Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best Wedges?

• SPY VIP

I would reshaft them. Pull the shafts from your burner wedges, and install in TP wedges. Make sure that the TP's are not taper tip before proceeding however...

But are the Y grooves and the Z grooves conforming? ;)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But are the Y grooves and the Z grooves conforming? :angry:

"Well Sir, (rolls eyes)..."

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

They would probably work out great with time. Right now, I think having a different wedge brand/model would cause me to feel the need to alter my swing and then resulting contact would be iffy.

Why would you alter your swing based on what equipment you have? Shouldn't it be the other way around? You lost me there bud.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I never understood the camo wedge.... That thing is just asking to get lost.

Neckcar fans love Boo Weekley. Boo Weekley loves camo. Do the math. :angry:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

They are thick soled, but it opens naturally to about 2 O'clock or so could go more open, but if I open a wedge that much and take a swing, someone's car in the parking lot is losing a window.

the 55 is great in the sand too, open it, swing hard (this is the tough part to remember) and the ball pops up and out. again maybe not as well as a tour type wedge could get it done, but the tour wedge tends to do bad things in my hands.

one of my playing goals is to get a 58 or 60 and practice with it until I can consistently hit at target from 50 yards and in. maybe later in the season once my iron swing plays nice again

I think where you lose playing matching short game clubs is on finesse shots around the green (chipping and short pitch shots, not bunker play). The wedge grinds now allow you to open the face and add more or less loft as the situation dictates. To me, that outweighs any advantage I would get from having my wedges look like the rest of my set at address.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I personally like the X-Forged callys. They wear like a tank and still spin the snot out of the ball for me. I shafted them with KB 6.5. Good flight and plenty of spin.

The CG-15's recently caught my eye...in 52 and 58 Oil Quench finish....anyone played extensively with the Dynamic Sole Grind? I need to demo some to see how they perform on all types of shots.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

I personally like the X-Forged callys. They wear like a tank and still spin the snot out of the ball for me. I shafted them with KB 6.5. Good flight and plenty of spin.

The CG-15's recently caught my eye...in 52 and 58 Oil Quench finish....anyone played extensively with the Dynamic Sole Grind? I need to demo some to see how they perform on all types of shots.

I've messed around with the DSG's in the previous generation of Cleveland wedges. It makes for a very versatile wedge. Highly recommended if you are a Cleveland fan.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I've messed around with the DSG's in the previous generation of Cleveland wedges. It makes for a very versatile wedge. Highly recommended if you are a Cleveland fan.

thanks, i was thinking of going with 52/58 setup and would possibly need the DSG on the 52 for those 40 yard low runners that are supposed to stop or else the small pitches from 60 or so over crap that i want to run a touch out of rough. Did you notice any significant sliding under the ball in heavier rough?

good to see someone else up at this time of night :(

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

thanks, i was thinking of going with 52/58 setup and would possibly need the DSG on the 52 for those 40 yard low runners that are supposed to stop or else the small pitches from 60 or so over crap that i want to run a touch out of rough. Did you notice any significant sliding under the ball in heavier rough?

good to see someone else up at this time of night :(

No, for me they played fine out of the rough. But, I guess it depends on how heavy you're talking about.

Yeah, I'm a night owl. Plus, my job was been getting in the way of my forum responsibilities. Jobs are funny that way.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Are there three different finishes on all models? CG15 too. Are you thinking Camo for the 3rd on the CG14

I was thinking chrome, black pearl, and oil quench. I just got it off of Cleveland's website, and camo was no longer on there. They just don't make the 14 in oil quench, but that is the one that they did make in camo, so I guess it all evens out.

• SPY VIP

Why would you alter your swing based on what equipment you have? Shouldn't it be the other way around? You lost me there bud.

My swing is like a soap bubble sometimes, fragile and transient. When I look at the different head, I think different club and swing differently. Typically results are different from expected too...

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I think where you lose playing matching short game clubs is on finesse shots around the green (chipping and short pitch shots, not bunker play). The wedge grinds now allow you to open the face and add more or less loft as the situation dictates. To me, that outweighs any advantage I would get from having my wedges look like the rest of my set at address.

I can't tell you how bad I want that in my game, but I feel like I am just not there yet. What I really want is one wedge that becomes the magic wand from 50 yards in. I know the current burner sw is not this tool.

Once the swing in consistent, then I think that I will really look hard at the Scratch wedges to see if one of the fancy grinds fits my needs. My previous 60* were truly only money on the blade through the green shot...

Volvo Intorqueo

I agree with your main point here, for me, which is why I would only like to add a matched wedge in my 52* because that's basically just a full shot club.

I will also say that I think matching wedges are probably a good idea for the majority of high handicap golfers, in part because it would encourage them to play more straight forward shots around the green and fewer "60* laid wide open" flop shots that they see on TV.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Playing the tour wedge really feels like playing blades to me for now. Nice looking in the bag, ugly on the course.

Something to use as a goal though.

Volvo Intorqueo

Playing the tour wedge really feels like playing blades to me for now. Nice looking in the bag, ugly on the course.

Something to use as a goal though.

Do it. Learn with them. You will reap the rewards later..

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Do it. Learn with them. You will reap the rewards later..

So do I get a CG14 to have a little help, or one of the scratch wedges.

Should the 60* become the everything club?

Volvo Intorqueo

I would get a Scratch wedge. Much higher quality from what I hear. I prefer the 1 wedge approach to simplify everything, but some people, Dave Pelz comes to mind, like to use all of their wedges. Whatever is best for you.

• SPY VIP

I would get a Scratch wedge. Much higher quality from what I hear. I prefer the 1 wedge approach to simplify everything, but some people, Dave Pelz comes to mind, like to use all of their wedges. Whatever is best for you.

One wedge for simplicity. Still bag others for full shots. I am just going to try and stick to one thing for a while.

What that thing is still tbd

Volvo Intorqueo

I would only drop the dough on a Scratch if you know exactly what grind you want, or can be for for that grind. I put the CG12's back in for today, and they have earned a place in the bag... For a while.

I would only drop the dough on a Scratch if you know exactly what grind you want, or can be for for that grind. I put the CG12's back in for today, and they have earned a place in the bag... For a while.

CG12 was the nemesis wedge that I bought when I bought my first set. 60* only brought smiles to the balls. :(

That is why I am thinking CG14

12's and 14's are so similar, that the only difference is the placebo effect. Get the 14's if you think that you will hit them better, because you will.

CG12 was the nemesis wedge that I bought when I bought my first set. 60* only brought smiles to the balls. :(

That is why I am thinking CG14

Are the 14's actually more forgiving or are they just softer?

i just picked up a 58 x-tour PM Grind vintage at global golf for 60 bucks. Not a bad deal, throw the KB Tour back in it and i am good to go for another 2 years. Also, i ground the leading edge of my mizzy MP-T 51 which seemed to dig wayy to much for me. Much better today even though i didn't hit it all that often today.

• SPY VIP

Are the 14's actually more forgiving or are they just softer?

Gel insert to be more forgiving, but nic says that is mainly placebo...

I am just sticking to my burners, maybe ordering the lob. Scoring is just better right now.

today vokey added about 4 strokes because I am unfamiliar with it.

after practice, we will reassess.

Volvo Intorqueo

Gel insert to be more forgiving, but nic says that is mainly placebo...

I am just sticking to my burners, maybe ordering the lob. Scoring is just better right now.

today vokey added about 4 strokes because I am unfamiliar with it.

after practice, we will reassess.

Today's round made me want to play wedges that matched my set. Hit some real ugos with the wedges. Then on 16 I hit one to 10 feet and sucked it back - Vokeys redeemed!

That aside, if/when I get a new set of irons I will definitely get a matching gap wedge.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Today's round made me want to play wedges that matched my set. Hit some real ugos with the wedges. Then on 16 I hit one to 10 feet and sucked it back - Vokeys redeemed!

That aside, if/when I get a new set of irons I will definitely get a matching gap wedge.

No pull the string back for me today. :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

• 2 months later...

I agree that wedges are very personal and I have played with Cleveland, Vokey and Mizuno.....I recently fell hard for the Exotics Tour Black Extreme Spin Wedges with a KBS Tour Black Nickel Shaft...I have a 52 and 56....they have a great feel and look....easy to play with and the 56 is as good a wedge out of the sand as I have ever played.....worth a look for sure

• SPY VIP

Thanks for your input and welcome to the forums Jazzman.

I agree that wedges are very personal and I have played with Cleveland, Vokey and Mizuno.....I recently fell hard for the Exotics Tour Black Extreme Spin Wedges with a KBS Tour Black Nickel Shaft...I have a 52 and 56....they have a great feel and look....easy to play with and the 56 is as good a wedge out of the sand as I have ever played.....worth a look for sure

#TruthDigest

Archived