Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Knowing Your Wedge Distances

Golfspy_CG2

when I speak of mechanics I am speaking of the swing mechanics, I do not think about any swing mechanics when I play a shot. Those thoughts happen before I get to the ball, I decide pretty quickly what I want to do and then just do it. I try to not think at all, when I start thinking it gets bad. So I may not be 100% feel but it is at least 95%.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

when I speak of mechanics I am speaking of the swing mechanics, I do not think about any swing mechanics when I play a shot. Those thoughts happen before I get to the ball, I decide pretty quickly what I want to do and then just do it. I try to not think at all, when I start thinking it gets bad. So I may not be 100% feel but it is at least 95%.

I can't think about swing mechanics while playing which is exactly why I can't use the Pelz method even though it makes sense. I'm three quarters with my short irons and wedges and vary distances by gripping down. The thought of swing harder or softer or stopping at 9 o'clock or whatever scares the heck out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I use my own "clock" thing. I guess it's more of a feel. I don't count but say if I have a 40 yard shot, it would be about 40% back swing, around 9 o clock. If start counting I start hitting really bad shots.

40 yards is the first dot on my SCOR 60. The only thing I have to worry about is if I want to flight it down but I generally handle that by taking more club and gripping down further.

Beyond a doubt there are differing methods that work.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I generally have just two distances with my wedges. Too far or way short.

Callaway big bertha adilia rogue stiff with 1" tip

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

m2 3 hybrid adilia rogue stiff with half inch tip

Ping ie1 true temper xp 105 s300

mack daddy 2 56 and 60 wedges

stx putter

left handed

Handicap: my swing.

... You guys using the Pelz method must live in relatively calm weather conditions. I am a feel player to begin with, but the wind is so different daily here in Chicago I think it would be impossible to use a clock method. Playing the other day with my son who ballooned a lw from 105 into the wind, while I hit it to 10 feet with a knockdown from 102 using an 7 iron. Had a 105 shot on the next hole that was dead downwind and just hit a full lw (my usual distance is 85 yds) and was about 15 feet past the hole. 

... Every shot is an adventure, especially in the spring and fall when winds can be 10-15 with gusts to 25+ so I play exclusively by feel and can use anything form a 5 iron to a lw from 100 yds depending on the pin placement. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I wish it only blew 10-15 here. This weekend 20-30.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... Yea Tony this spring has been insane here too. We have had 25-35 mph winds pretty consistently. Cancelled a the time when it was 40+ with gusts up to 60. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I like to grab 9 balls, three for each of my wedges, then find an empty hole at my course and hit to the front edge from different spots. I'll try to hit a different shot for each ball if using the same club.

So say I'm using my 58 first I'll try to throw the first really high and land soft then hit the second low with some run out and try to find the middle area for the third.

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

Course near my house has mini flagsticks in 10 yard intervals from 50-100 yards. That really helped me figure out my 50, 54 and 58 wedge distances. Along with some on course trail and (mostly) error. Also helped me figure out half swing and knock down type distances with the clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

Good drill is to bring your range finder and hit a 1/2, 3/4, and full swing with each wedge. Record the distaches for each one and you will have a lot of confidence out there.

Sent from my VS987 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

May or may not make any sense... good luck readers.

Shanksters Wedge Wisdom or (Something)

I'm a self proclaimed Short Game Genius....(minus putting) I hate putting.

I wear my wedges out quick. Being 20 miles from the nearest golf course I get A LOT of time in the back yard. I have 75 yards to play with unless the neighbors go on vacation, then I can get a full 160-165 yard 8 iron in. (Sorry Jim). Probably hit 200 wedge shots a week. If I could play golf from 100 yards in with one club and no putter I would be great.

I used a 52°, 56°, 60° for the past 2 years. But the majority of my short game I used my 56°. I crafted 5 ways to get to the same distance with the same club. High, Low, Lob, Mid, and a runner. I practice off yards like 17, 24, 68, 7... you get the point. My back yard is full of divots. (Wife not happy)

So dropping a wedge made me not have to worry about should I hit a 3/4 56° or a Full 60°... I just practice my 5 shots with one club, using the clock drill. That you can find all over the inter web.

Now I have a 53° and 57°, and I see the 57° being the work horse as my 56° was. I might add a 61°/62°. I put some pictures up in the pics from the course thread from my first on "course" time with the 57°, it's going to be a fun summer. Now if I can learn how to putt...

So for those 5 shots I have 10 balls I practice with. First I'll throw a chair or something a few feet in front of me, and hit some high shots over it.

For the next ball I'll move behind a tree and hit my Lob.

Next ball I'll either move back to the chair, or put a ball near a tree trunk, or something that will restrict my swing, and hit the little runner.

My mid shot is standard from the fairway, I practice this the most at the 70ish range...Slightly more forward press and a 80% follow through.

The low shot I wait till it's windy, which happens a lot here, the trees are about 60' tall, and when it's windy if your above them... see ya. I think I covered them all.

Recently added bunker practice, and I actually enjoy hitting from the bunker now instead of running away from it.

I have put a lot of practice into my wedge game, and it's my favorite part of it. I think you are right on with your on course practice, I'd use a gps or phone app and pick some off yardages to practice, other than that your doing what I would if I had access to a course close. I will post up an attachment of my drills I put in a word doc tomorrow.

Long winded. Sorry - Enjoy the Wedgeness!

Edit: I also practice hitting draws and fades at the longer distances. Mostly hit a fade shape at the shorter distances.

I admire your dedication.  I have a pretty open area in my back yard as well and will try this.  I don't have a good short game by any means, but we can all agree that it is generally easier to hit a 1/2 shot from longer grass than a tight lie.  How do you practice the tight lies?  

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

... You guys using the Pelz method must live in relatively calm weather conditions. I am a feel player to begin with, but the wind is so different daily here in Chicago I think it would be impossible to use a clock method. Playing the other day with my son who ballooned a lw from 105 into the wind, while I hit it to 10 feet with a knockdown from 102 using an 7 iron. Had a 105 shot on the next hole that was dead downwind and just hit a full lw (my usual distance is 85 yds) and was about 15 feet past the hole. 

... Every shot is an adventure, especially in the spring and fall when winds can be 10-15 with gusts to 25+ so I play exclusively by feel and can use anything form a 5 iron to a lw from 100 yds depending on the pin placement. 

I think your take on the "Pelz method" may be a bit misinformed. How is "feel" more precise than an accurate method for controlling distance? When Pelz did a study of "feel" shots versus full swings, he found that distance control was twice as bad among PGA tour pros compared with full swings. I would imagine the discrepancy is even greater with amateurs. I have personally found that in windy conditions, which are common here, distance control is more important than ever!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Archived