Best Wedges?

So do I get a CG14 to have a little help, or one of the scratch wedges.

Should the 60* become the everything club?

I would only drop the dough on a Scratch if you know exactly what grind you want, or can be for for that grind. I put the CG12's back in for today, and they have earned a place in the bag... For a while.

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CG12 was the nemesis wedge that I bought when I bought my first set. 60* only brought smiles to the balls. :(

That is why I am thinking CG14

12's and 14's are so similar, that the only difference is the placebo effect. Get the 14's if you think that you will hit them better, because you will.

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

i just picked up a 58 x-tour PM Grind vintage at global golf for 60 bucks. Not a bad deal, throw the KB Tour back in it and i am good to go for another 2 years. Also, i ground the leading edge of my mizzy MP-T 51 which seemed to dig wayy to much for me. Much better today even though i didn't hit it all that often today.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

• SPY VIP

Are the 14's actually more forgiving or are they just softer?

Gel insert to be more forgiving, but nic says that is mainly placebo...

I am just sticking to my burners, maybe ordering the lob. Scoring is just better right now.

today vokey added about 4 strokes because I am unfamiliar with it.

after practice, we will reassess.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Gel insert to be more forgiving, but nic says that is mainly placebo...

I am just sticking to my burners, maybe ordering the lob. Scoring is just better right now.

today vokey added about 4 strokes because I am unfamiliar with it.

after practice, we will reassess.

Today's round made me want to play wedges that matched my set. Hit some real ugos with the wedges. Then on 16 I hit one to 10 feet and sucked it back - Vokeys redeemed!

That aside, if/when I get a new set of irons I will definitely get a matching gap wedge.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Today's round made me want to play wedges that matched my set. Hit some real ugos with the wedges. Then on 16 I hit one to 10 feet and sucked it back - Vokeys redeemed!

That aside, if/when I get a new set of irons I will definitely get a matching gap wedge.

No pull the string back for me today. :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• 2 months later...

I agree that wedges are very personal and I have played with Cleveland, Vokey and Mizuno.....I recently fell hard for the Exotics Tour Black Extreme Spin Wedges with a KBS Tour Black Nickel Shaft...I have a 52 and 56....they have a great feel and look....easy to play with and the 56 is as good a wedge out of the sand as I have ever played.....worth a look for sure

• SPY VIP

Thanks for your input and welcome to the forums Jazzman.

I agree that wedges are very personal and I have played with Cleveland, Vokey and Mizuno.....I recently fell hard for the Exotics Tour Black Extreme Spin Wedges with a KBS Tour Black Nickel Shaft...I have a 52 and 56....they have a great feel and look....easy to play with and the 56 is as good a wedge out of the sand as I have ever played.....worth a look for sure

#TruthDigest

I am playing a mixed bag of old Cleveland and Nike SVTs, do even really use them much, mainly just my PW and SW from the R7 set. I am going to test some Vokey, per my golf instructor.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

I have played about every wedge on the market, but I always go back to Callaway. My second favorite would definitely be Titleist. I buy new wedges every year or so, because I love to hit low spinners from 75 and in; as soon as they stop spinning I go from 5' to 25' putts.

First pair of Scratch wedges are en route... :)

A dangerous road to start down...

I've got Nike VR PW and AW, but am playing an Eidelon SW (56*). I can use the Eidelon as well or better than any wedge I've tried. The swing weight is perfect for my wedge shots and I really like the feel of their grip. I've never held a club that feels more "at home" in my hand. ;)

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I've been playing the CG15's for a month now. Best damn wedges I've ever gamed.

I love the Dynamic Sole Grind model for chips around the green and the sand wedge is money from green side bunkers. Nearly as good from the sand as the Ping iWedge it replaced and much more effective and versatile on other shots.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I love the feel and weight of the Mizuno MP R wedges. I find them easy to use but I can't live with the softness of the metal and the ease with which it can be pitted when a pebble gets between the ball and the club. I use Vokeys and Pings as they work very well and are made of harder metal.

Shambles