pay pros to play their product and they all give away tons of product. This is true not just of golf but of virtually all sports industries where pros drive consumer choice. Bridgestone or Callaway would gladly give away just as much product and sign just as many pros as Titleist if they could.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

And I'm not dismissing the prov1. It's a fantastic ball. But to say that performance is the main reason it's the #1 ball in golf is simply not true.

Kudos to the Titleist marketing group for getting them to that reputation, but as we've are seeing, times already changing and Titleist is losing ball marketshare to callaway, TMaG and Bridgestone.

... So very true. I prefer other balls, but it is simply a personal preference. If I could get free balls for the rest of my life I would choose TP5x and then Z Stars. Prov1x would come in 3rd. But the truth is I could play any of them and have very little, if any, difference in performance. The guys on Tour would not be playing Z Stars and TP5's if they had better performance with a ProV1(x). Just look at a Ryder cup alternate shot event and see how they put players together because of their ball choice. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

My mistake. You forget that I live in the middle of nowhere. Golf shops don't really exist and the "pro shops" at the courses here have 2 choices. Pro V1 or Pro V1x and if you're lucky they might have 2 year old Bridgestones covered in dust.

Now Grey Walls in Marquette has more choices, but the Titleist are always out of stock. PING is the most stocked equipment brand there, Titleist is a close second.

- Alan

It's crazy to see a lot of pro shops around me switching over to Callaway from Titleist 

I know they get paid, but that's around 3/4 of the field.

Since I first started playing it has been "Titleist", everyone played Titleist at the course I grew up at, and it was by no means a rich mans course. It was always a good day to find one out on the course.

I'm not saying other brands are bad by any means. But when you send out your brand with a sleeve of Titleist.. you are already saying that Pro V1's are the standard by saying try these against ours.

I really like Bridgestone's, but after yesterday's round with a ProV1x I'm back at them.

- Alan

Listening to the wife finally I see

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

It's crazy to see a lot of pro shops around me switching over to Callaway from Titleist

Callaway is paying serious dollars for that

Bryson DeChambeau

How is the new Pro V1 I really need a ball that acts like a Vice Pro Plus but like a Chrome soft around the greens

Bryson DeChambeau

Callaway is paying serious dollars for that

Actually pro shops pay OEMs to carry the equipment.  Callaway is probably charging less and offering better perks to the local pro to get in the door.  Really smart on their part.

Archived