Big McLargehuge

15-year-old irons / advice on a new set

Hello MGS members,

I've been playing the same set of irons for the past 15 years or so (Tommy Armour 845 EVO V-31 reduced offset).

I still really love the feel and I'm comfortable with them, but I also realize that I'm probably missing out on some added distance and forgiveness that come with today's irons.

Any advice on which new iron sets might closely match my Tommy Armours by way of feel, swingweight, sole width, looks, etc.?

Thanks very much. It's a big decision!

• Like 2

Pretty popular set from years ago. Not really sure what might have a similar feel in a current set. What I will say, though, is go swing and hit EVERYTHING you can. A new set is a big investment. Make sure you get what you want/need. Find a good fitter and get fit. Club heads mated with different shafts can make major differences. Whittle your choices down to a few that you really think you like. Hit them without paying attention to what club you're hitting. You don't need to find the club, the club will find you. Then zero in on the proper shafts and grips and fit, and you'll be a happy pair for another several years.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I'm going to say go get fit. That is the only way to make sure you are playing the right set for you. Hopefully you have a good fitter near you who can guide you

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Irons have changed a ton in the last 15 years, especially cavity backs.

If you are looking for something with forgiveness, but little offset, something like the Srixon 545 irons get be found rather cheap on ebay, or go with the newer version (565).

Callaway Apex and Apex CF 16 would be other great options.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the quick replies and good advice so far!

I think it's going to be fun testing out different iron sets and finding the right match, even if it takes a while. I'm certainly willing to put in the time and research.

Thanks very much for the quick replies and good advice so far!

I think it's going to be fun testing out different iron sets and finding the right match, even if it takes a while. I'm certainly willing to put in the time and research.

Definitely don't rush it. Irons are your most expensive club purchase so find something you love!
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    msmith

• By GregB135
      Spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the Tampa Bay Golffest event. A really nice though not especially large demo day event hosted by Tampa Bay Downs. Had a chance to hit some of the new offerings out there in the marketplace and some potential GolfSpy test candidates. 
      Hit several drivers. The new Mizuno ST, Ping G410, Wilson Cortex, and Cobra F9 Speedback. Keeping in mind it wasn't full fitting for each, but the reps did ask enough questions to get you close enough spec wise so you were hitting something close to your current gamer. Of the 4, my least favorite was the Mizuno, it just didn't have the same feel as the others. The Ping G410 just felt AWESOME. The Cobra felt good, like the ball was exploding off the face, but the ball flight was a little higher than my preference, and the ball was airborne for.....ever. The Cortex was a surprise. Felt good and solid, sound and ball flight were right there with all the others. I hit a smattering of irons, but wasn't focused enough on those to include data. The latest of the Mizuno JPX forged though was a very solid feeling club. In any case, I didn't put anything back on the rack thinking "boy that sucked" so be encouraged GolfSpy universe, there is some really good equipment coming out this year.
      Also spied some of the new Bridgestone e12 golf balls in the sale tent. I'm sure we are all waiting for the revelation of those testers (my fingers are crossed).
      Last, I got some Trackman style feedback on the effectiveness of the SuperSpeed training system (about to start week 9 for me). Participating in the skills contests, included 4 Trackman assessed shots with driver. With a mis-fit glove, no warm-up, no golf shoes, and a random selection of not my drivers to choose from, I got all 4 swings onto the grid with 3 going past 270 at 100mph. About a 15-20 yard gain from last season!! Still waiting on the promised email with the Trackman video/data and pro comparison.
      A pretty cool afternoon.

• By WhiskeyBanjo
      Just trying to get back into the game.   Been away for a few years.    Hope for good convo and tips.

Thanks guys,
      WB
    • By Nttom
      For sale is a new in the box "The Palmer Original Putter" which includes the putter which is signed on the grip, the head cover, and the box which are original and in perfect shape. This is the absolute perfect item to be displayed in any man cave. I am asking $1000 OBO. For inquiries please message me on this platform or email me at - nt.dinaso@yahoo.com.
      Photos (click here)      
      Photos Backup - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jy01iIRyMcLJ1mc4HaUhQOp4JBEZO9xy
    • By mbolegs
      New again.  Read articles previously.  Play less than 10 rounds/year.  Playing 38 yrs, since 5 yr old.  no membership.  great mechanics.  great mobility.  family & money limit rounds.  Par4Success training facility has helped me maximize my mobility.  Range practice exposed strong feedback of driver shaft mismatch for my improved mobility & muscle engagement.  Had 2008 TaylorMade Tour Preferred s300.  Mismatch was felt on Driver Titleist 913D2 factory stiff.  Avg speed documented jump by 6 mph 2 months fitness work. 108 to 114.  7i SS 92mph during testing.  Golf Etc fitter is bringing down launch angle, maximizing my feel.  This is my first factory purchase with fitting.  All else expect very first set have either been hand-downs or used set from golf store.  So in love with the game!  Finally committing myself to a game I intend to play as long as I live.
      Where can I find repeatable comparisons of SST Pureing vs non-Pured shafts? 
    • By kingcscott
      I recently swapped my Project X 6.5’s for a set of 5.5’s. I did keep the 7i shaft as it had been repaired after bending it around a tree. Its new home is in an old Wilson 2i. I digress, I want to sell these shafts. I have 4,5,6,8,9,PW with grips, Lamkin 3 gen ACE that have been played but are in good shape. The shafts have ferrules but I recommend dressing them up with new ferrules if you have the opportunity. Here’s some pics. I’ll start at $100 shipped within the lower 48.
      Thanks for looking. I’ll be playing at Sweetens this weekend so I may be out of touch. I’ll check in when I can to answer questions.
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!