TESTERS WANTED! ×

Real Golf vs Simulator

Shankster

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know... I saw that too somewhere. I think a sim might be a fun diversion but I'll take the real deal any day. Think about it. Why do they call them a simulator? 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Virtual golf may be fun, as it allows you to play several courses you'll probably never get to play, but nothing beats the real deal.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Real thing for me as well.  In places where the weather doesn't allow it might be nice for off season golf.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Like all things, video technology will continue to improve thus making sim golf more and more precise. Golf on a course will never go away completely, but it has leveled off and will continue to shrink for a few more years.

Country clubs will always be around because there will always be people who can afford them. Simulators are great for cold or bad weather days. It is also pretty cheap if you have a foursome on an hourly basis. It will probably continue to grow because it will get more cost effective and realistic over time. It won't ever replace the actual on-course experience, but you can wear jeans or a t-shirt on a country club course.

Cheers

- Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Is this a serious question, Alan?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

BTW, I really enjoy the majority of your content but as you are such a prolific poster, would you kindly consider utilizing a different profile name, for everyone's sake? I understand it's your legal name and appreciate the contextual cunning, but seeing "that" word hundreds of times a day is seriously starting to wear on me.

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

There's no substitute for being out on the course, smelling the fresh cut grass, hanging with great buddies and new friends

listening to nature and actually seeing how far you pull hook a drive ;)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

BTW, I really enjoy the majority of your content but as you are such a prolific poster, would you kindly consider utilizing a different profile name, for everyone's sake? I understand it's your legal name and appreciate the contextual cunning, but seeing "that" word hundreds of times a day is seriously starting to wear on me.

Nah. It's my last name. Deal with it. Haven't changed it for anyone, don't plan to. Don't mean to be a jerk, but it's here to stay. Now if the Admin asks I might consider it.

I'll just leave if that's the way everyone feels.

I've left courses and other forums for this very reason, the Pro told me I couldn't play in a tournament unless I used an alias. Frankly, it's a word that happens to be my last name, and also happens to be a STD and a Bad Bad Golf shot. I'll limited my posting from now on.

- Alan

Well at least your genteel about it. Christ man, I just asked nicely if you would consider it. Threatening to take your ball and go home certainly isn't necessary.

I complimented your content and made a polite request. You may reply in any way you see fit. However, posing hypothetical questions and then presupposing my answers is NOT COOL.

I just read an article that a certain company thinks virtual golf will be more prevalent than real golf. Anyone prefer to play in a sim over out with the fresh cut grass and the birds chirping?

- Alan

I've never played on one of them simulator thingy bobs. Not sure if I would know one if I saw it. Living in a climate where golf is played year round may have something to do with them being rare down here.

About your forum name, no way in hell would I change it. It's your name so be proud of it. 🏌️⛳️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

How would you like it if someone said you had to change your name to play a round? Pretty sh!tty yeah?

Thanks for the compliment. It's not hypothetical. It happens to me a lot. I get defensive, no one asks Anyone else to change their name.

The hypothetical question: "How would you like it if someone said you had to change your name to play a round?"

I'm not going to repeat your language but you subsequently presupposed my answer. I'm not okay with people putting vulgar words in my mouth, period.

I've made zero demands.

You're clearly carrying some excess baggage on the subject if you think anything I have personally written is deserving of your bristling retorts.

Boys - I don't like doing this but for goodness sakes, let's be nice. it's an open forum and our one rule is to be nice - that includes takes on whatever someone uses as a screen name. As long as it, or the picture, is not profane, it is what it is.  

Let's be respectful and thick-skinned grownups.

And for goodness sakes, let's have fun out there!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm done, full stop.

I just read an article that a certain company thinks virtual golf will be more prevalent than real golf. Anyone prefer to play in a sim over out with the fresh cut grass and the birds chirping?

- Alan

Hmmmm..... Would a certain company be in the sim biz one way or another? The local sim center had its best year, it being its third now. Clubs, balls, and the rest were moving off the shelf.

I dont care for sim myself.

Oddly enough this was a point of conversation just Thursday.

The best rug money can buy at the sim center is the best fat shot you ever hit, time after time. To this end went out with 2 good guys who play the indoor winter league. And Im talking 30 rounds give or take through the winter with time spent outside of league. 70's at that big name course on the sim is good fun and should be good practice, but on the course with a 7+ in your face or otherwise it was worse than usual for both of them, even for it being the beginning of the season.

The expectations of results from a winter at the sim was all the talk during the 40min drive there; and the let down for that not being the case after about 6 was palpable. I was asked on the way there, again, why I dont hit the sim more than 3-4 times a winter with them, to which I replied, again, "its not for me". After 9 one of them looked at me and said, 'the sims not for you huh' as they paid for hotdogs and the rest. All one can do is smile, so I did. 

This winter I do plan to spend some time there if I can bring my set up for my phone/vid with me. Otherwise I will go to the indoor dome that is available to beat balls in the winter, and film it per usual.

For me it would never replace the real thing given a choice. It's a nice fun way to spend a cold winters day.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thanks for the compliment. It's not hypothetical. It happens to me a lot. I get defensive, no one asks Anyone else to change their name.

Exactly. Post on Shankster!

Yeah... Your name has part of the "S word" for golf in it.

QUICK  :o  Hide the women and children.!!!

Could be worse. YOUR name could be Red Ass, or something like that.

First time I saw I thought, "Hmm. Ok. Get over it".

And that was the end of that and the Shankster lives.

Mr. downlowkey, I forgive you.

My grandmother always told me you get more with milk and sugar than you do with pi$$ and vinegar. I get defensive about my last name, my kids get made fun of at school sometimes about it, so I tend to jump the gun. But my name is here to stay. Now back to what matters, the Non-Sh*^ked golf.

I believe it's the world we live in. Everything revolves around technology, numbers and instant gratification. I know I hit fat shots 90% of the time on the sim, it still says I nailed it. It's as Virtual Reality as one can get as far as "video games" go.

Personally I'd rather go hit fat shots on the course, with out launch monitors, video, swing analyses, swing this, that and everything else. My idea of the greats, Arnie, Jack, Ben, and the rest of the Gents that paved the way didn't have access to it, and they were awesome. Sometimes technology gets smack dab in the way.

But I'll take sim golf over no golf during the winter.

- Alan

Real golf > Sim golf > No golf

As [ressure over the environmental impact of running golf courses and using water on them makes golf more expensive, we could find that sim grows in popularity if only due to cost.  It may also attract younger golfers who are more flexible about what "golf" is to them. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

- Alan

Over the weekend on one of the golf broadcasts, I heard a commentator suggesting that venues such as Top Golf are changing the nature of or expanding the game beyond the course.   I genuinely disagree, real golf is played on a real golf course.  

Archived