Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Slow play

eproos44

I live in Los Angeles, and golf is notoriously slow at the public courses. I am talking about 5-6 hour rounds. I have a hard time playing my best during the duration.

I was wondering what some of you do to not only survive the long rounds, but still play well?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Whoah, 5-6 hours? Walked the other day in 3.5, walked with my buddy Sunday in 4. If I'm at the course 6 hours, I better have played 36

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Play that slow is almost tournament slow. In those events I try to prepare myself for the long round. Keep lots of snacks around and drinks. Keep loose and enjoy the conversation with everyone in the group. Golf is enjoyable at this pace if you are with good people and can relax.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

We have slow play problem at some of our courses here in Van as well. One of the things that I find is that if you aren't careful the frustration of waiting can sometimes impact your game. I just try to not focus on the group in front of me who has one guy who takes no less than 5 practice swings followed by some waggles on EVERY shot or the guy who waits for the green to clear on a par 5 only to top his 3 wood or the guy plumb bobbing his read clearly without knowing what he's doing. If I have a good group with me and keep it light without focusing on the negatives, I can still play well. I also try and keep in mind that as frustrating as it is, I am still playing golf and there's another guy out there who isn't and wishes he was...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If it's common to be playing 5-6 hr rounds it takes the fun away. Personally, I wouldnt be able to play very much if that was the only option. I'm ok with slow tournament rounds but a practice round at that pace is insane.

I think I'm in the vast minority that doesn't care about pace of play. The way I've always looked at it is, if I'm paying for a round of golf I want my money's worth. Yes, 6-hours is pushing it but I'm fine with 5 or 5 1/4.

Now before you all crucify me lol, I'm fine with fast too. I feel like good players who follow ready golf make the pace fine. I think the most important thing is for the whole group to slow down their pace. I can handle really slow, but hit-and-wait is brutal.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

That's pretty ridiculous.

I find if I'm waiting around constantly I just start playing little games. On the tee box I'll play bells, and when I'm between tee and green I'll do stuff like walk to the other side of the fairway and chip some balls close to my bag.

Not sure if it helps me play well, but keeps me from thinking about the slow players in front of me

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That is the reason I play Bethpage maybe twice a year and not just talking about the Black.  Played last year on the Red in a cart in just over 6 hours.  Had a 2:30 PM tee time and played 18 in the dark.  The Black is a minimum of 6 hours with no carts....golf equivalent of being waterboarded.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Slow play is definitely an issue, but I'm finding it harder these days with overly fast play.

It seems like every other time I play now I'm in the same situation.

Course is mostly full and my group is keeping up with the group ahead of us. Rarely are we waiting to hit, but 90% of the time when we get up to the next shot the group ahead is just getting out of the way and not more than 1/2 a hole ahead at any time.

What ends up happening however is that the group behind us is constantly hitting into us or making their displeasure with the pace of play known. It really pisses me off when someone behind us is throwing a tantrum when they have 3 people in their group or are picking up 10 footers every hole.

Like it's our fault that the course is full on a weekend during prime time for play.

Most of the time the marshal's don't say a word because we are + or - 5 min on the pace.

Once in a while though we get told to pick it up because someone back behind is whining.

I went back and looked at my golf app after last weekend to see what the pace of play was like for my rounds over the past few months.

The longest 18 we played was 4 hours and 25 minutes from the time I entered my first stroke in my app until the time I hit finish round.

The vast majority were in the 4 hour and 10 minute range which is right around the posted pace for the courses I play.

Yet very rarely do I not feel rushed on these same courses.

I am out there to enjoy myself and if I'm on the pace then leave me alone. It's not like we are going to get done any faster if you keep hitting into my group, you're just ruining my round.

I could see an issue if we were a hole behind or 15 min behind pace, but otherwise sit back and relax and enjoy the day because that's what I'm going to be doing.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Geeeez, And here I thought 4.5 hours was slow...where are the rangers when need them, mines picking up rubbish and balls...totally worthless. Well, this seems like the norm where you are at, then this is problem your county should handle, I'd voice my opinions to them and find out why, are they over crowding the course and letting too many groups go out one right after the other and not spreading them properly to allow groups in front enough time. 6 hours is really too long...imho.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

6 hours would be an eternity at my home course on the weekends.  During off hours, that might be a typical practice session when no one else is playing.  When we catch up to the slower groups, we will play an extra ball or get some extra short game practice in--unless groups begin to queue behind us. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

5 - 6 hours!! ... somebody isn't doing their job at those courses ... cough cough ... Marshalls!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I'd be goosing somebody with a cattle prod at the 4:30 mark

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

If I'm at the course 6 hours, I better have played 36

If I'm at the course 6 hours, I need a designated driver.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I stay away from courses or try to play through. If it's that slow, I'm not happy and nothing will change that.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Hard to stay in the rhythm of the game waiting around for each shot. I'm not the fastest player out there but 5-6 hours is rough.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

On very nice summer weekend days at my course, rounds can take up to 5 hours.  I'm not happy and my game deteriorates.  I have walked off the course after nine holes at the 3 hour mark.

I typically play in a group around 4-4.5 hours.  It's one of the disadvantages of playing at a muni. Sometimes it's the people, but many times it's how the course is set up.  Don't always blame the golfers.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There are different types of slow players in front of our group. The usual that I've encountered here in socal is the high handicappers that play from the back tees and couldn't get it pass 180yds on their drives, or sprayers who have to look for their ball on every holes.

That said I've just encountered the new one, high school and college players on a public course. Their Pre-pre shot routine are pretty bad as they practice their option at least a few times before they start the pre-shot routine.

Archived