Shankster

Stray Away from Pro V1?

Our Sponsors

I hit both of my hole in ones with a Titleist Pro V1 model, different years. My wife just told me I'm an idiot for even wanted to try anything different.. my plan was to migrate to the Wilson Staff FG Tour.

What do you think?

- Alan

The new FG Tour ball from this year is great. I was stopping 6 irons within a foot. And I've actually been able to spin these around the green. The previous generation was long and straight, but I couldn't get it to sit or check with wedge. You won't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

The new FG Tour ball from this year is great. I was stopping 6 irons within a foot. And I've actually been able to spin these around the green. The previous generation was long and straight, but I couldn't get it to sit or check with wedge. You won't be disappointed!

I've played them. Loved them... A LOT. But I still think the V1 performs the best for me.

- Alan

• Like 2

Nice thing about playing the Snells is that they really haven't caught on around my area. So I don't have to worry about marking my ball or wondering about whether the Snell I found in the rough is the one I hit. Plus they are really good...

One of the things I like about playing the Srixon Z-Star--I don't have to put dots and marks all over it to differentiate it from the million Titleists that are around the golf course.

I have recently tried the new Q-Star Tour, as it is geared towards moderate swing speed like I have. After a couple of rounds, I have found that I like it fine except off the driver; it feels heavier, and I'm certain that I don't get the kind of consistent distance that I do with the Z-Star. I'd have loved to have found a ball that was $10 cheaper per box, but chicks dig the long ball. Thus, the Z-Star shall remain in the bag...

• Like 1

I have always gone by the strategy of playing the ball that you know what it will do. If you are able to

Predict what it will do, then that will help with long term consistency

Mentally I know that what golf ball I choose probably has little to no effect on my game being a higher handicap golfer. Not to mention I also couldn't justify the price of the premium gold balls. However I still felt I was missing out somehow by playing "lesser balls".

I was pleasantly surprised about how the shape of the AAAA and AAAAA balls on all these used golf ball websites available now. Now I get premium balls (V1x) in really good shape for $15 a dozen.

Curious to know how many people buy new vs first or second quality used.

Mentally I know that what golf ball I choose probably has little to no effect on my game being a higher handicap golfer. Not to mention I also couldn't justify the price of the premium gold balls. However I still felt I was missing out somehow by playing "lesser balls".

I was pleasantly surprised about how the shape of the AAAA and AAAAA balls on all these used golf ball websites available now. Now I get premium balls (V1x) in really good shape for $15 a dozen.

Curious to know how many people buy new vs first or second quality used.

I buy AAAAA.  With maybe a couple stragglers per box, usually you can't tell them from new.  AAAA usually have a scuff.

• Like 1

The AAAA I have got recently (only been through 2 buckets), maybe 10-15% have scuffs, but otherwise they seem pretty new, just have sharpie markings on them from time to time. Maybe I have had just had good luck for my first two buckets

I found a Pro V 392 today on the course... played the entire back 9 with it. Why did they stop making they ball? Where can I get a few hundred? What compares that is currently being produced? I used to play them, forgot how dang good they were!! Got 10 yards over the 2016 Pro V1 today, and a better trajectory throughout the bag!!

• Like 1

Maybe I'm odd but I always pick a ball based on how well it performs in flight. All urethane balls react the same for me on the green 180 yards and in so I'm more concerned with better card and straighter flight.

Realistically almost all of them play the same. ProV is the shortest off the tee tho for me. MT5 and TP5 are the longest, Srixons for some reason are the only ball the spin noticeably more on the green

• Like 2

Someone PLEASE give Bubba his V1 back!!

• Like 3

Someone PLEASE give Bubba his V1 back!!

I don't think Volvik's are for Bubba.

• Like 2

I don't think Volvik's are for Bubba.

Me neither. He looks nervous. Not sure why he would change. He could hit boomerangs with the Titleist!

- Alan

• Like 1

I've been playing a lot of split rounds this year, ball X front and ball Y back as well as full rounds on many brands

Most consistent predictable balls:

Strok Prelux (this ball is the master of spin btw)

Wilson Duo U & FG Tour

Srixon Z Star & XV

and I played 9 with a ProV I'd found and very consistent too

Of note after playing all the balls above + a few others, I also played 9 with a ProV1X and boy is that thing firm lol

• Like 3

I've been playing a lot of split rounds this year, ball X front and ball Y back as well as full rounds on many brands

Most consistent predictable balls:

Strok Prelux (this ball is the master of spin btw)

Wilson Duo U & FG Tour

Srixon Z Star & XV

and I played 9 with a ProV I'd found and very consistent too

Of note after playing all the balls above + a few others, I also played 9 with a ProV1X and boy is that thing firm lol

I wish the FG Tour was a touch on the firmer side and I'd be a major fan of that ball. Just a bit to marshmallowy on the irons and putter. Finesse shots with the wedges are a dream with them though.

- Alan

I'm a big fan of ChromeSoft balls and the Snell MTB, which is more like an older ProV1 IMO.

• Like 1

I wish the FG Tour was a touch on the firmer side and I'd be a major fan of that ball. Just a bit to marshmallowy on the irons and putter. Finesse shots with the wedges are a dream with them though.

- Alan

Always found them to be so soft. But I have never been better with the wedges. Love them!

• Like 1

Curios for those who play multiple makes: Do you keep only the same brand in the bag at once, or mixed bag?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I used to only have the Pro V in the bag. Now there is a mix of Pro V's, B330S, Wilson FG Tour, and V1x. Going to get some of these "magical" TP5's to try out later this afternoon.

But I usually play the V1 as my "for score" ball, and hit the other ones to try and force my out of the V1 habit. So far I keep coming back.

- Alan

• Like 2

I used to only have the Pro V in the bag. Now there is a mix of Pro V's, B330S, Wilson FG Tour, and V1x. Going to get some of these "magical" TP5's to try out later this afternoon.

But I usually play the V1 as my "for score" ball, and hit the other ones to try and force my out of the V1 habit. So far I keep coming back.

- Alan

I've got a mixed bag as well (ProV, chromesoft, and Z-Star mostly). Been on the fence about the TP5s but reading all the good stuff lately when I get home this weekend I may have to grab a sleeve

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2