Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Stray Away from Pro V1?

Shankster

Actually pro shops pay OEMs to carry the equipment. Callaway is probably charging less and offering better perks to the local pro to get in the door. Really smart on their part.

I agree that could be true for the pro shops. I know that Callaway pays to get certain spots at Dicks Sporting Goods and they train the employees on the products also.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are all good. Everyone knows the big brands. Titleist had been marketing the ball for as long as I can remember. Didn't really have much competition 20+ years ago.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But as far as balls back in the late 80's early 90's it was pretty much all Titleist...?

When did Patrick Reed switch to Bridgestone?

Pretty sure he switched after he saw the commercial with tiger in it.... Ha ha ha😂😂😂

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Last month.

Weird he isn't playing Chrome Soft

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I hit both of my hole in ones with a Titleist Pro V1 model, different years. My wife just told me I'm an idiot for even wanted to try anything different.. my plan was to migrate to the Wilson Staff FG Tour.

What do you think?

- Alan

The new FG Tour ball from this year is great. I was stopping 6 irons within a foot. And I've actually been able to spin these around the green. The previous generation was long and straight, but I couldn't get it to sit or check with wedge. You won't be disappointed!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

The new FG Tour ball from this year is great. I was stopping 6 irons within a foot. And I've actually been able to spin these around the green. The previous generation was long and straight, but I couldn't get it to sit or check with wedge. You won't be disappointed!

I've played them. Loved them... A LOT. But I still think the V1 performs the best for me.

- Alan

Myth

Only less "unhappy"

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Nice thing about playing the Snells is that they really haven't caught on around my area. So I don't have to worry about marking my ball or wondering about whether the Snell I found in the rough is the one I hit. Plus they are really good...

One of the things I like about playing the Srixon Z-Star--I don't have to put dots and marks all over it to differentiate it from the million Titleists that are around the golf course.

I have recently tried the new Q-Star Tour, as it is geared towards moderate swing speed like I have. After a couple of rounds, I have found that I like it fine except off the driver; it feels heavier, and I'm certain that I don't get the kind of consistent distance that I do with the Z-Star. I'd have loved to have found a ball that was $10 cheaper per box, but chicks dig the long ball. Thus, the Z-Star shall remain in the bag...

• 2 weeks later...

I have always gone by the strategy of playing the ball that you know what it will do. If you are able to

Predict what it will do, then that will help with long term consistency

Mentally I know that what golf ball I choose probably has little to no effect on my game being a higher handicap golfer. Not to mention I also couldn't justify the price of the premium gold balls. However I still felt I was missing out somehow by playing "lesser balls".

I was pleasantly surprised about how the shape of the AAAA and AAAAA balls on all these used golf ball websites available now. Now I get premium balls (V1x) in really good shape for $15 a dozen.

Curious to know how many people buy new vs first or second quality used.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

Mentally I know that what golf ball I choose probably has little to no effect on my game being a higher handicap golfer. Not to mention I also couldn't justify the price of the premium gold balls. However I still felt I was missing out somehow by playing "lesser balls".

I was pleasantly surprised about how the shape of the AAAA and AAAAA balls on all these used golf ball websites available now. Now I get premium balls (V1x) in really good shape for $15 a dozen.

Curious to know how many people buy new vs first or second quality used.

I buy AAAAA.  With maybe a couple stragglers per box, usually you can't tell them from new.  AAAA usually have a scuff.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

The AAAA I have got recently (only been through 2 buckets), maybe 10-15% have scuffs, but otherwise they seem pretty new, just have sharpie markings on them from time to time. Maybe I have had just had good luck for my first two buckets

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

I found a Pro V 392 today on the course... played the entire back 9 with it. Why did they stop making they ball? Where can I get a few hundred? What compares that is currently being produced? I used to play them, forgot how dang good they were!! Got 10 yards over the 2016 Pro V1 today, and a better trajectory throughout the bag!!

Maybe I'm odd but I always pick a ball based on how well it performs in flight. All urethane balls react the same for me on the green 180 yards and in so I'm more concerned with better card and straighter flight.

Realistically almost all of them play the same. ProV is the shortest off the tee tho for me. MT5 and TP5 are the longest, Srixons for some reason are the only ball the spin noticeably more on the green

Someone PLEASE give Bubba his V1 back!!

I don't think Volvik's are for Bubba.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• SPY VIP

I've been playing a lot of split rounds this year, ball X front and ball Y back as well as full rounds on many brands

Most consistent predictable balls:

Strok Prelux (this ball is the master of spin btw)

Wilson Duo U & FG Tour

Srixon Z Star & XV

and I played 9 with a ProV I'd found and very consistent too

Of note after playing all the balls above + a few others, I also played 9 with a ProV1X and boy is that thing firm lol

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I've been playing a lot of split rounds this year, ball X front and ball Y back as well as full rounds on many brands

Most consistent predictable balls:

Strok Prelux (this ball is the master of spin btw)

Wilson Duo U & FG Tour

Srixon Z Star & XV

and I played 9 with a ProV I'd found and very consistent too

Of note after playing all the balls above + a few others, I also played 9 with a ProV1X and boy is that thing firm lol

I wish the FG Tour was a touch on the firmer side and I'd be a major fan of that ball. Just a bit to marshmallowy on the irons and putter. Finesse shots with the wedges are a dream with them though.

- Alan

I'm a big fan of ChromeSoft balls and the Snell MTB, which is more like an older ProV1 IMO.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I wish the FG Tour was a touch on the firmer side and I'd be a major fan of that ball. Just a bit to marshmallowy on the irons and putter. Finesse shots with the wedges are a dream with them though.

- Alan

Always found them to be so soft. But I have never been better with the wedges. Love them!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Curios for those who play multiple makes: Do you keep only the same brand in the bag at once, or mixed bag?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I used to only have the Pro V in the bag. Now there is a mix of Pro V's, B330S, Wilson FG Tour, and V1x. Going to get some of these "magical" TP5's to try out later this afternoon.

But I usually play the V1 as my "for score" ball, and hit the other ones to try and force my out of the V1 habit. So far I keep coming back.

- Alan

I used to only have the Pro V in the bag. Now there is a mix of Pro V's, B330S, Wilson FG Tour, and V1x. Going to get some of these "magical" TP5's to try out later this afternoon.

But I usually play the V1 as my "for score" ball, and hit the other ones to try and force my out of the V1 habit. So far I keep coming back.

- Alan

I've got a mixed bag as well (ProV, chromesoft, and Z-Star mostly). Been on the fence about the TP5s but reading all the good stuff lately when I get home this weekend I may have to grab a sleeve

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived