Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Fairway wood help

ame="kyledanford" post="275862" timestamp="1493167773"]

Sorry, I should have specified a little more. The swing changes I'm trying to make aren't meant to elevate the ball. I'm looking to become more consistent and eliminate a two way miss. I have a tendency to get very flat and quick in my backswing which leads to an OTT move getting me really steep into the ball and very out-to-in. Just trying to eliminate this and my thinking is it will lead to better strikes.

Those two are a little out of my price range right now. I'd love to get my hands on all the clubs I'm interested in, but that'd be about a 5 hour drive at the minimum to find any decent selection. It's absolutely awful!

Thank you! Hopefully I'll find that in whatever I choose.

I've read good things about the TEE tech. Any personal experience?

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Also something I was thinking about doing. Probably playing a half or an inch shorter. Really enjoyed your Evnroll write up, sir!

It will mostly be a club I'm using to try to reach par 5s in two. I have a couple at my home course that are within range. Might see some use as a fairway finder off the tee box in dangerous situations, but that would be less often.

Everyone seems to love the Pings, my old man has a few that I've never really gotten along with though which makes me hesitant.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

With fairway metals you really can't beat cobra baffler. The face is a little thinner so you hit the sweet spot which is always above the "equator" line. The bottom of the face is almost rounded into the baffler rails. And those rails are amazing taking a divot is not a worry. The club bounces back off of the turf with minimal lose of speed. I got everything every year at an amazing store and demo days. I always end up with cobra the new one has lift adjustments and movable weights and costs less than other to manufacturer's. The mishits with them are predictable and less penalizing than most (the exception is bottom groove expect a loss of distance.) Toe hits are long pulls. Heel is pushed but no significant distance loss. Make you start to understand different strike locations with ease.

Callaway big bertha adilia rogue stiff with 1" tip

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

m2 3 hybrid adilia rogue stiff with half inch tip

Ping ie1 true temper xp 105 s300

mack daddy 2 56 and 60 wedges

stx putter

left handed

Handicap: my swing.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really isn't any major differences between the xcg5, and XCG6, I think the face color is a bit different on the 6. Both of them have extremely hot faces, the ball jumps off both. For 39.99 for the xcg5 you will not find better. Even 65 for the XCG6 is an excellent deal when you consider the new price for any TEE fairway is 249.99.

Do you have any experience with the E8? I found one on ebay with a kurokage blue shaft for $75.

I thinking a 4w or 5w that can be adjusted from 17~19* would be the ticket

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Any recommendations?

As others said, if at all possible try to demo / test a club first .. beg, borrow or steal one ;-)

Make sure it does the job you're looking for it to do; ie. you initially said you want to hit off the fairway and get it airborne more easily.

I'd love to, but it's not really an option for me where I live.

With fairway metals you really can't beat cobra baffler. The face is a little thinner so you hit the sweet spot which is always above the "equator" line. The bottom of the face is almost rounded into the baffler rails. And those rails are amazing taking a divot is not a worry. The club bounces back off of the turf with minimal lose of speed. I got everything every year at an amazing store and demo days. I always end up with cobra the new one has lift adjustments and movable weights and costs less than other to manufacturer's. The mishits with them are predictable and less penalizing than most (the exception is bottom groove expect a loss of distance.) Toe hits are long pulls. Heel is pushed but no significant distance loss. Make you start to understand different strike locations with ease.

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

Do you have any experience with the F6 baffler? I see your signature has the F7. I'd like to give one of the F7s a shot just a little out of my price range right now.

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

Do you have any experience with the E8? I found one on ebay with a kurokage blue shaft for $75.

Any recommendations?

I'd love to, but it's not really an option for me where I live.

Do you have any experience with the F6 baffler? I see your signature has the F7. I'd like to give one of the F7s a shot just a little out of my price range right now.

F6 goes just as far the f7 is a little better on off center hits but not by much. Biggest difference is the adjustabilty

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

F6 goes just as far the f7 is a little better on off center hits but not by much. Biggest difference is the adjustabilty

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

Thanks, sir!

WITB

Thanks, sir!

Anytime!

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

No experience with the 8. E8, I like the look of the xcg5,6 so I never looked at anything later. I can get what I need for 35-40 bucks so I figure Why change.

Dang. Well thanks for all your help anyway!

WITB

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I have the 2014 big Bertha 3w with red tie shaft and it is easy to elevate. I couldn't hit a 3w to save my life until this club. It can probably be found on the cheap now. I have my lofted up a degree too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

Dang. Well thanks for all your help anyway!

I have the E8 Tour and love it. I did hit the E8 Beta and that thing is a rocket launcher! Can't go wrong

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Thanks everyone! Gonna look around a little and hopefully find something soon.

WITB

Thanks everyone! Gonna look around a little and hopefully find something soon.

Let us know!!!

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

Looking for some advice about fairway woods. I've always struggled to elevate any fairways from the deck. I'm working on a couple swing changes to hopefully help with that, but was wondering if you guys have any help for me in looking at some clubs/shafts to make it a little easier on me.

I'm mostly looking at a weak three/four wood in the 16.5* range. My short list: XR/XR16, a few different exotics XCG7/E8/EX9 and a few cobras fly-z/F6 baffler (I've read some good things even though it's not a true fairway).

I'd appreciate any input out there. Thanks everyone!

You can't go wrong with Cobra. You can get a 5 wood that cranks down to 17*. The shaft is a bit smaller than the 3 wood and I have found it way easier to hit consistently. Hope that helps!

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I struggled with numerous 3 woods over the last 7 years.  In fact the last 3 wood I had confidence in was the Bertha warbird.  After Adams came out with the Tight Lies it seemed as though everyone followed suit with a shallow face.  Sure it made sense, but never appealed to my eye.  That is until I picked up a TMAG mini driver in 16*.  Yes it's a big honkin thing, but for whatever reason I'm automatic with it.  Put a good move on the ball, and she'll go.   It definitely gets up in the air.  Mine has the Matrix white tie (high launch), and I picked it up on ebay new for under a bill.  Best buy in my bag. 

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I struggled with numerous 3 woods over the last 7 years. In fact the last 3 wood I had confidence in was the Bertha warbird. After Adams came out with the Tight Lies it seemed as though everyone followed suit with a shallow face. Sure it made sense, but never appealed to my eye. That is until I picked up a TMAG mini driver in 16*. Yes it's a big honkin thing, but for whatever reason I'm automatic with it. Put a good move on the ball, and she'll go. It definitely gets up in the air. Mine has the Matrix white tie (high launch), and I picked it up on ebay new for under a bill. Best buy in my bag.

Tried the AeroBurner 14°, didn't work as well for me... :(

Now have a Cally Mini 1.5 which I am liking :)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

I'm playing the F6 fairway wood and no BS, it's the easiest fairway wood I've ever played. I have it set to 15.5* with the weight forward and it's is easy to hit off the turf or tee, is forgiving, and more than long enough. It has a nice high boring flight with this setup. I haven't tried the F7 but, the new rails are suppose to be a big help. Give both a try and IMHO you won't be disappointed.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating my search. After searching forever I found something I think I'm going to like. Picked up a TEE e8 16.5 with a kuro kage blue shaft from global golf for 70 bucks. Should be here next week sometime. When I get a chance to hit it I'll post back.

Really wanted to find an f7 for a steal but little too spend right now. Maybe next year when the price drops.

WITB

Just updating my search. After searching forever I found something I think I'm going to like. Picked up a TEE e8 16.5 with a kuro kage blue shaft from global golf for 70 bucks. Should be here next week sometime. When I get a chance to hit it I'll post back.

Really wanted to find an f7 for a steal but little too spend right now. Maybe next year when the price drops.

I hope you enjoy the TEE as much as I do, I like the XCG5,and 6 so I haven't tried anything newer, eventually I may have to try something newer but I can still get these for around 50 bucks so I haven't looked at the newer.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Looking for some advice about fairway woods. I've always struggled to elevate any fairways from the deck. I'm working on a couple swing changes to hopefully help with that, but was wondering if you guys have any help for me in looking at some clubs/shafts to make it a little easier on me.

I'm mostly looking at a weak three/four wood in the 16.5* range. My short list: XR/XR16, a few different exotics XCG7/E8/EX9 and a few cobras fly-z/F6 baffler (I've read some good things even though it's not a true fairway).

I'd appreciate any input out there. Thanks everyone!

I've had the same problem for too many years. Gone thru a shh&&?@$d of fareway woods and different shafts to no avail.

Right now working for me is driver, 4 hybrid with 1.5" longer than std shaft and the rest irons. I gave up tinkering, just gave up.

Hope u find your mix.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Got an XR16 - a 5W, not a 3W - with the stock Speeder 565 shaft, and I am really happy with it. Easy to hit, ball pops off the face and it works hard to help me send it straight.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Tried the AeroBurner 14°, didn't work as well for me... :(

Now have a Cally Mini 1.5 which I am liking :)

Yeah, the AeroBurner 3w doesn't work for me either.  Guess what I have in the bag ?  Yep, Aeroburner 3W,  :wacko:   It got so bad that I pulled the 3W and just have a 3Hybrid (yep, an Aeroburner too) for longer par 4s and par 5s.  It is also giving me grief so I'm thinking about replacing it too.  It's been a hit or miss club for me.  Too many misses though.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Yeah, the AeroBurner 3w doesn't work for me either. Guess what I have in the bag ? Yep, Aeroburner 3W, :wacko: It got so bad that I pulled the 3W and just have a 3Hybrid (yep, an Aeroburner too) for longer par 4s and par 5s. It is also giving me grief so I'm thinking about replacing it too. It's been a hit or miss club for me. Too many misses though.

MDGolfHacker

Ha - also had two AeroBurner hybrids in the bag .. for only a short time....

Switched to Cobra F6s when I got the F6 irons and then switched those to Cally 5W + Cally 4H which seem to be working for me (well, for the time being anyway, until those decide to gang up on me and mutiny.....).

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

If you can find a X2Hot 3W, can't recommend it enough... can't find any used ones in Europe (and in good condition)

If I was in the US, I would be buying them all!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If you want to save some dough, X2 Hot and JetSpeed are also very good.

3W used to be a club I never used, now it's my go to club when my driver is not behaving.

And the 5W JetSpeed just replaced my Adams Super LS 19* hybrid.

But the best way to learn it is to take a lesson or two.

I agree with X2 Hot. Large face and very easy to get up. I replaced it because the trajectory was higher than I wanted.

Jon

Personally, Ping has always been synonymous with high flight for me.

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I agree with X2 Hot. Large face and very easy to get up. I replaced it because the trajectory was higher than I wanted.

Get the Pro version with Aldila Green. Brings the trajectory down.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Dude - I've been playing the XCG6 16.5deg 4-wood for the last couple of years and it has never left the bag. I'm in the process of trying to find a 7-wood to accompany it but no luck thus far. The loft on the 4-wood is perfect for me and I find that it is super consistent for me. I added a Paderson FW shaft last year and that combo is unbeatable - I can't see it ever leaving my bag. Would be interested to see how the E8 16.5 goes for you.

Dude - I've been playing the XCG6 16.5deg 4-wood for the last couple of years and it has never left the bag. I'm in the process of trying to find a 7-wood to accompany it but no luck thus far. The loft on the 4-wood is perfect for me and I find that it is super consistent for me. I added a Paderson FW shaft last year and that combo is unbeatable - I can't see it ever leaving my bag. Would be interested to see how the E8 16.5 goes for you.

Xcg6 is the best.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I tried a Titleist 915 F2 yesterday that was very hitable. Any comments from the group on that one?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived