Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Weighted Clubs, Donuts, etc...?

Just curious......

I find it surprising that there is no mention of weighted clubs such as the ones made by Momentus, or even the simple little “Donut Weights” that you slip onto your club. The Donuts used to be very popular, but I had a heck of a time finding any recently...finally found some on eBay for less than $10 shipped. I still use these for practice swings like when I'm at work and have a little time or maybe late at night in the back yard. Even for warming up prior to playing a round.

I picked up a “used demo” Momentus Power Hitter, which you go out and actually hit balls with, from a local golf store for $20 (regularly $129). The jury is still out on this one, but it seems logical in theory.

Recently read an article in a golf magazine stating that Vijay Singh uses weighted clubs to exercise with on a routine basis. Claimed that weighted clubs are what have kept him competitive for so long.

I'm sure there are other products of a similar nature available.

I would value your thoughts on this subject.

All lies... It might keep you loose but it doesn't help your swing.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I always used to warm up the weighted doughnut, but I can see if you used it a lot with your driver, that it might not be good for the shaft (added torque). I would not have an issue in using it on an iron. BTW, my site sells the Weighted Doughnut (under $10 shipped as well). I have not had a request for one of those in quite some time!

I have always been partial to the Assist for my warm up club.

iKpbY.jpg

kkQji.jpgYsxjw.jpg

I am sure you can find one on Amazon. I sell the Momentus as well, but I always preferred the Assist. Because of the weighted head and the way the shaft is bent, I think it helps a lot with wrist rotation (personal opinion).

in all seriousness, from my experience the majority people use weighted / resistance clubs for the wrong reasons. the idea to improve speed, or strength will not happen from swinging these items, and more often than not, the opposite will happen.

i got to know the owner of the momentus a few years ago, and ended up on the cutting room floor for their first infomercial. long story short, the momentus feels heavy if your off plane, and light if your on plane and its best use is for that purpose.

the powerswing, is a great tool to use to feel how soon you can start the downswing on - you'll never catch up if you attempt to delay the lag on your start down, rather start thrusting against the air as soon as possible on the DS.

as for donuts - well breakfast of champions lol

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I use a weighted donut if I do not have a chance to warm up on a driving range. I slide it on my two iron, take a couple of swings and then I am off!

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

I believe that they did an episode of Sports Science (love that show) about donuts for baseball players and I believe that they showed that they actually made the players slower. I think the take away point was, "If you want to move fast, train fast."

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I believe that they did an episode of Sports Science (love that show) about donuts for baseball players and I believe that they showed that they actually made the players slower. I think the take away point was, "If you want to move fast, train fast."

Check the embeded vid in the 2nd post. I thought about the same thing Matt.

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

For warming up (and warming up only), leaving the SUMI-G head cover on my driver and/or hybrid and taking a few swings really helps get loosened up, especially when the driving range isn't an option.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I love those Sport Science videos... I've never used weighted clubs, but a lot of the guys on my league use the doughnuts on the first tee... looks like the advantage goes to me...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Wow... who would have thought? I won't be swinging 2-3-4 clubs for warmup any more!! :(

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

My, how opinions (theories?) change. Did you know that doctors once believed smoking was good for you? They even recommended that some patients take it up. And no, I don't smoke.....but I'm using this example to make a point. There are always differing opinions and ideas.

Back when I was on the golf team in High School, our coach had us practice swinging with “weighted clubs”. He claimed that it would help us to identify the point of highest efficiency in our swing....in other words – the groove. He also advised us to stay away from weightlifting claiming that it would mess up our swings and touch Granted, this was back in the mid-seventies....the generation that brought us Disco for crying out loud. But I remember swinging one or two of those “donuts” every day. Of course baseball players used similar donuts for warming-up......(now, they have steroids..), so the concept had merit.

I have continued to use them in some form or another (that “Accent” club looks like it has possibilities...I'll have to try it out!) for nearly 40 years. I did stop using them prior to a round of golf after reading somewhere that they mess up your tempo/timing, and I agree with that philosophy. Nevertheless, I still occasionally see somebody swinging away with them before teeing it up. For myself, I usually go with what works for me after much trial and error.

Recently, I came across this article in Golf Digest (April 2010) titled “10 Rules For Surviving Winter Breaks, Slumps & Other Game-Changers” by Jim McLean and Guy Yocum. In it, Rule #8 is titled “Beat Age With A Weighted Club”. In it, they cite Vijay Singh's workout routine and the results. One sentence in particular claims, “A weighted club is the best practice device invented.” It was only after reading this article that I got me another donut for practice.

I do not wish any disrespect to anybody with differing opinions. Especially to those of you who write with such conviction. (Manavs? You are extremely knowledgeable in this and other matters dealing with health, fitness and mechanics of the golf swing. Do you have a degree in Kinesiology?) This is simply intended to be something to think about.

By the way “Mr Fedora”, where I come from, its considered very rude to call someone a “liar”.

My, how opinions (theories?) change. Did you know that doctors once believed smoking was good for you? They even recommended that some patients take it up. And no, I don't smoke.....but I'm using this example to make a point. There are always differing opinions and ideas.

Back when I was on the golf team in High School, our coach had us practice swinging with “weighted clubs”. He claimed that it would help us to identify the point of highest efficiency in our swing....in other words – the groove. He also advised us to stay away from weightlifting claiming that it would mess up our swings and touch Granted, this was back in the mid-seventies....the generation that brought us Disco for crying out loud. But I remember swinging one or two of those “donuts” every day. Of course baseball players used similar donuts for warming-up......(now, they have steroids..), so the concept had merit.

I have continued to use them in some form or another (that “Accent” club looks like it has possibilities...I'll have to try it out!) for nearly 40 years. I did stop using them prior to a round of golf after reading somewhere that they mess up your tempo/timing, and I agree with that philosophy. Nevertheless, I still occasionally see somebody swinging away with them before teeing it up. For myself, I usually go with what works for me after much trial and error.

Recently, I came across this article in Golf Digest (April 2010) titled “10 Rules For Surviving Winter Breaks, Slumps & Other Game-Changers” by Jim McLean and Guy Yocum. In it, Rule #8 is titled “Beat Age With A Weighted Club”. In it, they cite Vijay Singh's workout routine and the results. One sentence in particular claims, “A weighted club is the best practice device invented.” It was only after reading this article that I got me another donut for practice.

I do not wish any disrespect to anybody with differing opinions. Especially to those of you who write with such conviction. (Manavs? You are extremely knowledgeable in this and other matters dealing with health, fitness and mechanics of the golf swing. Do you have a degree in Kinesiology?) This is simply intended to be something to think about.

By the way “Mr Fedora”, where I come from, its considered very rude to call someone a “liar”.

BTW How far East in TX are you? Im in Plano.

A few comments on this - your post is brilliantly worded - it reminds me of how Tom Watson warms up with his 2i and everyone thinks he's gone senile.

It all comes down to whats the purpose of using the tool... whats your goal with it?

the reasons Ive heard are:

- to increase swing speed

- to increase strength

- to find the swing plane

- to "loosen up"

- to "warm up" yes they are different

(please add more to your ideas)

lets handle these one at a time - to increase swing speed is a falsehood - the sport science video proves that. it has to do with the types of muscle fibers that are firing. blah blah blah

to increase strength is the BIGGEST load of crap ever, and here is why - increasing your "swing strength" will ruin your physique and your swing. if you strengthen your golf muscles, then you will inherently create a "reverse imbalance" because now your golf muscles have changed and your total body has not. so never ever try to build your "golf muscles" rather just train everything symmetrically so you can be a bigger stronger faster you - that will create a better stronger faster golf swing.

think if a boxer just trained his right arm and over developed it? a 150lb fighter with a muscular right arm will only hit you so hard. a 200lb fighter with a balanced body will knock you out. its part of the kinetic chain -your as strong as your weakest link so build your whole physique better. make sense?

- weighted clubs can be used for swing plane use as a drill as it is light when its on plane and heavy when its off. makes sense fine, but dont over do it thinking your gonna build muscles -

- loosening up - is joint specific - some very light stretching will do this, way to often overdone, and frankly not necessary if your in decent shape/

- warming up has to do with bloodflow to the muscle bellies themselves. swinging the club a few times - just practice swings is usually adequate enough. walking from your car to the first tee is good enough for me. sometimes it takes me waking up a few hours earlier to get going just because its early and my body has been in a catabolic state over night. so i may just flex my muscles a little bit - specifically biceps, triceps and shoulders - move my arms around a little bit - make a bicep shot and squeeze it. all this is doing is contracting the muscle and creating a demand for blood to enter. and thats all your looking for it should take 2-3 mins - thats all.

as for my degrees they are in business admin with a concentration in professional golf management. the fitness aspects were - thankfully - all learned in the school of hard knocks, the gym, some mentors, more mentors, and other mentors. i studied and learned alot from the internet, books, and any other resource i could get my hand on. all in the hopes of getting this 128lb carcass of a body to expand to the 185lbs its at currently without losing my swing and only enhancing it. which its safe to say i've done a good job of that, which i am quite proud of.

the bottom line is demonstratability - if you cant observe it by demonstration it doesnt hold in my book - which is why some theories in textbooks dont work in the real world. biggrin.gif

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I don't believe I called you a "LIAR" I said "All lies" The weight ruins your swing, as per the vid I posted...

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

BTW How far East in TX are you? Im in Plano.

A few comments on this - your post is brilliantly worded - it reminds me of how Tom Watson warms up with his 2i and everyone thinks he's gone senile.

It all comes down to whats the purpose of using the tool... whats your goal with it?

the reasons Ive heard are:

- to increase swing speed

- to increase strength

- to find the swing plane

- to "loosen up"

- to "warm up" yes they are different

(please add more to your ideas)

The only advantage I have found from weighted clubs/donuts is a big increase in my elbow tendonitis. They work great!! :angry:

My final thoughts on this subject.

First of all – “Mr Fedora” – as I see it, you "were" rude. Supporting your bold “statement” by claiming a video/TV program as proof demonstrates a very narrow mind. Try thinking “outside the box” or whatever term you want to use for “unconventional thought”. When I first saw the show, I thought it was an infomercial! I found it interesting, but arbitrary. In other words, it failed to explore other uses of a weighted club. Also, I am a new member of MGS just trying to initiate some friendly discussion with some personal observations. My opinions meant nothing – it was the article by Jim McLean about one of golf's greatest players, Vijay Singh ( winner of The Masters and 2 PGA Championships) that lent veracity to my post. I did not expect an encompassing comment such as “All lies” from one of this forum's more prolific posters. Not very friendly. As to your thinking....”Don't be so gullible McFly!”

For the unambiguous, cultivated “Mr Man”, ever hear of Charles Atlas? No? Yes? You somehow remind me of him (dynamic tension ring a bell?). So many questions and food for thought......where to begin? Should I tell you where I live so you can come down here and crush me? What the heck....I live in Athens – about 100 or so miles southeast of you. I hope you are enjoying life in Plano. By the way, Plano is not typical of Texas – the rest of us are married to our sisters and carry guns/beer wherever we go. Incidentally, thank you for your “brilliantly worded” compliment.....my editor would be pleased,.....I think?

Your statement....... “weighted clubs can be used for swing plane use as a drill as it is light when its on plane and heavy when its off. makes sense fine, but dont over do it thinking your gonna build muscles” is quite similar to my statement about my High School Golf Coach... “He claimed that it would help us to identify the point of highest efficiency in our swing....in other words – the groove”. I think we see eye-to-eye there. As for the rest of the problems you address – I, too, agree. That is my main objective I hope to gain. You might call it my goal.

For the unambiguous, cultivated “Mr Man”, ever hear of Charles Atlas? No? Yes?

Yes but your not going to kick sand in my face now are you? wink.gif

You somehow remind me of him (dynamic tension ring a bell?). So many questions and food for thought......where to begin?

I do have a personal Q & A thread located here if you have specific questions I will answer them all

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/576-q-a-with-bodybuilding-golf-pro-michael-manavian/

Should I tell you where I live so you can come down here and crush me?

Only if you want to play golf sometime

What the heck....I live in Athens – about 100 or so miles southeast of you. I hope you are enjoying life in Plano. By the way, Plano is not typical of Texas – the rest of us are married to our sisters and carry guns/beer wherever we go.

So you live in West Virginia? LOL

Incidentally, thank you for your “brilliantly worded” compliment.....my editor would be pleased,.....I think?

Your statement....... “weighted clubs can be used for swing plane use as a drill as it is light when its on plane and heavy when its off. makes sense fine, but dont over do it thinking your gonna build muscles” is quite similar to my statement about my High School Golf Coach... “He claimed that it would help us to identify the point of highest efficiency in our swing....in other words – the groove”. I think we see eye-to-eye there. As for the rest of the problems you address – I, too, agree. That is my main objective I hope to gain. You might call it my goal.

Glad to find some common agreement - I always liked the word efficient as it relates to the golf swing. There is a most efficient way for everyone that is least taxing, least straining, and with the maximum energetic output possible.

Specific to weighted clubs I've noticed that well balanced weighted bars work better than head weighted clubs. The momemtus and that speed stick thingie vijay swings both fall into that category because their weight is evenly balanced across the length of the cylindrical tube. if the opposite were true, you would give a 5 year old a heavy adult club and say good luck kiddo. that heavy headed weight would start swinging HIM instead of him swinging it!

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• 2 months later...

If I do not have a chance to warm up on a driving range I will try and use some kind of a weighted donut. I do a couple of swings and until I feel warmed up.. Usually helps, not as good as hitting a few balls on the driving range but its a great alternative. I found a couple good ones on GolfClubs.com like the warm-up swing weight which is the most basic form of these donut contraptions.

• 2 months later...

I always used to warm up the weighted doughnut, but I can see if you used it a lot with your driver, that it might not be good for the shaft (added torque). I would not have an issue in using it on an iron. BTW, my site sells the Weighted Doughnut (under $10 shipped as well). I have not had a request for one of those in quite some time!

I have always been partial to the Assist for my warm up club.

iKpbY.jpg

kkQji.jpgYsxjw.jpg

I am sure you can find one on Amazon. I sell the Momentus as well, but I always preferred the Assist. Because of the weighted head and the way the shaft is bent, I think it helps a lot with wrist rotation (personal opinion).

Yep I like the ASSIST also, I use the shorter travel model to stay limber indoors during the winter and I have the longer version for the good weather what little we get in SE Washington. When swung smoothly they do help square the club face and release the club for me at least. I found great deals on them both on ebay/

Sacrifice Or Regret...You Choose!

I have read all the posts here on this subject so I am going to throw my hat in the ring. I can only say this works for me. I have always used weighted clubs to keep loose and to warm up with. I prefer to weight my own. i have an old Top-Flite driver with a steel shaft that I drilled the head on and added fishing weights and epoxy to. It is probably too heavy for some to swing but it fits me. I do not hit balls with it though. I also have a cavity back 5 iron that I have car weights epoxyed to the cavity I do not hit balls with it either. I also built a "speed stick" out of a fiberglass whipping post. I use these items to loosen up with at the range along with streaching exercises. I have a hard time staying as loose as I used to due to muscle structure and age. I absolutely have to streach and warm up. Good example last week we had one decent day. My friend called me ad told me he had made up a demo Wishon 919 driver and I had been dying to try one. I stopped by his place during the day to hit it. I only took 3 practice swings and hit about 10 balls bad deal. I ended up pulling my right lateral muscle fortuantly no damage. My take on all of this is to do what works for you. I do know as we get older is is more important to streach and warm up properly

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 1 month later...

I have been swinging my DIY weighted club almost daily for a year. It's really my Lob Wedge with a sock tied to the club head. But I have come to the point where I think it's not going anywhere in increasing my clubhead speed.

After viewing the Sports Science video, I'm convinced enough that its time for a different approach. It makes perfect sense to me that being so used to heavy clubs, I tend to over-power the driver, and mis-time my swing, resulting in less than great drives.

From now onward, I'm going to swing something really light, like my son's driver. Let's see what happens in the weeks to come.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Big Stu!

After further reading, I learned that Ben Hogan did the same thing as you! Hard to argue with that.

East Texas

I did not know Mr Hogan did that. My dad taught me. As a big muscular guy that is getting older (54 now) I absolutely have to stay loose and warm up properly for me.My injury proved that. since healing up I have been careful to warm up and get loose before hitting balls and so far I have not reinjured myself. My build imagine a 6ft 2in Craig Stadler or big Andy Bean and that is my build in a nutshell

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

In order to properly warm up, I am a big advocate of lifting and emptying at least 2 pints before hittting the first tee.

RITFLMAO!! If I did that I would be hitting the first tee--- Face First

G

Archived