Stray Away from Pro V1?

Shankster

All good stuff. The gap is definitely closing on Ball technology.

I think the tech for metal woods is really just revolving now. Not much else they can do with 460cc tungsten, movable weights, carbon fiber....

Irons... I mean what can you really do with the same stainless steel, carbon steel as the next guy to make it "stand out"

We are in a good era for golf equipment. Looking forward to the new releases this year.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Wasn't referring to technology. There is no technology gap in balls. The sales gap is closing.

Callaway is eating Titleist marketshare at grass roots shops, and callaway, TMaG and Bridgestone are really hurting Titleist at larger retailers.

• Like 2

CC5 sig.png

Wasn't referring to technology. There is no technology gap in balls. The sales gap is closing.

Callaway is eating Titleist marketshare at grass roots shops, and callaway, TMaG and Bridgestone are really hurting Titleist at larger retailers.

My mistake. You forget that I live in the middle of nowhere. [emoji846] Golf shops don't really exist and the "pro shops" at the courses here have 2 choices. Pro V1 or Pro V1x and if you're lucky they might have 2 year old Bridgestones covered in dust.

Now Grey Walls in Marquette has more choices, but the Titleist are always out of stock. PING is the most stocked equipment brand there, Titleist is a close second.

- Alan

• Like 2

Not only does Titleist pay a ton of guys to use their balls, but they also give their balls away to other players http://www.titleist.com/company/sponsorship-donations

And yes, Titleist has been the #1 ball (sales and tour usage) in golf for a long time, so of course other brands are going to use Titleist as the baseline when trying to convince consumers to buy their ball instead

I think you may be lacking context here. All OEMs pay pros to play their product and they all give away tons of product. This is true not just of golf but of virtually all sports industries where pros drive consumer choice. Bridgestone or Callaway would gladly give away just as much product and sign just as many pros as Titleist if they could.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

And I'm not dismissing the prov1. It's a fantastic ball. But to say that performance is the main reason it's the #1 ball in golf is simply not true.

Kudos to the Titleist marketing group for getting them to that reputation, but as we've are seeing, times already changing and Titleist is losing ball marketshare to callaway, TMaG and Bridgestone.

... So very true. I prefer other balls, but it is simply a personal preference. If I could get free balls for the rest of my life I would choose TP5x and then Z Stars. Prov1x would come in 3rd. But the truth is I could play any of them and have very little, if any, difference in performance. The guys on Tour would not be playing Z Stars and TP5's if they had better performance with a ProV1(x). Just look at a Ryder cup alternate shot event and see how they put players together because of their ball choice. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My mistake. You forget that I live in the middle of nowhere. [emoji846] Golf shops don't really exist and the "pro shops" at the courses here have 2 choices. Pro V1 or Pro V1x and if you're lucky they might have 2 year old Bridgestones covered in dust.

Now Grey Walls in Marquette has more choices, but the Titleist are always out of stock. PING is the most stocked equipment brand there, Titleist is a close second.

- Alan

It's crazy to see a lot of pro shops around me switching over to Callaway from Titleist 

• Like 2

CC5 sig.png

I know they get paid, but that's around 3/4 of the field.

Since I first started playing it has been "Titleist", everyone played Titleist at the course I grew up at, and it was by no means a rich mans course. It was always a good day to find one out on the course.

I'm not saying other brands are bad by any means. But when you send out your brand with a sleeve of Titleist.. you are already saying that Pro V1's are the standard by saying try these against ours.

I really like Bridgestone's, but after yesterday's round with a ProV1x I'm back at them.

- Alan

Listening to the wife finally I see

• Like 1

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

It's crazy to see a lot of pro shops around me switching over to Callaway from Titleist

Callaway is paying serious dollars for that

• Like 1

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

How is the new Pro V1 I really need a ball that acts like a Vice Pro Plus but like a Chrome soft around the greens

• Like 1

Bryson DeChambeau

Callaway is paying serious dollars for that

Actually pro shops pay OEMs to carry the equipment.  Callaway is probably charging less and offering better perks to the local pro to get in the door.  Really smart on their part.

• Like 3

CC5 sig.png

Actually pro shops pay OEMs to carry the equipment. Callaway is probably charging less and offering better perks to the local pro to get in the door. Really smart on their part.

I agree that could be true for the pro shops. I know that Callaway pays to get certain spots at Dicks Sporting Goods and they train the employees on the products also.

Bryson DeChambeau

They are all good. Everyone knows the big brands. Titleist had been marketing the ball for as long as I can remember. Didn't really have much competition 20+ years ago.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But as far as balls back in the late 80's early 90's it was pretty much all Titleist...?

When did Patrick Reed switch to Bridgestone?

Pretty sure he switched after he saw the commercial with tiger in it.... Ha ha ha😂😂😂

MDGolfHacker

• Like 4

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

Pretty sure he switched after he saw the commercial with tiger in it.... Ha ha ha[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

MDGolfHacker

Haha!! Yes! I was waiting for someone to say that.

- Alan

• Like 2

Last month.

Weird he isn't playing Chrome Soft

• Like 1

Bryson DeChambeau