TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lie angle on wedges

cnosil

Was reading a discussion in twitter about how the lie angle on wedges should be flatter than irons. While I have heard this before I wanted to get others opinions. Supposed to help the short game since there is less shaft deflection on partial shots

Anyone who has been fit for wedges have you heard this?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Never heard that before. I do have my wedges bent the same amount of my irons though.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I play bot my irons and wedges @ 2 degrees flat. I've come out there at every fitting that I've ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Think of it this way. 99% of the stuff you see from people, golf pros, so called experts is crap. Also, this is the best explanation I ever got from someone I really respect (my instructor):

At setup address position, your hands should be the same distance away from your body regardless of the club. Since that is the case, the longer the iron or wedge length, the flatter it should be to accommodate the impact position. For me this has always held true. My 3 iron is 2 degrees flat but my LW is "standard".

Just a thought for you to consider.

Cheers

-Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Get fit for your wedges as you would your irons - simple. What makes wedge fitting more critical though is loft - the lie is much more prone to affect ball flight and direction the higher loft gets, so wedge fitting is a must. The sole will interact with the ground more than any other club, so fitting is critical. The wedge will tend to be opened and closed in play more than any other club so fitting is critical. Lastly, wedges will tend to have a different shaft than your irons, be a different brand, be different in length progression, be heavier in weight and will have a completely different CoG. So guess what? Stop listening to anecdotal evidence on what you should be doing. Get fitted for wedges.

I had not heard that, but now it makes me wonder.  When I do miss with my wedges, it's usually left (right handed) I wonder if them not being flat plays into that.  All my irons are extra length and upright, but my wedges are stock length and lie.   I just bought 3 of them last year.  I almost hate to go have a wedge fitting now, and find out they should be longer, flatter would be ok, as that can be done easily.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I had not heard that, but now it makes me wonder. When I do miss with my wedges, it's usually left (right handed) I wonder if them not being flat plays into that. All my irons are extra length and upright, but my wedges are stock length and lie. I just bought 3 of them last year. I almost hate to go have a wedge fitting now, and find out they should be longer, flatter would be ok, as that can be done easily.

I thought you had those fitted? I'd get them fitted for your height.!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I play them the same, my tendency when I hit patial wedges is to push them, it's like that for every club where a partial shot is used, but particularly for wedges, so I just aim a little right knowing that it will fade to the left.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I thought you had those fitted? I'd get them fitted for your height.!

MDGolfHacker

Nope not the wedges. Ordered them stock. I've never been fit for wedges. After reading a few different threads here the past two days. That was just dumb.

I may be going to Carlsbad this summer. If so I'll make an appoitment to do so. As a result there may be a deal on 3 SM6's in the classifieds. Ha

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So funny how we can all differ. I hate to lose my irons left, but hate losing my wedges right. My wedges are the same as irons on lie angle but I've bumped them more upright in the past.

I just hate that toe digging in.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

@BryanGolf

Cobra F7+ w/Project X HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5

Cobra F7 3 Wood w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
TaylorMade M2 5 Wood w/Graphite Design DI 8X
TaylorMade UDI 3 Iron w/Project X HZRDUS Black 105g 6.5
TaylorMade P770 4 Iron, P750 5-PW w/True Temper DGTI X100
TaylorMade Milled Grind SB 54w/DGTI S400
​Titleist Vokey SM6 60* M Grind w/DGTI S400
TaylorMade Spider Tour Blue

I can shed some light on this as I used to be a Mobile fitter for Titleist in the 90's before launch monitors. The concept of flatter wedges was that for better players you never want to miss a green left as it would generally fly further and roll out. A high cut however will generally land softer and can be easier to control. With a flatter lie a better player could repeat a fade easier.

Many of Titleists tour players would do this to their wedges and through fitters and word of mouth it spread as the "right" thing to do. The correct way to do it of course is to be fit for your swing. A good wedge fitting should incorporate shots off of grass and a lie board. You should take full and half swings and judge the results you find from lie board as well as your divot length and depth to determine what wedge shape, grind, and lofts you should play.

It's much easier to find a fit now with the huge amount of options you can find with wedges.

I have been told this by multiple fitters. I have also had some not say a word and just use the same lie angle as the rest of the irons.

Explanation I was given had to do with the shots going left as well.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

• 4 years later...

I just ordered (FEB 2022) a 60-08 M grind vokey for hard-pan lies

I will ask the fitter to bend it 1 degree flat and see how it goes and may get him to double check the 58-10 S grind I have

FYI:

KBS shafts are an issue to get in (April 2022)

:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 12° - EVENFLOW RIPTIDE- GOLF PRIDE ZGrip ALIGN -MidSize

:callaway-small: Mavrik 15° -  EVENFLOW RIPTIDE - GOLF PRIDE ZGrip ALIGN -MidSize

:callaway-small: Mavrik MAX 18° -  EVENFLOW RIPTIDE - GOLF PRIDE ZGrip ALIGN -MidSize

:titelist-small: TS3 HYBRID 19° - Tensei AV Blue - GOLF PRIDE ZGrip 360 -MidSize

:titelist-small: T200 4-P - TRUE TEMPER AMT BLACK S300 GOLF PRIDE ZGrip ALIGN -MidSize

:vokey-small: SM8 48.10F, 56.10S, 58.10S, 60.08M - KBS HI-REV 2.0 - GOLF PRIDE ZGrip ALIGN -MidSize

:bettinardi-small:  BB39 Milled Putter 34.5"  -  Super Stroke Traxion FLATSO 3.0 Putter Grip

Backup

:cameron-small: Select 2018 Newport Fastback - 34.5"  - GOLF PRIDE TOUR SNSR CONTOUR PRO - 140cc

:titelist-small: 2020 Players 4+ Stadry Standbag

Or

:titelist-small: 2021 Staff bag

deafasf.png.2557f045d6d45f463537b6fecc7c4063.png Compact C3 Golf Trolley

:titelist-small: PRO V1X ball