Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What factors are used to determine a good putter

Kor.A.Door

Not the club. The person using the club. how does someone determine if they are or are not a good putter? What factors are used? I always consider myself to be a bad putter, but when I go back over some of my rounds, I realize that didn't putt poorly, the ball just didn't go in the hole.

So why do you consider yourself or someone you know to be a good putter or a bad putter?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Not the club. The person using the club. how does someone determine if they are or are not a good putter? What factors are used? I always consider myself to be a bad putter, but when I go back over some of my rounds, I realize that didn't putt poorly, the ball just didn't go in the hole.

So why do you consider yourself or someone you know to be a good putter or a bad putter?

Damn.... are we brothers? I can relate to this exactly!

same here. I don't keep track of my putts, maybe I'll start before I kick myself some more, I have always though I was just a bad putter. I rush my routine a lot, probably has something to do with it. I do know I've been putting in a lot more practice with 10' and in Putts. Haven't had a chance to put it to use yet.

The best putters I have played with know the course so well the could mold the greens out of clay with every subtle break. Get them on a foreign course and they aren't so good.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That is an interesting question.  We always hear about stats to measure putting and in my mind the best ones are based on distances like percent made per distance or total distance made for the round.  I would also say that someone that averages 2 or less putts per GIR would be a good putters.   However, there are a lot of variables that can mask bad putting such as iron play or solid chipping pitching that gives you lots of one putt opportunities.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you can reduce your misses and the nasty 3 - putt then you are a good putter IMO. I'm becoming a better manager of my putting game. I know when I should go for the cup and when to shoot for that three foot circle around the hole..

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

As said above - if you hit no GIR but chip close, then 1-putt for par, you can look like a good putter.

Stats aside, gotta fit your stroke - length, offset, weight, toe flow... not what your favorite pro plays, but what you play best with.

Even if it's a tap in, mark your ball and take time to look it over.

Always miss high and long - the ball won't accidentally roll up hill, and will definitely not go in if it doesn't get there.

I played for years at a high level as what I would consider poor on the greens. I didn't measure stats but it was the one part of my game that I felt most uncomfortable about. I started to practice a lot more with the flatstick and after a few years it became a strength in my game. I don't three putt very often and make more in the 6-10 foot range which helps the scorecard a bit.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

so what factors do you consider when deciding whether you are good or not. Is it just the overall feeling, or is there something about the stroke that makes you think that, I always here people say I'm. O good or I am really good, is it perception? I have days where I feel I am good and others where I feel I am bad.

When I'm on with any club it feels like an extension of my arm. When I'm off it feels like a foreign object. I've never been really "on" with the putter. But practicing here in the house, I am working on a pre shot routine, lining up and hitting the ball just enough to get a few revolutions on line with ball one, having my son move it and taking a full putt Stroke right after. Seems to help, if only I could do that on the course.

There are a lot of variables, grass grain, direction of cut, humidity, wind, sand, ball marks, spike marks, etc.

so what factors do you consider when deciding whether you are good or not. Is it just the overall feeling, or is there something about the stroke that makes you think that, I always here people say I'm. O good or I am really good, is it perception? I have days where I feel I am good and others where I feel I am bad.

For me it is confidence on the greens. I feel like I have a shot to make any putt I stand over and rarely hit a defensive putt. If you are confident you can take a run at more than someone trying to get it inside a 3 foot circle from 20 feet. It is just mindset; if I walk onto the green thinking 2 putt that more than likely will be the outcome.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

It can be subjective like everything else in golf. I myself are what is called a feel and instinct putter. Rover Rick on here and I have discussed it before and we are of the same theory. In my hey days I ran at every putt really aggressive. One reason I ran at it so hard was because I did not fear the 3 to 5 foot comeback putt. I had so much confidence I felt that I was subject to make every putt I stood over whether it was 4 ft or 40 feet did not matter. Some of that has changed with age but I have gotten back to my old style lately. I also get super aggressive on my short wedge shots and chips especially bump and run shots. I would say generally that what I consider a good putter is one that makes a lot of putts in the 15 ft and in range and on the longer putts scares the hole quite frequently and does not 3 putt often. It all boils down to method and importantly one's frame of mind In all my years around golf I have seen some great putters with to say the least some unorthodox styles and equipment but it worked for them. On the other end of the spectrum I have seen some players with beautiful text book strokes that could not make a 5 footer in a washtub. Like I said subjective

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have two factors that I consider.  The first is can you start the ball on your intended line and the second is can you control distance.  These are really the only two things you can control with the putting stroke.  It is hard to judge based on made putts since once the ball leaves the face of the putter you have done all you can do.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Reading the green is my weakness. I find myself hitting the ball on my intended line more often than not, however I find the line I chose is wrong more often than not, lol. Seems obvious but the best putters I know have solid strokes but can also accurately read the greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

Reading greens is a function based on being able to start your ball on line and having the right speed. It is a learned skill based on hitting lots of putts and then remembering how much a putt breaks for specific slopes.

I recommend taking an aimpoint class simply to learn how to read slope. You can also look up how to identify the low spot and zero break line on some other putting specific sites.

To me it's a combonation of the thngs Big Stu and Cnsosil said.  Subjective and Distance control. 

Subjective, meaning you can choose to measure a lot of different things, number of 3 putts, putts per GIR, total distance of putts made..etc   But to me Speed/Distance control is the best way.  If you are consistently within a foot to foot in half of the hole (unless it was taken from 2 to 4 feet  :D ) then you have done a good job of judging the speed correctly.   I once had an instructor tell me, that speed is the most important part of putting, if you get it right, you will almost always have a tap in or very make able next putt.   But even if you have the line right and run it 6 feet by, you didn't hit a very good putt. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

To me it's a combonation of the thngs Big Stu and Cnsosil said.  Subjective and Distance control. 

Subjective, meaning you can choose to measure a lot of different things, number of 3 putts, putts per GIR, total distance of putts made..etc   But to me Speed/Distance control is the best way.  If you are consistently within a foot to foot in half of the hole (unless it was taken from 2 to 4 feet  :D ) then you have done a good job of judging the speed correctly.   I once had an instructor tell me, that speed is the most important part of putting, if you get it right, you will almost always have a tap in or very make able next putt.   But even if you have the line right and run it 6 feet by, you didn't hit a very good putt.

That's why I try to leave my ball in a 3 foot circle. Hell Id have a huge orgasm if I didn't have a 3 putt during my round. I seldom charge the hole from fear of going by five or six feet. I'm not consistent at making those come back putts. Speed control is key for me to have a decent round.

Cleveland

That's why I try to leave my ball in a 3 foot circle. Hell Id have a huge orgasm if I didn't have a 3 putt during my round. I seldom charge the hole from fear of going by five or six feet. I'm not consistent at making those come back putts. Speed control is key for me to have a decent round.

I just read this week in GolfWeek I think it was a drill that Phil does.

He goes out to large putting green area, puts tees in the green at 30 and 40 feet, then puts a water bottle at 50 feet (to see it better).

He takes three puts from 40 feet and has to get them all within 3 feet, then moves on to 30 feet then 50 feet.    He mixes up the distances so he doesn't get in a groove of how hard to hit them.    Sounds pretty effective and also pretty hard...LOL

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I just read this week in GolfWeek I think it was a drill that Phil does.

He goes out to large putting green area, puts tees in the green at 30 and 40 feet, then puts a water bottle at 50 feet (to see it better).

He takes three puts from 40 feet and has to get them all within 3 feet, then moves on to 30 feet then 50 feet.    He mixes up the distances so he doesn't get in a groove of how hard to hit them.    Sounds pretty effective and also pretty hard...LOL

I like that drill and if you can become consistent at it you should lower your scores. Good tip buddy!

Cleveland

That instructor was correct if you have it on line and you run it by that far then your speed was off. Now here is something that is controversial this day in time. Die putting in other words getting the putt to die at the hole. Now there is a time and place for that too. Anything 3 foot and in I am going to hit firm hard to the back of the hole but like everything else there is a time and place for that too. A down hill 3 foot slider I am going to try do die to the break side of the hole. Look at Crenshaw and Stockton that is exactly how they do it. Like anything else you have to adjust to the situation at hand. That is the big thing in instinct putting experience and confidence do it without thinking too hard about it. If you think it too hard then tension developes in your hands and body and that is not good

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

That instructor was correct if you have it on line and you run it by that far then your speed was off. Now here is something that is controversial this day in time. Die putting in other words getting the putt to die at the hole. Now there is a time and place for that too. Anything 3 foot and in I am going to hit firm hard to the back of the hole but like everything else there is a time and place for that too. A down hill 3 foot slider I am going to try do die to the break side of the hole. Look at Crenshaw and Stockton that is exactly how they do it. Like anything else you have to adjust to the situation at hand. That is the big thing in instinct putting experience and confidence do it without thinking too hard about it. If you think it too hard then tension developes in your hands and body and that is not good

Jack always seemed talk about getting the pace just right so the bAll just falls over the edge. I am very tentative at time when putting and that causes a lot of miss struck puttstjat always always always come up short.

I don't generally practice or worry much about putting. I'm a good putter basically. I think I read greens pretty good too I suppose. But, I don't make many birdies really. Some days none and another days 2 or maybe 3. 3 is really good for me. I'm considered a good putter too by the guys I play with so I guess I am. A few of the guys I play with occasionally (scratch to 3 hcp.) I consider really good putters for two reasons. Their approach shots are closer to the pin than I usually am on most shots and they make a lot of birdies. They are good putters and give themselves more realistic chances to make bird. Unlike some of us. Ehemm.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

A few things: A good putter is someone who doesn't miss a lot of easy putts. I mean the 5 foot dead straight putts. They also leave hard putts either close to the hole for a tap in or make one or two. At a certain distance it becomes a crapshoot whether or not a putt will actually stay on line. To me a good putting day is when you hit the ones you expect to make while putting enough long or difficult putts close. 

Strokes gained really did a good job in my mind showing how a good putting day is not about distance or putts made but rather a combination of the both.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Being able to visualize breaks on the green. And controlling speed consistently. Played with an older gentleman last summer who drew the path before he hit his putt almost exactly trying to explain how he read greens to me. Absolutely blew my mind.

For me speed comes easier, I'm very poor at reading greens so seeing breaks is more impressive to me.

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

I think that putting is about 2 things the most important is trust, next is practice.

You practice to pile up info and build database to your brain, speed, tempo, breaks, then trust your brain to do all of the rest. Obviously, it's safe to say it's easier said than done.

According to Tom Kite's mom, Ben Crenshaw was a much better putter when he was younger. Young Ben would just walk up to the put, size it up and stroke it. Making lots of quarters from adults around the putting green.

You don't get the same putt twice so you have to rely on the visualization process and trust your muscle memory and judgement to complete the task. If only I can bottle this process I'd be a rich man. If I'd get a penny for every swing thought during a putting stroke,I'd be a billionaire.

I think that putting is about 2 things the most important is trust, next is practice.

You practice to pile up info and build database to your brain, speed, tempo, breaks, then trust your brain to do all of the rest. Obviously, it's safe to say it's easier said than done.

According to Tom Kite's mom, Ben Crenshaw was a much better putter when he was younger. Young Ben would just walk up to the put, size it up and stroke it. Making lots of quarters from adults around the putting green.

You don't get the same putt twice so you have to rely on the visualization process and trust your muscle memory and judgement to complete the task. If only I can bottle this process I'd be a rich man. If I'd get a penny for every swing thought during a putting stroke,I'd be a billionaire.

Correct--- That is "instinct putting" in a nutshell

G

A steady head ... both in movement and between the ears. It comes down to confidence. The more you make, the more confident you get. Simplicity... The more simple and straightforward the stroke, less movement the better. You also have to have an ability to read greens. You can have the best putting stroke in the world but it does you no good if you don't read the green properly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I can read the greens pretty well. I play on Bermuda so you have to account for grain, sometimes it doesn't take the grain like you expect. You may have a putt that breaks 1' but because he grain is going opposite the break it may only break 6". Bermuda is tough. My biggest issue is that I don't always make consistently good strikes on the ball with the putter. If I make good contact with the putt I am generally in the area of what I was looking to do. I have to many mishit putts. Whether it's on the toe a bit or on the heel a bit. I did get a tip that I hadn't really heard or maybe I just didn't pay attention to. This is with a standard grip, keep the back of the right hand (lefty) moving to the target, this keeps from turning the putter with your hands, and keeps the putter face square through the stroke. I did this toward the end f the round last week and it worked pretty well. it is probably the best tip I've had for putting.

Archived