TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Wedges?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discussing one's favorite wedge is probably about as subjective as talking about one's favorite putter.

People may already be biased towards a particular brand name for starters. Next, any given individual has different needs or desires when it comes to shape, offset, etc.

With regard to technological differences in grooves, the USGA and R&A put pretty restrictive limits upon what can be done in this arena. This year, it appears that the Cleveland CG15 may have done the most to push the envelope in groove milling. But then again, why the rush to dig up the old Ping Eye2? :lol:

Other differences involve how a wedge is produced (forged, cast, milled) and what metals are used to make a wedge (stainless steel vs. carbon steel). Usually it boils down to making as high a quality product as possible for the lowest amount of dollars.

You can't go wrong with Vokey, Cleveland or Mizuno - the names you mentioned in your first post. At the same time, you would probably still be the envy a lot of people if you bagged a Fourteen, copper Ping Eye2, Vega, Gauge Designs, or any other multitude of companies who make golf wedges.

Discussing one's favorite wedge is probably about as subjective as talking about one's favorite putter.

People may already be biased towards a particular brand name for starters. Next, any given individual has different needs or desires when it comes to shape, offset, etc.

With regard to technological differences in grooves, the USGA and R&A put pretty restrictive limits upon what can be done in this arena. This year, it appears that the Cleveland CG15 may have done the most to push the envelope in groove milling. But then again, why the rush to dig up the old Ping Eye2? :lol:

Other differences involve how a wedge is produced (forged, cast, milled) and what metals are used to make a wedge (stainless steel vs. carbon steel). Usually it boils down to making as high a quality product as possible for the lowest amount of dollars.

You can't go wrong with Vokey, Cleveland or Mizuno - the names you mentioned in your first post. At the same time, you would probably still be the envy a lot of people if you bagged a Fourteen, copper Ping Eye2, Vega, Gauge Designs, or any other multitude of companies who make golf wedges.

Well said Moecat, well said.

I played Pings for years and loved the feel but my Vokeys are far better than my Pings. I would love to try Vega, Scratch, KZG and Fourteen wedges though.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

Scratch is a cult following and I have drank their poison. Use to play Vokeys, Cleveland 588s and CG 12s, Ping Tours and Mizuno. I have the forged wedges (1018) and anxious to try out the 8620 cast wedges when they come out in lefty.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Good point OP. I feel like it's all personal preference. Scratch wedges offer so many varieties of grinds/bounce configurations and almost total personalization, especially the tour department. That's why people love them so much.

Titleist 909D2 | Taylormade r7 Ti | Titleist 909 H 19* | Mizuno MX-300 4-GW - Nippon 1050GH | Vokey SM 56*, 60* | Odyssey Black Series i #9 - UST Frequency Filtered |

I used to be a fan of the Taylor Made offerings, but I have grown fond of Titleist Spin Milled's here recently. I really like the Mizuno Quad Cut wedges even though they don't meet the new groove requirement.

• SPY VIP

Although I've heard mixed reviews on the new Jaws wedge, I'm a big fan of Callaway's X-Forged wedges. The Mac Daddy grooves are the real deal as far as spin (and control) are concerned. How Roger Cleveland designed wedges could be left out of the discussion so far is mind-boggling.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Personally for me the Scratch 1018 wedges are the best I have played by far. I would take a look at them if you get the chance.

Taylormade SLDR 430- Ahina 70S
Titleist 915FD 15*- D+ 80S
Titleist 915H 21*- D+ 90S
Titleist 915H 23*- D+ 90S
Titleist AP2 718 (5-Gap)- Steelfiber i95S
Scratch TD DW 54* & 58* KBS HiRev 125S

Odyssey O-Works 7S

Byron Morgan DH11 360g (carbon)

TP Mills Softail 354g (carbon)
TP Mills Heritage 349g (carbon)
Byron Morgan 006 355g (carbon)
C&L CL1 368g (carbon)

I use and like Vokey and Mizuno wedges, and I hear Scratch wedges are really nice. I don't like Clevelands because the sole is rounded and I don't like the look. The Mizunos are softer but also wear out faster than the Vokeys so when I replace my Mizuno I thnk I'm goig with a Vokey.

I use and like Vokey and Mizuno wedges, and I hear Scratch wedges are really nice. I don't like Clevelands because the sole is rounded and I don't like the look. The Mizunos are softer but also wear out faster than the Vokeys so when I replace my Mizuno I thnk I'm goig with a Vokey.

I have tried most of the Japan forged wedges. I actually have a tour scratch and bunch of vega wedges (some never hit) for sale. I like the Vega's more than the Scratch wedges I have hit. I tried a couple of fourteen wedges as well and did not care for them. The only thing I have not hit are the Chikara.

Chris Jordan

23836_1246921490608_1156541241_30561961_4305609_s.jpg

Sunset Beach Custom Putters

Email me

Driver: Adams Fast 10 w/ Matrix Ozik TP6HD

3 Wood: Nickent 3dx Tour 3+ w/ UST Mamiya Black

5 Wood: Bridgestone J38 / Motore F1

Hybrid: TM Rescue TP 22* w/ UST Mamiya Black

4-PW: Bridgestone J38 Dual Pocket Cavity w/ Project X

52* and 58* - J38 Black Oxide w/ Project X

Putter - SSB Ocracoke in Oil-Rubbed Bronze

Ball - Srixon Z-Star Tour Diamond or Bridgestone B-330S

I have tried most of the Japan forged wedges. I actually have a tour scratch and bunch of vega wedges (some never hit) for sale. I like the Vega's more than the Scratch wedges I have hit. I tried a couple of fourteen wedges as well and did not care for them. The only thing I have not hit are the Chikara.

Chris, what is going on with SSB and wedges? You guys going to have some for production?

Would love one of those! The milling on them is Stunning!!

My TM RAC Satin wedges I purchased in 2005 have 500 rounds on them as well as hours and hours of practice strikes. The grooves on the sweet spot are almost nonexistent.

The new Cleveland CG15 wedges in Black Pearl interest me. Anyone have any experience with them?

Semper Fi

My Club

My TM RAC Satin wedges I purchased in 2005 have 500 rounds on them as well as hours and hours of practice strikes. The grooves on the sweet spot are almost nonexistent.

The new Cleveland CG15 wedges in Black Pearl interest me. Anyone have any experience with them?

CG 15's are really good IMO. I have been a Cleveland guy since 1990, and you should take my advice with a grain of salt. I currently own 7 Cleveland wedges, and am in the process of purchasing 4 more. It is tough to go wrong with the #1 wedge in golf.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I have used Clevelands, Vokeys and Taylormade and thought they were all pretty good with Taylormade probably performing the best for me.

However in the last few months I have been using Eidolon wedges. they are definately the best I have used. Their spin and versatility are second to none, and although cast, feel soft and solid. They are a fringe manufacturer but I think word is getting around with equipment junkies. I hope they get the market recognition they deserve.

Cobra S2 9.5 with Aldila Voodoo reg.

Sonartec SS 3.5 14* with Fuji tour platform.

TM V-Steel 18* 5 wood with stock reax stiff shaft.

Sonartec HB-001 21* hybrid with graphite design stiff.

4-pw KZG Evolution irons with Rifle 5.0 Flighted.

TM rac gap wedge 52/8 with DG wedge flex.

Mizuno MPT 10 56* sw with DG wedge flex.

Knockoff 2 ball putter.

ProV1 or Bridgestone 330RX.

I think you have to be aware of your ball striking abilities when considering some of the so-called "tour wedges". Guys buy them because they like the looks but the small heads and narrow soles do them no favors.

As a mid-handicapper, I've played a lot of the wedges mentioned, and I've found nothing better for my game than the Ping iWedges. And if you're not an expert bunker player, there is NOTHING that beats the 56* iWedge in the sand. That club is just money!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I really like my Vokey SW. I used to be a Cleveland guy, but I don't think their grinds suit me as well. Problem with Vokey is it's not forged and I can mess around with the lie and loft too much.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

• SPY VIP

Right now I use the Burner gap 50* and sand 55* that match my set. I have found that I am much more consistent when they match. I can't tell you how much I want to buy tour wedges and I have. I had CG12 54/60 TM TP54/58, Cleveland 588 60*, Vokey 58*. I probably gamed the CG12s the most. Pure contact was amazing, but very infrequent.

I look at CG14's all the time. I feel like they should be in my bag, but I know that they are likely too much.

Instead, I may order the lob to match my set of burners, but right now, I am trying to learn how to open the face and hit lob distance with my 55*.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I've been a Vokey guy since I started playing (with one TM thrown in for good measure, which I really liked). This year I think I'm going to take a swing at some Scratch wedges and see for myself how the grinds impact my game. I really appreciate the fact that Scratch is offering something at so many price points so that you can try something without spending a fortune and feeling married to it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I live in Atlanta and I'm thinking of making the trip to Scratch's facility in Chattanooga as it's only 2 hours away. I'd like to try out their wedges.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I have tried a lot of the custom wedges and I liked Scratch the best of those but don't think I have ever gotten the correct grind for me ... hence I have switched b/t my 2 favs over the years: Titleist and Cleveland. Currently play the new CG15s and like them a lot.

Although I've heard mixed reviews on the new Jaws wedge, I'm a big fan of Callaway's X-Forged wedges. The Mac Daddy grooves are the real deal as far as spin (and control) are concerned. How Roger Cleveland designed wedges could be left out of the discussion so far is mind-boggling.

^ this.

I love my X forged MD set. (52, 56, 60)

This weekend I tired many different wedges. I Didn't like the Callaway Jaws simply cus it didn't feel right in my hands and the feel on the face wasn't the best. I did like the Scratch but I don' think the wedge I had was the correct grind for me but still a great club. Cleveland CG15 was mehh and so was the new Mizuno, nothing bad about them but nothing to write home about. When it came down to it I still loved my Vokeys which are still new to me since they only have 3 full rounds on them but about twice as much range time. Bottom line is wedges and putters are all personal prefrence and what looks best to you.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

Not sure of what Cleveland wedges might be right for you? Well we have a wedge fitting system that can help you decide! Bounce, lofts, and style all in one place. You can check it out.

Cleveland Golf's Wedge Fitting System

Archived