Offer tips or Not to Offer tips?

Our Sponsors

Well said Mr. downlowkey. I'm not much of a conversation starter in person anyways. Everyone says I look Mad all the time, so that might be why this guy didn't say anything. I'm an easy going guy most of the time. I'll try to smile more or something.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm often asked for advice and always oblige but never offer it prior to being solicited. That said, when someone nearby is struggling mightily I'll make some attempts at commiseration via conversatio

Once at the range where I practice, a gentleman in the stall next to me asked if I had any advice for him.   I told him that if he were to go to the other side of the range, he will see a garage looki

I never offer advice unless asked for it. You never know how someone will react to it Now in my regular foursome I'll offer up the "wrong" advice on purpose! HA!   Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapa

On the opposite side of this, the last time I was at the range there was a guy who had an absolutely perfect swing and hitting the ball, dang near perfect every time (He was not the range pro/instructor).  

Would it be ok to ask for tip or to pick his brain and how would you go about it.  

• Like 1

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

On the opposite side of this, the last time I was at the range there was a guy who had an absolutely perfect swing and hitting the ball, dang near perfect every time (He was not the range pro/instructor).

Would it be ok to ask for tip or to pick his brain and how would you go about it.

I would wait till the have a pause in their practice. Then just strike up a convo. Like a lot of the stuff in here, I don't know why but people get weird when they get talked to or asked questions on the course. I'm open to talk to whoever, whenever but there was a guy last week asking me to use my equipment and I politely declined the first 3 times. 4th time i got a little irked.

- Al

I never ask for advice and never give it. I know what works most of the time for me. I don't know if any of it is good for anyone else. Let the kid "dig it out of the dirt". If approached, I refer them to my teaching pro.

I also seem to get asked a lot for advice when I get paired up with random people. I always make sure to reference that every swing is different and I am not their local licensed PGA pro but try to give my best judgement. 

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I also seem to get asked a lot for advice when I get paired up with random people. I always make sure to reference that every swing is different and I am not their local licensed PGA pro but try to give my best judgement.

That's why you shank the ball off the first tee... They won't ask any advice after that ;) ha ha ha

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I'll never give advice without being solicited by a stranger. Now my best buddy or my dad I will make a comment because I know their swings so well. If asked by someone I will give the most basic of thoughts. Not meaning like I blow them off but simple thoughts like grip or over the top suggestions. I'm not changing your entire swing bc all kinds of swings can work for all kinds of people

<p>Knoxville, TN 4 Hdcp Ping G30 9deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Nike Vapor rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, 60 TM spider with 1.0 super stroke</p>

That's why you shank the ball off the first tee... They won't ask any advice after that ;) ha ha ha

MDGolfHacker

I'll give that a try  ;)

• Like 1

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I feel weird talking to people I don't know on the range, let alone giving out tips. I have given exactly one tip to a stranger on the range. I overheard two guys planning a crawfish boil. They had a kettle but didn't know where to find a suitable sized burner. I let them know that there was a beer brewing supply store around the corner that stocked what they needed!

As for "actual" on course tips, I never give swing advice but I will share course info with folks playing my local courses for their first time. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

If the guy is struggling and he looks like a beginner... then I might...

Or you might want to strike a conversation first... wouldn't want to make a fool out of myself trying to give tips to a scratch player who's just having a bad day :P

I would go this route also.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

My general rule is to not offer a tip unless I am asked for one. Even then I am apprehensive as what works for me generally will not work for someone else.

I'm right there with this and the guys issue has to be something obvious even after he asks, miss alignment, declaration, something like that. If not I will say go take a lesson.

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

If I see something that jumps out, I will ask "would you like a tip". Played with a group of randoms a while back and I could tell this guy used to be a baseball player.....strong 10 finger grip and a lot of swing speed. He was playing his driver in the middle of his stance and was hitting slicing worm burners. He accepted the tip, so I moved the ball up to inside his front heal and told him to take the same swing. The result was a high draw 290yds down the center. He was so stoked that he wanted to buy me beer after the round, but I had to get the kiddos.

• Like 2

If I see something that jumps out, I will ask "would you like a tip". Played with a group of randoms a while back and I could tell this guy used to be a baseball player.....strong 10 finger grip and a lot of swing speed. He was playing his driver in the middle of his stance and was hitting slicing worm burners. He accepted the tip, so I moved the ball up to inside his front heal and told him to take the same swing. The result was a high draw 290yds down the center. He was so stoked that he wanted to buy me beer after the round, but I had to get the kiddos.

I would have a standing tee time with this guy and give him tips like that all the time. You'd never pay for a drink again!!

• Like 1

<p>Knoxville, TN 4 Hdcp Ping G30 9deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Nike Vapor rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, 60 TM spider with 1.0 super stroke</p>