TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fairway wood help

Looking for some advice about fairway woods. I've always struggled to elevate any fairways from the deck. I'm working on a couple swing changes to hopefully help with that, but was wondering if you guys have any help for me in looking at some clubs/shafts to make it a little easier on me.

I'm mostly looking at a weak three/four wood in the 16.5* range. My short list: XR/XR16, a few different exotics XCG7/E8/EX9 and a few cobras fly-z/F6 baffler (I've read some good things even though it's not a true fairway).

I'd appreciate any input out there. Thanks everyone!

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I may, I tested the Mizuno JPX EZ fairway Wood last year, its adjustable to that loft I'm currently 15U, I'm consistent with it at 200 yards off the deck. I'm not the longest hitter, but Mizzy is straight as an arrow

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

If you want to save some dough, X2 Hot and JetSpeed are also very good.

3W used to be a club I never used, now it's my go to club when my driver is not behaving.

And the 5W JetSpeed just replaced my Adams Super LS 19* hybrid.

But the best way to learn it is to take a lesson or two.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

the Fly z+ are really nice and you can get them brand new from Hurricane Golf for $79.99. Really solid!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

If you want to save some dough, X2 Hot and JetSpeed are also very good.

3W used to be a club I never used, now it's my go to club when my driver is not behaving.

And the 5W JetSpeed just replaced my Adams Super LS 19* hybrid.

But the best way to learn it is to take a lesson or two.

I agree with the lessons, however I live in what I call a golf desert. It's a little over 100 miles from me to anybody that gives lessons, and even that is pretty limited on teachers.

WITB

If I may, I tested the Mizuno JPX EZ fairway Wood last year, its adjustable to that loft I'm currently 15U, I'm consistent with it at 200 yards off the deck. I'm not the longest hitter, but Mizzy is straight as an arrow

If I'm reading the mizuno website correctly the fairways adjust up and down 2 degrees correct?

WITB

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hopefully there will be some more people chime in. I should probably add I've also looked at the ping g25 4 wood.

WITB

Looking for some advice about fairway woods. I've always struggled to elevate any fairways from the deck. I'm working on a couple swing changes to hopefully help with that, but was wondering if you guys have any help for me in looking at some clubs/shafts to make it a little easier on me.

I'm mostly looking at a weak three/four wood in the 16.5* range. My short list: XR/XR16, a few different exotics XCG7/E8/EX9 and a few cobras fly-z/F6 baffler (I've read some good things even though it's not a true fairway).

1. I wouldn't recommend changing your swing to hit the ball higher. It could cause a multitude a problems down the road.

2. Let the loft of the club work for you.

3. Work on your ball position. Personally if I need to get a little height on my shot, I move the ball father forward in my stance.

I completely agree with you Josmi - Mizuno make some damn good fairway woods (and drivers), and the EZ series is no exception. I'd also throw in the Epic and Titliest 917 (they have a 16.5 degree option) as other possibilities.

However, as with any other club in your bag, do some testing with each of the clubs that have been suggested in this thread. Let us know how it turns out.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

If I'm reading the mizuno website correctly the fairways adjust up and down 2 degrees correct?

I believe so, I've moved it around during the time I demo'd it. I've had it on 15U for a year! She's dialed in

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

TEE is my vote, look for a shaft with a low kick or low bend point low bend/kick point shafts launch the ball higher. I would look at the XCG 5, and XCG 6 as well I like both of those better than the 7,8,9. That's my suggestions. Give this some time, others will chime in.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Move the ball forward. Hitting down on the ball will make it go up so may want to focus on hitting down and through it some, almost taking a small divot. . If trying to lift it, you won't lift it. When I need to hit one high I like to take the club outside more like I'm hitting a cut

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

All good advice one other is consider a shorter shaft.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I struggle as well.  What are you trying to accomplish with the 3/4 wood?  Advance it down the fairway on par 5's and long par 4's?  Or are you wanting it to fly to a green?  I gave up on landing on the green many years ago, except for long par 3's.  

Certainly, the correct shaft for your swing speed will help.  You might even want to consider an 18* 5W.  The extra 1.5* is much easier to hit off the fairway, and the slight loss in total distance is more than made up by better consistent ball flight.  I'm still looking for my magic wand, but I have to say that the new Wilson D300 is in the front of the pack right now.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Can't beat the Pings. One of the easiest clubs to hit and get up in the air. Mizuno fairway Woods have gotten a lot of attention lately as well.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I agree with the lessons, however I live in what I call a golf desert. It's a little over 100 miles from me to anybody that gives lessons, and even that is pretty limited on teachers.

Where do you usually play? Doesn't the golf course have their own pro?

As some sort of last resort and if you really MUST teach yourself... I really like http://meandmygolf.com/

Their tips are easy to understand and they have fixed a lot of my issues. You can pay for the membership with more access or get the free youtube videos.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

1. I wouldn't recommend changing your swing to hit the ball higher. It could cause a multitude a problems down the road.

2. Let the loft of the club work for you.

3. Work on your ball position. Personally if I need to get a little height on my shot, I move the ball father forward in my stance.

Sorry, I should have specified a little more. The swing changes I'm trying to make aren't meant to elevate the ball. I'm looking to become more consistent and eliminate a two way miss. I have a tendency to get very flat and quick in my backswing which leads to an OTT move getting me really steep into the ball and very out-to-in. Just trying to eliminate this and my thinking is it will lead to better strikes.

I completely agree with you Josmi - Mizuno make some damn good fairway woods (and drivers), and the EZ series is no exception. I'd also throw in the Epic and Titliest 917 (they have a 16.5 degree option) as other possibilities.

However, as with any other club in your bag, do some testing with each of the clubs that have been suggested in this thread. Let us know how it turns out.

Those two are a little out of my price range right now. I'd love to get my hands on all the clubs I'm interested in, but that'd be about a 5 hour drive at the minimum to find any decent selection. It's absolutely awful!

I believe so, I've moved it around during the time I demo'd it. I've had it on 15U for a year! She's dialed in

Thank you! Hopefully I'll find that in whatever I choose.

TEE is my vote, look for a shaft with a low kick or low bend point low bend/kick point shafts launch the ball higher. I would look at the XCG 5, and XCG 6 as well I like both of those better than the 7,8,9. That's my suggestions. Give this some time, others will chime in.

I've read good things about the TEE tech. Any personal experience?

Move the ball forward. Hitting down on the ball will make it go up so may want to focus on hitting down and through it some, almost taking a small divot. . If trying to lift it, you won't lift it. When I need to hit one high I like to take the club outside more like I'm hitting a cut

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Also something I was thinking about doing. Probably playing a half or an inch shorter. Really enjoyed your Evnroll write up, sir!

I struggle as well. What are you trying to accomplish with the 3/4 wood? Advance it down the fairway on par 5's and long par 4's? Or are you wanting it to fly to a green? I gave up on landing on the green many years ago, except for long par 3's.

Certainly, the correct shaft for your swing speed will help. You might even want to consider an 18* 5W. The extra 1.5* is much easier to hit off the fairway, and the slight loss in total distance is more than made up by better consistent ball flight. I'm still looking for my magic wand, but I have to say that the new Wilson D300 is in the front of the pack right now.

It will mostly be a club I'm using to try to reach par 5s in two. I have a couple at my home course that are within range. Might see some use as a fairway finder off the tee box in dangerous situations, but that would be less often.

Can't beat the Pings. One of the easiest clubs to hit and get up in the air. Mizuno fairway Woods have gotten a lot of attention lately as well.

MDGolfHacker

Everyone seems to love the Pings, my old man has a few that I've never really gotten along with though which makes me hesitant.

WITB

Were they earlier model Pings? Depending on your swing, it could of been the shafts that you may not have liked. Just wondering. Go with what you'll be happy with. There are a lot of fairway Wood models from last year that will still fit the bill. Wilson and Cobra also have fairly easy to hit fairway woods.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Most places where you can test stuff will have the current offerings and maybe a used bin... I'm not sure if that's worth a 5 hour drive.

So you probably have to go the online route... if you are short on cash, eBay or budgetgolf are good alternatives.

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-X2-Hot-17-4-Wood-Tour-Blue-Stiff-Flex-Graphite-Shaft-/142362115293?hash=item2125717cdd:g:QGMAAOSwVm5Y~8dt

This one even has the Tour Blue who creates the higher launch you are seeking.

Or a 3HL JetSpeed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Taylor-Made-JetSpeed-17-HL-3-Wood-Matrix-69G-Stiff-/171812945624?hash=item2800d97ed8:g:X8sAAOSwys5WVy7b

I struggle as well.  What are you trying to accomplish with the 3/4 wood?  Advance it down the fairway on par 5's and long par 4's?  Or are you wanting it to fly to a green?  I gave up on landing on the green many years ago, except for long par 3's.  

Certainly, the correct shaft for your swing speed will help.  You might even want to consider an 18* 5W.  The extra 1.5* is much easier to hit off the fairway, and the slight loss in total distance is more than made up by better consistent ball flight.  I'm still looking for my magic wand, but I have to say that the new Wilson D300 is in the front of the pack right now.

This is what worked for me during a recent fitting for a 5w. I was having issues hitting it a bit chunky, so the fitter put a 7w (42") shaft in it and that was the magic bullet. Every shot after that was dead solid contact, and high and straight.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'll second the Mizuno JPX-EZ as well. I couldn't hit a fairway wood to save my life and I was selected to test the Mizuno. That thing is my money club now, whether from the tee or off the deck, I can just flat out hit it.

I liked the 3 so much I got a 5 on Ebay in February for $150 brand new.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'll just throw this in there...  when you find one that works for you - keep it... I find that fairway woods are the most "tempermental" clubs and the newer tech doesn't always make that much of a difference with these clubs.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I'll just throw this in there...  when you find one that works for you - keep it... I find that fairway woods are the most "tempermental" clubs and the newer tech doesn't always make that much of a difference with these clubs.

Boy...truer words never spoken.  That was the case with my Optiforce 5w, so of course I got rid of it...LOL

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have XCG 5, and XCG 6 in 3 wood, I also have XCG 5 in 5wood, I have 3h and 4h. The only one have trouble with is the 4h. I have used the XCG5,6 three wood for about 4-5 years I wouldn't trade those for any other wood. By far the best I have ever played. You can pick up an xcg5 or xcg 6 pretty cheap nowadays. eBay has some xcg5's for 39.99, it's about 65 bucks for the xcg6's on eBay. Can't go wrong with either of those for the price

Were they earlier model Pings? Depending on your swing, it could of been the shafts that you may not have liked. Just wondering. Go with what you'll be happy with. There are a lot of fairway Wood models from last year that will still fit the bill. Wilson and Cobra also have fairly easy to hit fairway woods.

MDGolfHacker

If I remember correctly I think it was a g20, but I wouldn't swear to it. He also has a g30 driver now and not a fan of that either. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison. Just the closest I've got.

Most places where you can test stuff will have the current offerings and maybe a used bin... I'm not sure if that's worth a 5 hour drive.

So you probably have to go the online route... if you are short on cash, eBay or budgetgolf are good alternatives.

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-X2-Hot-17-4-Wood-Tour-Blue-Stiff-Flex-Graphite-Shaft-/142362115293?hash=item2125717cdd:g:QGMAAOSwVm5Y~8dt

This one even has the Tour Blue who creates the higher launch you are seeking.

Or a 3HL JetSpeed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Taylor-Made-JetSpeed-17-HL-3-Wood-Matrix-69G-Stiff-/171812945624?hash=item2800d97ed8:g:X8sAAOSwys5WVy7b

Thank you! I actually have the x2 saved in my watch list already, strange.

This is what worked for me during a recent fitting for a 5w. I was having issues hitting it a bit chunky, so the fitter put a 7w (42") shaft in it and that was the magic bullet. Every shot after that was dead solid contact, and high and straight.

I'm sure I'm going to end up cutting it down an inch or so. Hopefully it works as good for me!

I'll second the Mizuno JPX-EZ as well. I couldn't hit a fairway wood to save my life and I was selected to test the Mizuno. That thing is my money club now, whether from the tee or off the deck, I can just flat out hit it.

I liked the 3 so much I got a 5 on Ebay in February for $150 brand new.

I'm going to have to dig a little more into Mizzys apparently.

I'll just throw this in there... when you find one that works for you - keep it... I find that fairway woods are the most "tempermental" clubs and the newer tech doesn't always make that much of a difference with these clubs.

I've went through 4 in the last four years. When I find the one it's staying until the face caves in.

I have XCG 5, and XCG 6 in 3 wood, I also have XCG 5 in 5wood, I have 3h and 4h. The only one have trouble with is the 4h. I have used the XCG5,6 three wood for about 4-5 years I wouldn't trade those for any other wood. By far the best I have ever played. You can pick up an xcg5 or xcg 6 pretty cheap nowadays. eBay has some xcg5's for 39.99, it's about 65 bucks for the xcg6's on eBay. Can't go wrong with either of those for the price

Any major differences between the two?

What KennyB said. My setup is dr & 5w

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I hadn't thought about that. I'll see what I can dig up. Thanks!

May be an option to go with a 17* Hybrid and a strong lofted 3-wood (13*) for tight tee shots

I'd thought about this, but it would put a huge gap between my 4 iron and hybrid. I'm usually pretty confident with a driver as well so I think it would almost be a waste of a club in my bag for a strong three.

Boy...truer words never spoken. That was the case with my Optiforce 5w, so of course I got rid of it...LOL

Lesson learned!

WITB

There really isn't any major differences between the xcg5, and XCG6, I think the face color is a bit different on the 6. Both of them have extremely hot faces, the ball jumps off both. For 39.99 for the xcg5 you will not find better. Even 65 for the XCG6 is an excellent deal when you consider the new price for any TEE fairway is 249.99.

As others said, if at all possible try to demo / test a club first .. beg, borrow or steal one ;-)

Make sure it does the job you're looking for it to do; ie. you initially said you want to hit off the fairway and get it airborne more easily.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived