Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Stray Away from Pro V1?

Shankster

I've got a mixed bag as well (ProV, chromesoft, and Z-Star mostly). Been on the fence about the TP5s but reading all the good stuff lately when I get home this weekend I may have to grab a sleeve

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'll be putting up a review after I get a round in with them.

- Alan

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play a mixed bag also. Right now have Callaway super soft, Volvik vivid, TM TP5.

If I'm playing 18 I try to stay with one brand for the entire round.

BUT if things go bad I've been knitting switch to C if I can change my luck a little.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I play a mixed bag also. Right now have Callaway super soft, Volvik vivid, TM TP5.

If I'm playing 18 I try to stay with one brand for the entire round.

BUT if things go bad I've been knitting switch to C if I can change my luck a little.

... The TP5x has replaced the Z Star as my favorite ball. For me it performs like the Z Star in every way other than a harder feel and it is longer off the tee and perhaps just a little better in the wind.

... Interesting that you have a Volvik Vivid in your mix with a CS and TP5. My son has a high swing speed of around 115 but is still basically a beginner. I have worked with him on his short game and he is getting better but as we all know it takes years to master a short game. He is playing with spin and his favorite ball is the Kirkland Signature which responds around the green with predictable spin. But being 26 he just loved the look of the Volvik Vivid matt finish in white, maybe the most unique ball I have seen. 

... So his Vivid matt white balls arrived Wednesday and he was so excited to put them in play yesterday. They were inconsistent off the tee and with his irons but they are designed for swing speeds of 70-90 so that was not a surprise. He was disappointed in the green side spin where several good looking pitches just ran an extra 10 yds or more. LOL, it isn't like I warned him the Vivid would not react like a urethane covered tour ball. He shot a 47 on the front and after a chip ran off the green on 9, he changed back to his Kirklands on the back and shot 41, his lowest round for 9 holes. On the closing par 5 he hit a 175 yd 7 iron that hit the back of the green, hopped once and spun back about 6 feet setting him up for an eagle. The Vivid would have bounced over the green, but of course it is not designed for a 175 yard approach with spin stopping power. But it sure is a very cool looking golf ball! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Well. As some of you might have read. I had the most expensive golf outing of my life. I could have played Pebble for the Retail price of all the things I lost/broke.

Anyways, the few holes I did get to compare.

2017 Pro V1 is a Balloon Ball

That TP5x... wow

Wilson Range ball, was on average 5-10 yards shorter on all iron shots. Obviously didn't get much Driver time in. But I will say the TP5x holds its line in the wind and it is the most shapable ball I've played to date.

The 17' V1 spins up too much on the irons to get a good feel for it, doesn't fit my game at all. I backed up a 7 iron on the fairway about a yard...

... The TP5x has replaced the Z Star as my favorite ball. For me it performs like the Z Star in every way other than a harder feel and it is longer off the tee and perhaps just a little better in the wind.

... Interesting that you have a Volvik Vivid in your mix with a CS and TP5. My son has a high swing speed of around 115 but is still basically a beginner. I have worked with him on his short game and he is getting better but as we all know it takes years to master a short game. He is playing with spin and his favorite ball is the Kirkland Signature which responds around the green with predictable spin. But being 26 he just loved the look of the Volvik Vivid matt finish in white, maybe the most unique ball I have seen.

... So his Vivid matt white balls arrived Wednesday and he was so excited to put them in play yesterday. They were inconsistent off the tee and with his irons but they are designed for swing speeds of 70-90 so that was not a surprise. He was disappointed in the green side spin where several good looking pitches just ran an extra 10 yds or more. LOL, it isn't like I warned him the Vivid would not react like a urethane covered tour ball. He shot a 47 on the front and after a chip ran off the green on 9, he changed back to his Kirklands on the back and shot 41, his lowest round for 9 holes. On the closing par 5 he hit a 175 yd 7 iron that hit the back of the green, hopped once and spun back about 6 feet setting him up for an eagle. The Vivid would have bounced over the green, but of course it is not designed for a 175 yard approach with spin stopping power. But it sure is a very cool looking golf ball!

Sounds like your son is coming along pretty good. That's great for the future when you can play with him.

The vivid is a strange ball. Not bad off the tee for me but horrible around the green. What is good for me is the matte finish. Being a senior with fading vision (as I was told at the eye Doc yesterday) I can hit the vivid pretty well due to the finish.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I haven't tried the new line of Pro V1s but I played the Vice Pro Plus love it but too firm around the greens working the Chrome Soft these days

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Sounds like your son is coming along pretty good. That's great for the future when you can play with him.

The vivid is a strange ball. Not bad off the tee for me but horrible around the green. What is good for me is the matte finish. Being a senior with fading vision (as I was told at the eye Doc yesterday) I can hit the vivid pretty well due to the finish.

... Thanks, he is a tremendous athlete and was a First Team All Conference DE in college that was offered a contract with the Colts. But golf is a different kind of game and while he will hit a 320 yd drive in the middle of the fairway on one hole he will hit it thin and 100 on the next. One hop and stop a pitch and hit the next pitch fat or thin. Still shooting in the mid to upper 90's but hitting some really good shots every round, so the potential is there. Had 2 birdies on both back 9 par 5's yesterday and still shot a 103 LOL. Thankfully the game has it's hooks in him and he is not discouraged by his over all bad play but is concentrating on his good shots and just trying to string more of them together. 

... I hear ya on the Volvik matt white finish balls and imagine the brighter colored balls are even more ... well ... vivid. Even in the rough they were very easy to spot. Good luck with yours! 

Agree, play what you love, honestly I am just tired of companies like acushnet having such strong hold on the the industry (to the point of threatening small companies). More choices are always good for all golfers...

Picked up a sleeve of TP5x today. Gonna put them head to head against the Vice Pro+ when I get them in! We'll see which one makes it in my bag permanently. Right now, the Vice Pro is slowly cementing itself in there. I want to see what a firmer ball does for me. Right now the only thing I have to compare is the RZN Blacks and I will say that I prefer them off the tee, but their supply is dwindling so I'm hoping to find a replacement sooner rather than later.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Picked up a sleeve of TP5x today. Gonna put them head to head against the Vice Pro+ when I get them in! We'll see which one makes it in my bag permanently. Right now, the Vice Pro is slowly cementing itself in there. I want to see what a firmer ball does for me. Right now the only thing I have to compare is the RZN Blacks and I will say that I prefer them off the tee, but their supply is dwindling so I'm hoping to find a replacement sooner rather than later.

This season I started off playing with the Vice Pro Plus and once I got fitted for irons I was hitting a lot of fairways and greens. I recently switched to the Callaway Soft due to the feel around the greens and i just realized that my fairways hit and greens have gone down. Truthfully if I wasn't on this forum and reading I would have never realized it. I am going to switch back asap just have to learn to putt and chip with that firmer ball. Looked at myself in the mirror slapped myself told myself don't switch again!!!! Lol

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

See the last two rounds I have been playing with the Chrome Soft all other previous rounds were with Vice Pro Plus

IMG_1680.PNG

IMG_1681.PNG

Bryson DeChambeau

See the last two rounds I have been playing with the Chrome Soft all other previous rounds were with Vice Pro Plus

attachicon.gifIMG_1680.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_1681.PNG

Wow, nice stats & charts. My neighbor and golf buddy would love to talk to u! He is big into stats.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Wow, nice stats & charts. My neighbor and golf buddy would love to talk to u! He is big into stats.

Thanks truthfully it's The Grint app. It breaks down everything for Pro members well worth 20 bucks I think.

Bryson DeChambeau

I am very pleased with the Vice Pro Plus. Their pro series ball is as good as anything and feels great off the club.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Wilson FG Tour won the starting position again today. I have some Srixon Z-Star's on the way, yellow and white.

Best thing about the Wilson is my ability to control the flight, on demand, and consistently. Working on shaping some 57° wedges, for my practice I do 10 straight, 10 fades, and 10 draws.

My target is 95 yards away and I count anything inside a 10' circle a hit.

Straight: 6 for 10

Fade: 8 for 10

Draw: 3 for 10

I then get the 53° out and do the same.

Straight: 5 for 10

Fade: 6 for 10

Draw: 2 for 10

Then I get the PW out and hit super low shots.

Straight: 3 for 10

Fade: 6 for 10

Draw: 1 for 10

As you can see I am the most accurate with my fade. I am getting there with the draw, I'm sure I will have it figured out by the time winter comes.

But my favorite thing about golf is shaping the ball. At least with my irons.

Working on lowering my wedge flight altogether. And using an impact bag I have. Probably 10 feet lower trajectory in the wedges.

I hit both of my hole in ones with a Titleist Pro V1 model, different years. My wife just told me I'm an idiot for even wanted to try anything different.. my plan was to migrate to the Wilson Staff FG Tour.

What do you think?

- Alan

Never personally played the fg tour but I feel like the chromesoft from callaway is a must try. Performs just as good as a pro v and a z star and here in England it is £10 cheaper. Had my hole in ones playing a z star but I wouldn't go back to it after playing the chromesoft. Such a good ball

Never personally played the fg tour but I feel like the chromesoft from callaway is a must try. Performs just as good as a pro v and a z star and here in England it is £10 cheaper. Had my hole in ones playing a z star but I wouldn't go back to it after playing the chromesoft. Such a good ba

Probably should add it's £10 cheaper than the z star and pro v for a dozen. Around £30 for a dozen chromesoft and around £40 for z star and pro v.

Wow. I was away from this thread for a bit and all of a sudden had 5 pages to catch up on.

Some thoughts.

I have been alternating between ProVx, TP5x and Srixon Z Star, with the occasional Q Star Tour thrown in.

Best performing so far for me overall in order are.

Z Star

ProVx

TP5x

However I could easily play any of the three and be happy.

Just got some Bridgestone 330 and 330s and will try them.

@jllukes I just got the most recent golf data tech sales report.

Just from a glance Titleist still appears to have a very large gap between it and Callaway and Bridgestone.

I'll have to look at it and the report from same time last year to see if the gap has lessened.

I want to say I don't think it has. But I could be wrong.

In our pro shop we sell just about every ball there is except for Bridgestone (that is on the former local rep) and by far and away our biggest seller is ProV1 followed by the Chaos which is bought by the guy playing in his once a year scramble or guys who run out of balls at the turn and need more.

And we are a public municipal course.

Interesting thoughts in here. The take away seems to be. There are a lot of quality balls right now.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So i looked at the reports from this year and this time last year.   

Actually Titleist's share has INCREASED not decreased, despite what some of the other companies want to spin.   

Here's a brief snapshot of the % of market share

Brand           2017          2016

Titleist            53              46

Callaway       13               14

TMAG            8                   4

Bridgestone    4                  7

Nike               --                10

So it's pretty clear that the Nike share has been absorbed by Titleist and TaylorMade, of course the new TP5 line has helped them tremendously.   Callaway actually has lost share, and Bridgestone...well I'm just not sure what's going on with them.    Perhaps that would be a good blog piece.  They seemed to have taken an entire year off from clubs (well except for the limited Tour B series) and have lost share in it's bread and butter...balls.

So i looked at the reports from this year and this time last year.

Actually Titleist's share has INCREASED not decreased, despite what some of the other companies want to spin.

Here's a brief snapshot of the % of market share

Brand 2017 2016

Titleist 53 46

Callaway 13 14

TMAG 8 4

Bridgestone 4 7

Nike -- 10

So it's pretty clear that the Nike share has been absorbed by Titleist and TaylorMade, of course the new TP5 line has helped them tremendously. Callaway actually has lost share, and Bridgestone...well I'm just not sure what's going on with them. Perhaps that would be a good blog piece. They seemed to have taken an entire year off from clubs (well except for the limited Tour B series) and have lost share in it's bread and butter...balls.

Good stats. Callay is surprising to me.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Good stats. Callay is surprising to me.

Not so much to me.  That jives with sales in our shop.      I like the Chrome Soft and all.  But it is far from our biggest seller in the pro-shop.    

Actually  there was one other ball I didn't list and it was Pinnacle which came in around 10% which would have put them in third. But I almost consider them a Titleist brand, even though they are marketed and sold completely different.   

People either want the Pro V or the cheapest model.  The mid price balls such as Chrome Soft, Wilson Duos, Bridgestones etc don't sell nearly as much as the other two ends.  

... I play a lot as a single and the amount of golfers I have been paired up with that play Titleist but have no idea what ball they are playing, out number those that do. "I am playing a Titleist 3". Sounds good but what kind of Titleist? "I don't know" is normally the answer. Even some playing a ProV1 and occasionally someone claiming a ProV1 that is actually playing a DT Solo. Not that they are lying, they really just don't know. 

Archived