Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Swinging out of my shoes...

Figured this would be a good place for people to talk me off the ledge haha. Also, first thread I've started, so here's to many more!

I've golfed for about 5 1/2 years, and I always struggle with the fact that a smooth, easy swing will probably produce a shot that goes farther than one where I try and swing out of shoes. Even today, I got a new shaft and hit a few, and when I made a nice, easy swing, the ball just flew off the club face. When I tried to crush it, I topped two and sliced one about as far right as it could possibly go. I think part of it is that I'm not a long hitter, and feel like I need to get as much distance as possible, but it usually ends up getting me in trouble...

So I guess my question is, how do you all deal with this? (Or am I the only one  :D ) And how do you force yourself to put a smooth swing on a ball instead of trying to crush it?

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

It sounds like you are more than capable of putting a nice swing on the ball - you just need to remind yourself before each shot to take a smooth swing. 

I usually just remind myself to stay balanced throughout the swing and that allows me to make a nice smooth swing

Not the only one. When I go after a shot it usually is some sort of miss hit. Adam Scott had a good tip that I use. Think of the slowest possible golfer you know tempo wise and take some practice swings at that speed. Breath, let out the tension and make an nice easy pass at the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It's tough. Natural instinct when we get it to the top of our swing makes us want to throw our hips, whip the club, and swing out of our shoes. It's tough. I deal with it too. On the range I just pop drive after drive down the middle nice and smooth and still produce 110 swing speed. Go to the course and all of a sudden try to unleash one (right after my swing thought being nice and smooth) and block it way right and probably only swinging about 100 because I've got so out of sync. If you figure it out let me know

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

It sounds like you are more than capable of putting a nice swing on the ball - you just need to remind yourself before each shot to take a smooth swing.

I usually just remind myself to stay balanced throughout the swing and that allows me to make a nice smooth swing

Balance is big for me. When I try to swing out of my shoes I find my body swaying and usually get stuck on my back leg.

I just had a breakthrough yesterday with this. I guess my swing was pretty quick, even though it didn't feel it. I had someone help me a bit and they slowed me down tremendously. All of my shots have been a lot better since then. It is taking some getting used to, as it feels like I'm barely swinging, but my shots are a lot more consistent.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Not the only one. When I go after a shot it usually is some sort of miss hit. Adam Scott had a good tip that I use. Think of the slowest possible golfer you know tempo wise and take some practice swings at that speed. Breath, let out the tension and make an nice easy pass at the ball.

Good thought. I like that. May have to try that on the range this week.

It's tough. Natural instinct when we get it to the top of our swing makes us want to throw our hips, whip the club, and swing out of our shoes. It's tough. I deal with it too. On the range I just pop drive after drive down the middle nice and smooth and still produce 110 swing speed. Go to the course and all of a sudden try to unleash one (right after my swing thought being nice and smooth) and block it way right and probably only swinging about 100 because I've got so out of sync. If you figure it out let me know

I'll be the first to admit that I'm still working on understanding/getting all the parts working together to produce a good swing, but it's great to know I'm not the only one. 

Don't feel like you are hitting "at" the ball ... feel as though you are hitting "through" the ball. (If that makes sense) Also, right before you take the club away ... exhale and lose the tension in your hands and forearms.

Tension ... the #1 killer of bad shots IMO

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

The never ending chase for a few extra yards ... welcome to golf!  

It sounds like you know it, but you just don't truly believe it yet.  Kind of like how shorter drivers can go farther than longer drivers.  Center of the face with the correct swing path will always go longer than trying to swing 1-2 mph extra and kill it.

This may sound weird at first, but my tip is to play in flip flops.  It sounds weird but a couple seasons ago any time it was over 70 and not wet I played in flip flops.  It really helped me to tone down the tempo.  After doing it for the entire season it became my normal swing rather than something I had to think about all the time.  If your feet are slipping you're swinging too hard.  If it's nice out I still playing in flip flops from time to time.

If nothing else try it at the range and see if it helps keep you from swinging out of your shoes.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The never ending chase for a few extra yards ... welcome to golf!

It sounds like you know it, but you just don't truly believe it yet. Kind of like how shorter drivers can go farther than longer drivers. Center of the face with the correct swing path will always go longer than trying to swing 1-2 mph extra and kill it.

This may sound weird at first, but my tip is to play in flip flops. It sounds weird but a couple seasons ago any time it was over 70 and not wet I played in flip flops. It really helped me to tone down the tempo. After doing it for the entire season it became my normal swing rather than something I had to think about all the time. If your feet are slipping you're swinging too hard. If it's nice out I still playing in flip flops from time to time.

If nothing else try it at the range and see if it helps keep you from swinging out of your shoes.

I do something similar, but at home. Barefoot I will make some swings in the house. Your feet can be an amazing tool to let you know what your doing during your swing, swaying, falling forward or back, etc.

I like to assess how I feel when I warm up before a round if I'm feeling tight I swing within the restrictions. If I can't get a good turn no sense in forcing it.

I like to watch Louie oosthazien- probably butchered his name. Not tall or big and hits his 7i what? 180yds? He really uses his bodies momentum effectively keeps his arms passive.

My biggest problem is grip pressure so that's what I'm most conscious about. When I'm trying to get too aggressive it starts in my hands.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

My best approach to needing to put a little extra on the driver is as follows:

1. Tee the ball higher because I naturally raise up a little more on my toes through impact when generating more club speed.

2. Widen my stance about one foot width. I keep the ball position the same relative to my front foot though.

3. I play a fade because it is easier to play for and control.

4. I hold the grip slightly firmer with my top hand to restrict the head turning over. This also allows for my bottom hand to generate more speed through impact.

5. I'm right handed, so as I setup, I press my right knee in towards the ball. This dramatically restricts my lower body to create more separation with the upper body, causing more coil.

Cheers

Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Great thread, swing tempo is what I am currently working on. What I am trying on the course these days is counting to 3 while I am swinging. 1 -back swing, 2-top of swing, 3-downswing. Has helped keep me from getting out of tempo with the classic "swinging too hard".

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

My best approach to needing to put a little extra on the driver is as follows:

1. Tee the ball higher because I naturally raise up a little more on my toes through impact when generating more club speed.

2. Widen my stance about one foot width. I keep the ball position the same relative to my front foot though.

3. I play a fade because it is easier to play for and control.

4. I hold the grip slightly firmer with my top hand to restrict the head turning over. This also allows for my bottom hand to generate more speed through impact.

5. I'm right handed, so as I setup, I press my right knee in towards the ball. This dramatically restricts my lower body to create more separation with the upper body, causing more coil.

Cheers

Burk

Really like #5. Never thought of that. I struggle with swaying. I'll have to try that out!

Really like #5. Never thought of that. I struggle with swaying. I'll have to try that out!

Yea it works really well. I picked it up a few years back from one of the developers of Opti shot. He said that their studies with tour players shows that the best drivers of the ball do that routinely on harder swings to prevent getting off the ball and being stuck behind it.

Yea it works really well. I picked it up a few years back from one of the developers of Opti shot. He said that their studies with tour players shows that the best drivers of the ball do that routinely on harder swings to prevent getting off the ball and being stuck behind it.

That's pretty cool! I remember reading a "tiger woods tips" awhile back and he stated he did the same.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I can relate. It feels good to crush a shot at the range and have people start watching you swing, but that's all that it really is, a nuked shot that you probably have no idea how far it is going to go or even where. I believe Golf is a game of restraint. My handicap is dropping because I recently started focusing in distance control. Who cares how far you can hit your 7 iron. The number on the club doesn't matter. How hard you swing doesn't matter. Swing easy, club up if needed, and focus on distance and dispersion control.

Figured this would be a good place for people to talk me off the ledge haha. Also, first thread I've started, so here's to many more!

I've golfed for about 5 1/2 years, and I always struggle with the fact that a smooth, easy swing will probably produce a shot that goes farther than one where I try and swing out of shoes. Even today, I got a new shaft and hit a few, and when I made a nice, easy swing, the ball just flew off the club face. When I tried to crush it, I topped two and sliced one about as far right as it could possibly go. I think part of it is that I'm not a long hitter, and feel like I need to get as much distance as possible, but it usually ends up getting me in trouble...

So I guess my question is, how do you all deal with this? (Or am I the only one :D ) And how do you force yourself to put a smooth swing on a ball instead of trying to crush it?

I've fought it years. I'm trying to make a fuller turn with more extension. With no turn and short back swing, I feel the need to generate clubhead speed with a hard, fast turn. Way too much wear and tear on back, hips, and Trail shoulder and elbow. I like the reference to Adam Scott's approach. Allison Lee said basically the same. Harvey Pennick told me I'd played too much baseball. "You don't have to hurry, it's not going to go by you."

My golf game isn't exactly one to mimic. After that let me tell you what I do.

I am a grip and rip kind of player. But I practice the same way I play. I was told when I first started I needed to slow down.but 10 years later I'm a decent player. Do what feels comfortable on the course and practice that way

So I guess my question is, how do you all deal with this? (Or am I the only one  :D ) And how do you force yourself to put a smooth swing on a ball instead of trying to crush it?

I use this drill which really helps smooth out transition and not lunge or hit from the top: https://media.giphy.com/media/4t7DXPxB1fTH2/giphy.gifI shortened the ball retriever for the purpose of demonstration. Any sort of rod or pole 10-12 feet you can grip like a club works.

• 5 weeks later...

Barefoot I will make some swings in the house. Your feet can be an amazing tool to let you know what your doing during your swing, swaying, falling forward or back, etc.

1. Swinging out of your shoes?  Take them off! :D

Seriously, though, this was something that Sam Snead recommended, and it helped me with stability, tempo, and transition.

2. Another possibility; you're swinging fine.  This happened to me.  I'd feel like everything was coming together when I would really go after the ball, but I'd sky it, I'd have a massive slice, etc.  I had to slow down to get everything to match up correctly.

Then I went and got fitted.  I had a stiff flex stock shaft, but my swing speed was about 115 when I was trying to moderate my tempo. After the fitters got done laughing (jk, but we did have a lot of fun), they put in with a much stiffer, heavier shaft.  My drives straightened out almost immediately, and the feel is wonderful.

If you have a trackman or gc2 at one of the ranges/courses that you frequent, see if your equipment matches your swing.

(Ugh... just realized all my posts sound the same... go get fitted, go get fitted... Seems to be my stupid answer to everything :( )

Anyway, best of luck.  Definitely give a shoe-less swing a try and see how it feels.  BTW, don't use driver until you feel like you've adjusted your swing (small drop in your height).  Coming in fat with a driver can hurt you and your club.

Cheers!

:cobra-small: LTD 9° Fujikura Pro XLR8 71 XS
:callaway-small: XR 3 Wood
:mizuno-small: MP-18 SC PW-3
:callaway-small: MD3 50°
:mizuno-small: T7 56°, 60°

:Snell: MTB-X

:Arccos: 

Great topic and one I can really relate to.

For me, tempo reinforcing swing thoughts have not been sufficient to get me to repeat a balanced, relaxed swing, but lately I've made a lot of progress and I give much of the credit to my purchase of the orange whip a few weeks ago. If you don't have one, go check it out. It has really helped with muscle memory - I am much less likely to spasm out and swing like the Hulk. My last three rounds were within one stroke of each other, and will each count to my HC. I can't recommend it enough.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

It's going to sound crazy but it works every single time I share it with someone. And if it provides additional credibility, I also employ this tactic. Ready for this? Spread your toes and press them into the soles of your shoes. That's is all. Hope you enjoy your new easy tempo!

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

It's going to sound crazy but it works every single time I share it with someone. And if it provides additional credibility, I also employ this tactic. Ready for this? Spread your toes and press them into the soles of your shoes. That's is all. Hope you enjoy your new easy tempo!

Gonna have to try that one!

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

From Jack Nicklaus' book, Golf My Way:

"Feel" the clubhead for improved rhythm-

Feeling the weight of the clubhead against the tension of the shaft helps me to swing rhythmically.

As the backswing progresses I like to feel the clubhead's weight "pulling" my arms back and up. Starting down, I like to feel the weight of the clubhead lagging behind - resisting - as the thrusting of my legs and hips pull my arms and hands down.

When I can "wait" for these feels, I am almost certainly swinging in proper tempo. I am giving myself enough elapsed time to make all the various moves in rhythmical sequence.

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

Great topic and one I can really relate to.

For me, tempo reinforcing swing thoughts have not been sufficient to get me to repeat a balanced, relaxed swing, but lately I've made a lot of progress and I give much of the credit to my purchase of the orange whip a few weeks ago. If you don't have one, go check it out. It has really helped with muscle memory - I am much less likely to spasm out and swing like the Hulk. My last three rounds were within one stroke of each other, and will each count to my HC. I can't recommend it enough.

I have an orange whip. Need to break it out more in the evenings once the kids go to bed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

From Jack Nicklaus' book, Golf My Way:

"Feel" the clubhead for improved rhythm-

Feeling the weight of the clubhead against the tension of the shaft helps me to swing rhythmically.

As the backswing progresses I like to feel the clubhead's weight "pulling" my arms back and up. Starting down, I like to feel the weight of the clubhead lagging behind - resisting - as the thrusting of my legs and hips pull my arms and hands down.

When I can "wait" for these feels, I am almost certainly swinging in proper tempo. I am giving myself enough elapsed time to make all the various moves in rhythmical sequence.

I really think that this is what the orange whip installs in the swing. To get it moving smoothly, you have to be mindful of the heavy ball bending the shaft...

Remember that just because you swing faster, doesn't mean the ball is going faster. The guy that swings at 110 and centers everything up with a smash of 1.5 will outdrive a guy all day that swings 115 and misses the center of the face. You're not getting a good smash factor if you're missing the sweet spot.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Yes. Oddly enough MANY have found that putting more weight on your heels really helps but this is not conventional wisdom, which is why it may and does 'sound crazy'.

One of those gems and thanks for reminding me.

Archived