TESTERS WANTED! ×

Offer tips or Not to Offer tips?

Shankster

I already had my speech planned if he asked.

You see me? I'm standing in the same place you are. Trying to get better at this game. There are numerous websites, (MGS) full of guys just like us. Come on over and join the crowd. Oh, and by the way my name is Shanks. Have a nice day.

- Alan

Yeah, thats pretty much the idea for me. After all if obvious help is what he needed and was what he was looking for I would extend myself and see if he was, or if I could help.

Forlorn and dealing with the 'crowd' is one of the hurdles for all beginners out there, when that little ball is giving you nothing but grief and others seem to get it.

Golf is about helping that beginner over his 'hurdles' as much as anything else... especailly if the guy wants it and is willing to put forth the effort.

Maybe you'll see him again, and that can only be a good thing.

Just so you know what I'm taking about. His grip looked like this. attachicon.gifIMG_0848.JPG

I tried swing like that, couldn't do it.

- Alan

How is that even possible? Damn... I tried and almost sprained my wrists...

Of course, one never knows... perhaps he has some physical condition that prevents him from gripping normally...

I see the majority here rather not give/receive tips, but that's because we already know how to play (some more than others). You can actually break someone's game with the wrong tips. Hell... I don't like receiving unsolicited tips either!

But in this case, Shankster identified him as a total beginner... I don't think a friendly suggestion would hurt. It's like you are seeing a guy walking into a dark alley and you know he will be mugged and you don't do anything about it expecting someone else to prevent it... ok, weird analogy...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Just so you know what I'm taking about. His grip looked like this. attachicon.gifIMG_0848.JPG

I tried swing like that, couldn't do it.

- Alan

Azinger had a pretty good career with that grip. Would tell him to not change a thing :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Once at the range where I practice, a gentleman in the stall next to me asked if I had any advice for him.   I told him that if he were to go to the other side of the range, he will see a garage looking building where there is a PGA teaching pro that can definitely help him.   I told him that getting advice from me is like Ray Charles giving Stevie Wonder directions home.

Once at the range where I practice, a gentleman in the stall next to me asked if I had any advice for him. I told him that if he were to go to the other side of the range, he will see a garage looking building where there is a PGA teaching pro that can definitely help him. I told him that getting advice from me is like Ray Charles giving Stevie Wonder directions home.

LOL. Good advice partner!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

That sounds painful to watch. If it were me don't give me advice unless asked first. Call it ego or pride it just stings when you know someone is seeing you suck so bad at a simple task tough situation!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I'm often asked for advice and always oblige but never offer it prior to being solicited. That said, when someone nearby is struggling mightily I'll make some attempts at commiseration via conversation. The most recent scenario involved a gentleman beside me on the range working through a super jumbo bucket, seriously struggling at the frenzied rate of ~6 balls a minute. Halfway through he had huffed and puffed himself into such a state he stopped to catch his breath. It was at this point that he looked over toward me and I somewhat sarcastically said "Fun game, huh?". He cracked a smile and replied "I'd be having a lot more fun if I could hit it like you". I explained that I'd been playing for 20 years and still have days that make me wanna quit; physics should preclude everyone from being any good at this game; and finally that I often have to remind myself why I'm really out here. It all hit home and after chatting a bit more he slowed way down and was hitting the ball much better toward the end. Sometimes the best tip you can give is letting someone know they are not alone.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

He was a young athletic dude. Would have pounded me in the dirt probably. But I'll strike up a conversation next time I see him.

A nice thing to do anyway.  He may be a great guy and you make a new friend.  He may be a jerk too, but at least you know and gave it a shot!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well said Mr. downlowkey. I'm not much of a conversation starter in person anyways. Everyone says I look Mad all the time, so that might be why this guy didn't say anything. I'm an easy going guy most of the time. I'll try to smile more or something.

On the opposite side of this, the last time I was at the range there was a guy who had an absolutely perfect swing and hitting the ball, dang near perfect every time (He was not the range pro/instructor).  

Would it be ok to ask for tip or to pick his brain and how would you go about it.  

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

On the opposite side of this, the last time I was at the range there was a guy who had an absolutely perfect swing and hitting the ball, dang near perfect every time (He was not the range pro/instructor).

Would it be ok to ask for tip or to pick his brain and how would you go about it.

I would wait till the have a pause in their practice. Then just strike up a convo. Like a lot of the stuff in here, I don't know why but people get weird when they get talked to or asked questions on the course. I'm open to talk to whoever, whenever but there was a guy last week asking me to use my equipment and I politely declined the first 3 times. 4th time i got a little irked.

- Al

I never ask for advice and never give it. I know what works most of the time for me. I don't know if any of it is good for anyone else. Let the kid "dig it out of the dirt". If approached, I refer them to my teaching pro.

I also seem to get asked a lot for advice when I get paired up with random people. I always make sure to reference that every swing is different and I am not their local licensed PGA pro but try to give my best judgement. 

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I also seem to get asked a lot for advice when I get paired up with random people. I always make sure to reference that every swing is different and I am not their local licensed PGA pro but try to give my best judgement.

That's why you shank the ball off the first tee... They won't ask any advice after that ;) ha ha ha

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I'll never give advice without being solicited by a stranger. Now my best buddy or my dad I will make a comment because I know their swings so well. If asked by someone I will give the most basic of thoughts. Not meaning like I blow them off but simple thoughts like grip or over the top suggestions. I'm not changing your entire swing bc all kinds of swings can work for all kinds of people

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

That's why you shank the ball off the first tee... They won't ask any advice after that ;) ha ha ha

MDGolfHacker

I'll give that a try  ;)

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I feel weird talking to people I don't know on the range, let alone giving out tips. I have given exactly one tip to a stranger on the range. I overheard two guys planning a crawfish boil. They had a kettle but didn't know where to find a suitable sized burner. I let them know that there was a beer brewing supply store around the corner that stocked what they needed!

As for "actual" on course tips, I never give swing advice but I will share course info with folks playing my local courses for their first time. 

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

If the guy is struggling and he looks like a beginner... then I might...

Or you might want to strike a conversation first... wouldn't want to make a fool out of myself trying to give tips to a scratch player who's just having a bad day :P

I would go this route also.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

My general rule is to not offer a tip unless I am asked for one. Even then I am apprehensive as what works for me generally will not work for someone else.

I'm right there with this and the guys issue has to be something obvious even after he asks, miss alignment, declaration, something like that. If not I will say go take a lesson.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If I see something that jumps out, I will ask "would you like a tip". Played with a group of randoms a while back and I could tell this guy used to be a baseball player.....strong 10 finger grip and a lot of swing speed. He was playing his driver in the middle of his stance and was hitting slicing worm burners. He accepted the tip, so I moved the ball up to inside his front heal and told him to take the same swing. The result was a high draw 290yds down the center. He was so stoked that he wanted to buy me beer after the round, but I had to get the kiddos.

If I see something that jumps out, I will ask "would you like a tip". Played with a group of randoms a while back and I could tell this guy used to be a baseball player.....strong 10 finger grip and a lot of swing speed. He was playing his driver in the middle of his stance and was hitting slicing worm burners. He accepted the tip, so I moved the ball up to inside his front heal and told him to take the same swing. The result was a high draw 290yds down the center. He was so stoked that he wanted to buy me beer after the round, but I had to get the kiddos.

I would have a standing tee time with this guy and give him tips like that all the time. You'd never pay for a drink again!!

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Archived