TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fairway wood help

I have an adams tight lies2 3 wood in my bag and I find it very easy to hit off the deck as the head is thinner than most 3 woods on the market. I picked it up for 25$ at golf town last year. Adams got bought out by taylormade (I think) so you might want to look for a second hand model. If not, I'm also very interested in the cobra 3 wood model with the rails on the base, I think it's the f7? I've heard they make it easy to hit off the deck and out of a tough lie. I'd defiantly try one of those out too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

For me it came down to a Cobra f7 or baffler or a couple tour edge models and the tour edge won out simply for price. I really don't have a chance to test clubs near me. Hate where I live for that reason.

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay y'all, here's my update on my tour edge. I finally got a chance to get it on a range and put in some work. So far I'm extremely impressed. Face feels hot and I love the feel, sound, and look. Club launches really well. I'd never heard of a Kuro Kage blue before this club, but I'm really liking the shaft. Stable but not boardy to my feel. All in all the club responds well when I put a good move in and not awful when I miss. It'll stay in the bag for now until it makes me mad!

WITB

Okay y'all, here's my update on my tour edge. I finally got a chance to get it on a range and put in some work. So far I'm extremely impressed. Face feels hot and I love the feel, sound, and look. Club launches really well. I'd never heard of a Kuro Kage blue before this club, but I'm really liking the shaft. Stable but not boardy to my feel. All in all the club responds well when I put a good move in and not awful when I miss. It'll stay in the bag for now until it makes me mad!

Glad you found something you like. Are you hitting off the tee any and what loft did you end up with?

It's interesting - the sound of this the feel are taking some getting used to for me. My four wood is clearly going to work out though. I'm already hitting it more consistently than the old three wood.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Glad you found something you like. Are you hitting off the tee any and what loft did you end up with?

I very rarely hit three wood off the tee. I never felt confident with it. This club could change that though. I ended up with 16.5 loft.

It's interesting - the sound of this the feel are taking some getting used to for me. My four wood is clearly going to work out though. I'm already hitting it more consistently than the old three wood.

I'm really enjoying a four wood also. Very playable so far.

WITB

I have an adams tight lies2 3 wood in my bag and I find it very easy to hit off the deck as the head is thinner than most 3 woods on the market. I picked it up for 25$ at golf town last year. Adams got bought out by taylormade (I think) so you might want to look for a second hand model. If not, I'm also very interested in the cobra 3 wood model with the rails on the base, I think it's the f7? I've heard they make it easy to hit off the deck and out of a tough lie. I'd defiantly try one of those out too.

For my money you cannot but a better 3 wood. The feel, the forgiveness, the difference from any lie. And I do mean ANY lie!! When I was fit they took out on the grass driving range and put the ball in a massive divot. Hit out of it with no issues. Since then I've even hit it out sand which for how steep my swing is I find unbelievable. And if you like their drivers right now the deal is buy a driver and get a free fairway wood or hybrid. If Callaway wasn't amazing with customer service and send me a free epic I would've gotten the f7+ And free hybrid.

Has anyone ever tried (or own) a Sonartec fairway wood?

I've read really really good things about them but I don't think they make them any longer.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I've read really really good things about them but I don't think they make them any longer.

Haven't played one in a long time. I still have a royal collection (related to sonartec) in my extra club bag. They are great clubs and can be found fairly inexpensively.

I now prefer the tour edge exotics line of clubs. I think they provide the best and most underrated fairway wood on the market.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think @FozCycle may have in the past, not sure...?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hopefully there will be some more people chime in. I should probably add I've also looked at the ping g25 4 wood.

Ping is solid for fairways wood and hybrids. Check out the G20 series for hybrids and fairway woods, very easy to hit

Ping G20 driver through wedges

Bombtech blade putter

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Looking for some advice about fairway woods. I've always struggled to elevate any fairways from the deck. I'm working on a couple swing changes to hopefully help with that, but was wondering if you guys have any help for me in looking at some clubs/shafts to make it a little easier on me.

I'm mostly looking at a weak three/four wood in the 16.5* range. My short list: XR/XR16, a few different exotics XCG7/E8/EX9 and a few cobras fly-z/F6 baffler (I've read some good things even though it's not a true fairway).

I'd appreciate any input out there. Thanks everyone!

4 or even 5 wood, I do a lot of fittings and 90% of the time 5 wood is just as long and much more consistent.

Mainly due to height.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering how huskerhacker is doing with his Tour Exotics 3 wood?

I love my four wood. It's as long as my old 3 wood and much easier to hit. I'm getting exactly what I hoped to from it. I'm still not keen on the feel or sound but that will continue to disappear with good shots. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I usually hit my 3 wood long but with a low ball flight. I was fitted for the Titleist 917 3 wood. I hit it high, straight and long. So much so that I tee off with it on all shorter par 4's. I hit it 240-250 without the wind. Now in Alberta that is about 15 yards farther than those who play closer to sea level. I played with it in Ontario and it was 10 yards shorter.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Now in Alberta that is about 15 yards farther than those who play closer to sea level. I played with it in Ontario and it was 10 yards shorter.

Lets forget about clubs for more distance,   move to higher elevations.   Don't think I am getting too much extra distance at 10 feet above sea level   :wacko:

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived