Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

15-year-old irons / advice on a new set

Hello MGS members,

I've been playing the same set of irons for the past 15 years or so (Tommy Armour 845 EVO V-31 reduced offset).

I still really love the feel and I'm comfortable with them, but I also realize that I'm probably missing out on some added distance and forgiveness that come with today's irons.

Any advice on which new iron sets might closely match my Tommy Armours by way of feel, swingweight, sole width, looks, etc.?

Thanks very much. It's a big decision!

Pretty popular set from years ago. Not really sure what might have a similar feel in a current set. What I will say, though, is go swing and hit EVERYTHING you can. A new set is a big investment. Make sure you get what you want/need. Find a good fitter and get fit. Club heads mated with different shafts can make major differences. Whittle your choices down to a few that you really think you like. Hit them without paying attention to what club you're hitting. You don't need to find the club, the club will find you. Then zero in on the proper shafts and grips and fit, and you'll be a happy pair for another several years.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I'm going to say go get fit. That is the only way to make sure you are playing the right set for you. Hopefully you have a good fitter near you who can guide you

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Irons have changed a ton in the last 15 years, especially cavity backs.

If you are looking for something with forgiveness, but little offset, something like the Srixon 545 irons get be found rather cheap on ebay, or go with the newer version (565).

Callaway Apex and Apex CF 16 would be other great options.

Thanks very much for the quick replies and good advice so far!

I think it's going to be fun testing out different iron sets and finding the right match, even if it takes a while. I'm certainly willing to put in the time and research.

Definitely don't rush it. Irons are your most expensive club purchase so find something you love!

Archived