TESTERS WANTED! ×

Knowing Your Wedge Distances

Golfspy_CG2

This is something that has been on my mind a lot and with recent threads regarding trackman analysis and knowing distances, I did a very short testing today.  

Our course was basically empty due to forecasted rain that never came.  So I went out to one of our holes, and worked on tee shots for about 1/2 hour, then moved up to the green to practice wedges.

Today, I just picked 50 yards (used my NX7 Pro! to get the exact distance) as I thought (incorrectly it turns out) that was an in between distance for me, between my 54 and a half 50 degree.  I started with the 1/2 50 degree shots, and they were all perfectly playable but came up short, but really only one true good shot at making the putt, but all would have been easily two putted, but if you're hitting a wedge from 50 yards, chances are you're wanting to get down in two from there, not three. 

So thinking I was too tenative on those, I next took my 54 and figured this should be a full (3/4 in case of wedges) swing.  Turns out I was spot on.   A very nice grouping all within 10 feet, with one outlier that was a bit chunky and pulled left.   

For you single digit guys you might expect a better grouping than this, but as a 17 HC, I'll take these just about every time and take my chances with the putt.   They were all with the ProV1x and all had a very nice one hop and stop reaction.  With the exception of one which actually went a couple yards longer and spun back about 6 feet or so. 

So this has me realizing how important it is to know all your distances, especially with wedges.  I'll continue this with both my P, 50 and 58 degree over the next week or so. 

Man having an empty course was awesome, I could have stayed out there another two hours or so just working on short game shots, they are so fun to hit.   

So let's hear what you guys have done to dial in your wedge distances, or how well you know you distances on each wedge.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Trackman or other quality launch monitor is a good place to start.  On course testing like you did is always best though.

My preferred method is finding an empty fairway late in the evening that is flat.  Then hit 5-10 balls with a particular shot.  I'll leave my bag where I hit from and then driver over to the grouping, find the rough center and laser back to my bag.

I find that when you know the distance you're trying to hit it can alter your shots.  So I'd rather hit a specific 1/2 or 3/4 swing shot with a club and see how far it goes without knowing I want it to go 50 or 75yds.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Trackman or other quality launch monitor is a good place to start.  On course testing like you did is always best though.

My preferred method is finding an empty fairway late in the evening that is flat.  Then hit 5-10 balls with a particular shot.  I'll leave my bag where I hit from and then driver over to the grouping, find the rough center and laser back to my bag.

I find that when you know the distance you're trying to hit it can alter your shots.  So I'd rather hit a specific 1/2 or 3/4 swing shot with a club and see how far it goes without knowing I want it to go 50 or 75yds.

That makes complete sense, and ultimately I'll probably do that along with this. It's funny, I didn't really start out with this in mind.  I was actually out there to look at some work the super had done on this particular hole and took my bag with me.   it started by taking 5 tee shots with the ProV1X vs TP5 X (that's another thread topic!!) then, I went to each of the new kirby markers he installed and lasered them with my range finder, to see how accurate to the pin they were.   Then just decided to hit shots from each.   When a few of them came up short, that's when i decided to do the short game shots, so it was completely impromtu with no plan before going out.

You're right if I had a trackman, i could just to to the middle of a par 5 put it down and hit away and see every shot.   

May or may not make any sense... good luck readers.

Shanksters Wedge Wisdom or (Something)

I'm a self proclaimed Short Game Genius....(minus putting) I hate putting.

I wear my wedges out quick. Being 20 miles from the nearest golf course I get A LOT of time in the back yard. I have 75 yards to play with unless the neighbors go on vacation, then I can get a full 160-165 yard 8 iron in. (Sorry Jim). Probably hit 200 wedge shots a week. If I could play golf from 100 yards in with one club and no putter I would be great.

I used a 52°, 56°, 60° for the past 2 years. But the majority of my short game I used my 56°. I crafted 5 ways to get to the same distance with the same club. High, Low, Lob, Mid, and a runner. I practice off yards like 17, 24, 68, 7... you get the point. My back yard is full of divots. (Wife not happy)

So dropping a wedge made me not have to worry about should I hit a 3/4 56° or a Full 60°... I just practice my 5 shots with one club, using the clock drill. That you can find all over the inter web.

Now I have a 53° and 57°, and I see the 57° being the work horse as my 56° was. I might add a 61°/62°. I put some pictures up in the pics from the course thread from my first on "course" time with the 57°, it's going to be a fun summer. Now if I can learn how to putt...

So for those 5 shots I have 10 balls I practice with. First I'll throw a chair or something a few feet in front of me, and hit some high shots over it.

For the next ball I'll move behind a tree and hit my Lob.

Next ball I'll either move back to the chair, or put a ball near a tree trunk, or something that will restrict my swing, and hit the little runner.

My mid shot is standard from the fairway, I practice this the most at the 70ish range...Slightly more forward press and a 80% follow through.

The low shot I wait till it's windy, which happens a lot here, the trees are about 60' tall, and when it's windy if your above them... see ya. I think I covered them all.

Recently added bunker practice, and I actually enjoy hitting from the bunker now instead of running away from it.

I have put a lot of practice into my wedge game, and it's my favorite part of it. I think you are right on with your on course practice, I'd use a gps or phone app and pick some off yardages to practice, other than that your doing what I would if I had access to a course close. I will post up an attachment of my drills I put in a word doc tomorrow.

Long winded. Sorry - Enjoy the Wedgeness!

Edit: I also practice hitting draws and fades at the longer distances. Mostly hit a fade shape at the shorter distances.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Shankster and I have a similar wedge philosophy which is essentially, the Dave Pelz school of thought; use one club, always follow through the same way but adjust your backswing to vary distance. For me, I use my 50* wedge. Full swing is 110 yards and then I use the clock method (my club is the hand on the clock...) to reduce my distance. For instance, if I have to hit 50 yards, that's 3 o'clock. I use the 50* because I can spin the ball pretty well and again, Dave Pelz, I want the ball in the air as little as possible. From inside 20 yards, I try to use bump and run as much as possible because I just have far greater control that way. The only time I use my 56* is if I'm in a bunker or I really need to get the ball up/make it stick from a short distance.

As for practicing my distances, my CC has a really great short game area which I have been using lately but that's not at all necessary. When I was in HS on the golf team, I practiced on the football field at the middle school by my house. I would set up on the goal line with a bucket of balls and hit 5 balls to every 10 yard marker on the field. I would play games like try to hit 100 then 10 then 90 then 20, etc.  You could do this at any park with just some cones and pacing. Being a hyper motivated teenager worked for me! Now where'd all that time and motivation go...

Good luck!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

This is something that has been on my mind a lot and with recent threads regarding trackman analysis and knowing distances, I did a very short testing today.

Our course was basically empty due to forecasted rain that never came. So I went out to one of our holes, and worked on tee shots for about 1/2 hour, then moved up to the green to practice wedges.

Today, I just picked 50 yards (used my NX7 Pro! to get the exact distance) as I thought (incorrectly it turns out) that was an in between distance for me, between my 54 and a half 50 degree. I started with the 1/2 50 degree shots, and they were all perfectly playable but came up short, but really only one true good shot at making the putt, but all would have been easily two putted, but if you're hitting a wedge from 50 yards, chances are you're wanting to get down in two from there, not three.

So thinking I was too tenative on those, I next took my 54 and figured this should be a full (3/4 in case of wedges) swing. Turns out I was spot on. A very nice grouping all within 10 feet, with one outlier that was a bit chunky and pulled left.

For you single digit guys you might expect a better grouping than this, but as a 17 HC, I'll take these just about every time and take my chances with the putt. They were all with the ProV1x and all had a very nice one hop and stop reaction. With the exception of one which actually went a couple yards longer and spun back about 6 feet or so.

So this has me realizing how important it is to know all your distances, especially with wedges. I'll continue this with both my P, 50 and 58 degree over the next week or so.

Man having an empty course was awesome, I could have stayed out there another two hours or so just working on short game shots, they are so fun to hit.

So let's hear what you guys have done to dial in your wedge distances, or how well you know you distances on each wedge.

Wait, where was my invite to this?? ;) at the range near my house, I laser the closest flag to determine the distance since I'm not in the same stall each time. I've been working on hitting the 9i,pw, 52* and 58* to the different flags so I can expand my shot capabilities with each wedge. I've been doing this for the last several years.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Wait, where was my invite to this?? ;) at the range near my house, I laser the closest flag to determine the distance since I'm not in the same stall each time. I've been working on hitting the 9i,pw, 52* and 58* to the different flags so I can expand my shot capabilities with each wedge. I've been doing this for the last several years.

MDGolfHacker

It was very impromptu. The super told us he'd just put in the first set of Kirby markers. So I told him I was going to go grab my laser and ride out and see.

Of course my laser was in my golf bag, so it was just easier to grab it and one thing led to another. Lol

But we will have to do this one evening. It would be a great aspect to add as part of our forum testing of the e6.

One club, you guys must be right handed. Seriously though, I will attempt any shot, I have a pretty good idea on my wedge distances for the most part, so it depends on the conditions that day. I can bang balls all day at a specific yardage, but on course it's different. My full 57 goes 95'ish, full 53 goes 108'ish, and my 49 goes about 120'ish. Wind and lie can have a factor as well, if I have a 50-60 yard shot I can play that with any one of those 3 clubs. I use some imagination on what I want the shot to do. I only take it high in the air if I have to, I would rather play the ball down and try to control the shot.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

One club, you guys must be right handed. Seriously though, I will attempt any shot, I have a pretty good idea on my wedge distances for the most part, so it depends on the conditions that day. I can bang balls all day at a specific yardage, but on course it's different. My full 57 goes 95'ish, full 53 goes 108'ish, and my 49 goes about 120'ish. Wind and lie can have a factor as well, if I have a 50-60 yard shot I can play that with any one of those 3 clubs. I use some imagination on what I want the shot to do. I only take it high in the air if I have to, I would rather play the ball down and try to control the shot.

The one thing this showed as small of sample as it was. I need to spend a lot more time doing this.

To your point, the shots with the 50 came in low to mid flight landed checked a bit bit rolled out a few feet. The fact they were still short shows I was not aggressive enough with them.

The 54 definitely came in much higher, had more of a hit and stop and even a spin back on a couple. The fact I was more aggressive with it led to that spin along with the increased loft.

Like you said, in addition to knowing the distances, I need to learn different flights wiith them to adjust to varying green and wind conditions.

But I have to walk before I run.

Not me, I'm a Lefty ;)

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

True. I don't get to practice as much anymore, but I've always been a good wedge player, most lefties are. It's about seeing the shot in your mind, then just doing it. Sometimes it works and other time it doesn't, I rarely use my highest lofted club inside 70 yards or so, it's too easy to slide under the ball, especially if the turf is soft, and it's too easy to blade it if the turf is hard, so I use my 49* or 53* for a lot of those shots, you can't be afraid to go past the flag with these shots. A lot of the reason that we come up short is fear of going long. It's all about trust, you have to trust the decision you make. The pros make a decision a make the swing, good or bad. If you don't trust the decision it will always be bad.

True. I don't get to practice as much anymore, but I've always been a good wedge player, most lefties are. It's about seeing the shot in your mind, then just doing it. Sometimes it works and other time it doesn't, I rarely use my highest lofted club inside 70 yards or so, it's too easy to slide under the ball, especially if the turf is soft, and it's too easy to blade it if the turf is hard, so I use my 49* or 53* for a lot of those shots, you can't be afraid to go past the flag with these shots. A lot of the reason that we come up short is fear of going long. It's all about trust, you have to trust the decision you make. The pros make a decision a make the swing, good or bad. If you don't trust the decision it will always be bad.

I must of missed that Lefty memo, lol

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I still use my method listed above for finding distances, it works.

As for wedge theory mine is a variation on Pelz.  I have 4 wedges.  I have a stock "full" shot with each wedge.  Then I have the same swing but choked down to the bottom of the grip.  It takes 5-7yds off a shot for me.  So that's 2 stock distances with each wedge for a total of 8 without having to change my swing at all.  Whenever you lay up just try to be around those yardages.

If you want to bring in Pelz theory now do the same thing with regular grip and choked down grip but with half swings.  Now you have 16 stock yardages with only 2 swings just by adjusting the grip.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

And just as important as knowing your wedge distances is knowing what your "green light" yardages are.  These yardages are the ones where you feel like you can really attack the pin, whether it be with a full swing, or a 3/4 swing, etc.

For instance, I hit my 54* wedge around 102 yards.  However, 85 yards is my money distance.  This is the yardage where I can saw off a little 54* wedge, really control the distance and attack a smaller target.  

These yardages are important for if you are playing to a number on a short par 4, laying up on a par 5, or punching out of trouble to get up and down.

I used to have full-3/4, half, and quarter swing distances for PW through LW but I got away from it.  I would love to be able to practice wedge distances as others have done;  just don't have a place to go.  Getting course time probably isn't practical and doing this on a range would get cost prohibitive especially if I was spending hours practicing distances; which I know I could.   My approach now is when I go into golf shops and they have simulators I grab some used wedges and try to hit specific distances. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Im working on dialing in my wedges now. So far it looks like:

PW- 135

GW- 118

SW-105

LW- 85 full, 60@9o'clock, 45@8o'clock, 30@7o'clock......

I'm looking to improve my wedges by trying another method to range my SW and LW shots.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

I know about how far my wedges go, and I have 5 of them if you count my 9-iron (Scor 42*) as a wedge.  I say about because I sort of go by feel and the type of shot I want to play.  I know that's contrary to what an engineer would do... bite me!!

To your 50 yard pin, I could play any of my SCORs from 42* to 58*, but it depends on pin location.  In fact, that is one of the ways I practice my short game.  Obviously, I wouldn't play the longer clubs to a front pin, but I would if the pin is middle to back.  Try it sometime... see how many different clubs you can get close to the pin.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The best thing that ever happened to me in this regard was doing the SCOR test a few years ago. I learned all about my wedges.

The Pelz method does not work for me. What does is the method described by Meyer. I make the same swing with each of my wedges every time and just grip down to take yardage off. I have 12 yards between max and two inch grip down. It works for me. I'm reasonably good with my wedges

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Not me, I'm a Lefty ;)

MDGolfHacker

Fairly new southpaw too!

Callaway big bertha adilia rogue stiff with 1" tip

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

m2 3 hybrid adilia rogue stiff with half inch tip

Ping ie1 true temper xp 105 s300

mack daddy 2 56 and 60 wedges

stx putter

left handed

Handicap: my swing.

For wedge play especially around the green I just feel it out, use a little imagination and try to see things differently. I am not mechanical at all with my swing, it's all feel. not every shot works out how I want it to, but if you don't try it you don't know for next time.

The discussion generally centers around mechanical vs feel. How do you define the difference? Ultimately I don't think there is anyone that is exclusively one or the other. You may not think mechanics but you probably do incorporate mechanical thoughts. If you think you are all feel then you should be able to hit a ball x distance without ever looking at the target

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I know in my case, I think I used to be all feel for wedges, but not very good at judging feel as I would say my short game was average at best for a higher cap, and very subpar compared to single digit guys.   But I think it will be more of a combination this year than in any year past.   In the past I eyeballed distances, versus getting the exact distance and went with what club I thought was good for that distance. 

Now that I'm using a laser on a regular basis as opposed to just a GPS, I'll have a more exact idea.  No worries, I won't be lasering every 12 yard shot from off the green.   But that said, I certainly might take time to laser a shot to find out if it's 45 yards vs 60 yards, as opposed to going with what I think I see, as I have in the past. 

And also knowing the distances, I will be getting from each wedge with more practice and more testing of such to be confident what distance each one will give me. 

The discussion generally centers around mechanical vs feel. How do you define the difference? Ultimately I don't think there is anyone that is exclusively one or the other. You may not think mechanics but you probably do incorporate mechanical thoughts. If you think you are all feel then you should be able to hit a ball x distance without ever looking at the target

Well, as a Pelz devotee, mechanics and feel are inseparable. Ideally, my mechanics will always be identical; same takeaway, same angle of attack and same follow through. The only difference is how far back I take my club. Now, we all have our points on the clock face but really, that's a "feel" issue. Particularly if I'm inside 70 yards and there are other factors in play (slope, wind, etc.) Essentially, I'm keeping the mechanics as simple as possible so I can just use my "feel".

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I know you are right.  I think over time, most people who practice these shots trust the shots because they have experienced the mechanical part of it enough that feel takes over.  In my mind there are too many variables to consider to be mechanical... what's the lie look like, how much fly vs roll, uphill/downhill, undulations in the green, grain, how much the ball wlll/won't spin, etc.  If I work on the basic fundamentals so I know I can execute a shot, then I don't even think about something like "clock locations".  Given the lie I have, I visualize what type of shot I want and then pick the club to use.  For most short shots I can pick one of several clubs to use.  It looks good when I pull it off; if I don't then I just say I picked the wrong club since I don't have a caddie to blame.   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Pelz really isn't a feel based approach. He is vey mechanical with the clock distances. There will always be a balance for people with no one 100% in either direction. Some will use the same swing but vary the pace while others will go to specific points and use the same pace. Neither approach is right or wrong it is just how you the individual processes information. All the suggestions in this thread work for someone. Don't be afraid to experiment and find what works best for your brain.

Archived