Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bolle' Flash Sunglasses: REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

New Shades: Bolle' Flash V3 Golf

Bolle Flash - 7.jpg

When this new pair of Bolle sunglasses arrived a couple of weeks ago, it came with the revelation that I have been wearing Bolle' sunglasses almost exclusively for the past three years. Once I realized this, I immediately doubted it, but more and more I came to the conclusion that I'm nearly always wearing Bolle shades.

Casual sunglasses? That's the Bolle' TP9 King

Cycling? Bolle' 6th Sense

Golf? Bolle' Bolt

The last one was the piece of data that convinced me. The bright neon yellow Bolle' Volt sunglasses have never left my golf bag in the past two years. Whenever I play, I swap out the glasses I am wearing for the Bolle' Volt. The fit, coverage and weight are still (obviously) ideal for play, and the lens is great. Here's the scoop, quoting myself from a previous Bolle review

Photo V3 Golf Lens

BolleLEns.png

This lens does a great job on the course. It's dark enough to provide some eye protection but not so dark that you loose green contour or other vital targeting information. Unlike some of the other sunglasses that I have worn, I did not feel the need to take these off to get the correct look of the contours on the green.

The V3 lens is a great golf lens. It's dark enough to take out the sun's glare, but no so dark that you lose the details on the course. The photo-adapting Modulator system works as expected, adapting shade level to light level. It's seamless. The only time I notice the change is if I've had the glasses sitting on my hat brim, then I put them over my eyes. They will be a bit too dark for a moment until they adjust to the new light level.

So Will the Flash Usurp The Volt?

Bolle Flash - 8.jpg

Since I can only wear one pair of sunglasses at a time, that's what my take on the Flash frame really comes down to; are they better than the current Volt pair?

On the plus side, the Flash comes with the same excellent V3 lens, and a similar frame architecture. I find that I really prefer not to have the frame extend to the bottom of the lens. Sunglasses with the bottom frame edge just seem more obtrusive when I'm addressing the ball. The bottom edge of the bare lens is less noticeable.

The fit of the Flash is on par with the Volt. I have a larger than thought possible head and these stay in place. I also had my normal head size teenager wear these around for a while and he also found them comfortable and secure. They definitely can bend and flex to fit a variety of heads.

All in all, the Flash came really close to kicking the Volt out of the bag, but there was one little structural difference that I couldn't get around.

Bolle Flash - 4.jpg

The one aspect of the Flash frame that I don't like is the fact that the frame material extends down the side of the nose. For my face shape, it was still visible in the peripheral vision, and distracting. Perhaps not at first, but once I noticed it, I could never not notice it. This has never been an issue with the Volt, as that part of the frame stops higher on the nose. YMMV, but for me it was the deal breaker.

One of the best things about the Flash, and other Bolle' sunglasses in general is that they are not super expensive. These are right around $150. Also, you can find Bolle sunglasses all over the place. Here is a link to these at SEARS and another here for AMAZON. If nothing else, with wide distribution, you should be able to get in someplace and try them on for yourself.

You may find that these are in your bag two years later as well.

If you would like to read more about Bolle, here is a LINK to my first review, and here is a LINK to the second. Here are a couple more shots of the Flash for your viewing pleasure :)

Bolle Flash - 1.jpg

Bolle Flash - 2.jpg

Bolle Flash - 3.jpg

Bolle Flash - 5.jpg

Bolle Flash - 6.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Thanks for the review! I'm considering a new pair of sunglasses so this review was timely :)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

you look pale bud, you need to get out in the sun more

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

• SPY VIP

you look pale bud, you need to get out in the sun more

I know... :D

I actually realized that my "model" is a little scuffed and dinged. May need a new one, or I can send this one to the Cameron Custom shop for restoration. I hear they work miracles there :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• 2 months later...

Archived