TESTERS WANTED! ×

The struggle is real! (For the lefty)

south_paw51

I am a lefty and very proud of that fact. The struggle I have with the equipment environment these day(although it has gotten better in recent years) is the selection for a left handed golfer is very limited.

For example: Your looking for a new club putter, irons or driver what have you. Do a ton of research make a choice and when you go to buy said club come to find it's right handed only or not the loft you wanted.

I understand that it's a business, but it can be really frustrating to be so limited sometimes by what is available. I'm just wondering what other lefties out there think and have done to navigate this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Being a lefty myself, I understand exactly.   While things have improved, unlike right handed equipment in the shops, a lot of times, lefties must order the item.   A few years ago, Mizuno made a set advertised as game improvement clubs.  I went to the Mizuno web site and inquired where I could purchase them in a left handed model.   They responded that they did not make a left handed model because there was not enough demand to make the "retooling" required economically feasible.   While I didn't like their respond, I did respect their honesty.  When I say I didn't like their response, it was more disappointment.  Their response was a genuine response to me (it wasn't boilerplate), and they did suggest a possible configuration of another set that might meet my needs. 

But it is not all bad news.  The lack of availability means that most likely I am not going to put out money on a club sitting in a shop rack and then find that it doesn't suit me.  Since I must order the equipment, I might as well get fitted before ordering.  You might say, it can prevent some impulse buying.   Also, by the time some items are available in a left handed model, the price has been reduced because new models are coming out.

It's getting better and worse three years ago. Almost everything cobra made came left handed now less than half does. This is my fifth season playing lefty and was a bit of a shock.

Callaway big bertha adilia rogue stiff with 1" tip

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

m2 3 hybrid adilia rogue stiff with half inch tip

Ping ie1 true temper xp 105 s300

mack daddy 2 56 and 60 wedges

stx putter

left handed

Handicap: my swing.

It's getting better and worse three years ago. Almost everything cobra made came left handed now less than half does. This is my fifth season playing lefty and was a bit of a shock.

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

It may sound funny but I have resorted to eBay and custom makers like Mann crafted or if you have the money Tyson lamb. Still frustrating not being able to get the same products as the righties in my playing group.

I've had no problem finding good clubs but it's still annoying. I pay the same money

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

I've never really had a problem finding lefty items online, as far as irons, drivers, wedges go. The one thing that sucks is putters. Whether it be online or in store, the selection is always limited when it comes to lefties. Usually when I want to test a new putter, I have to hit a righty and see how it feels that way.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I've never really had a problem finding lefty items online, as far as irons, drivers, wedges go. The one thing that sucks is putters. Whether it be online or in store, the selection is always limited when it comes to lefties. Usually when I want to test a new putter, I have to hit a righty and see how it feels that way.

Drivers for what ever reason are really easy. Irons are not as bad but the selection narrows like wedges. I have to agree with you on putters though I have had the same putter for 17 years! I would love to try something different but what fits my eye is really hard to find.

Drivers for what ever reason are really easy. Irons are not as bad but the selection narrows like wedges. I have to agree with you on putters though I have had the same putter for 17 years! I would love to try something different but what fits my eye is really hard to find.

That's a long time to keep a putter, but as long as it works. I'm 6'6" too, so I had to custom order my putter an extra inch and a half. Lefty and tall. Makes it difficult sometimes haha.

What putter are you using?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

My frustration as a lefty is trying clubs either at our club or at GG. Recently when I went to buy new hybrids there was only a limited selection. I understand we are only 10 percent of the population but we still have cash.

Oh and don't get me started on glove selection.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

That's a long time to keep a putter, but as long as it works. I'm 6'6" too, so I had to custom order my putter an extra inch and a half. Lefty and tall. Makes it difficult sometimes haha.

What putter are you using?

This may sound sad but I'm still rocking a duel force 550 that I think I paid like $60 for back in the late 90's. I really like the Newport 2.5 but the newer models don't come in lefty and eBay is really hit or miss.

My frustration as a lefty is trying clubs either at our club or at GG. Recently when I went to buy new hybrids there was only a limited selection. I understand we are only 10 percent of the population but we still have cash.

Oh and don't get me started on glove selection.

I totally feel you on the gloves. I have moved away from using a glove because of that fact. The only reason I was able to do that was because of Winn grips. They are the so sticky and comfortable that they're the only grips I have used for a long time.

What hybrids are you using? I have considered a couple different brands as well as driving irons, but I'm still on the fence.

It depends on the equipment you want, I used to play Mizzy MP68, when I went to get some with alittle more forgiveness jpx825 or 850 pro model of course they didn't make them, so I switched, right now I have XR pro irons, but eventuallly I want to get some Apex Cf16 pros. Buying gloves sucks because you want to buy the nice ones but of course they don't make them, so you settle for the mediocre, all of the top brands make wedges so that usually isn't the problem, putters, good luck finding the one you really want to try, you probably can't find it to try. So do you throw down 300 for a putter, nope you find that 100 ping and try that one and hope it works. I try to find a manufacturer that carries lefty stuff and stick with them when I look. Right now I like the Cally equip, but Titleist makes a lot of lefty, Ping also has lots, the problem is finding stuff that is carried in the stores so you can try it. Sometimes it sucks other times it's nice because you go to spend money and they don't have what you wanted so you don't buy anything.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I am a lefty and very proud of that fact. The struggle I have with the equipment environment these day(although it has gotten better in recent years) is the selection for a left handed golfer is very limited.

For example: Your looking for a new club putter, irons or driver what have you. Do a ton of research make a choice and when you go to buy said club come to find it's right handed only or not the loft you wanted.

I understand that it's a business, but it can be really frustrating to be so limited sometimes by what is available. I'm just wondering what other lefties out there think and have done to navigate this issue.

I feel your pain. I went to a Mizuno demo day today for the expressed purpose of hitting their irons. The Mizuno rep had bailed and the range only had their standard fitting cart. Guess what, no left heads to try. Frustrating to say the least. Am I surprised? No. Its just a fact of business that manufacturers cater to the larger market share which In this case is the right handed segment. Cleveland /Srixon was there as well and I was able to hit their clubs as they had Lefty models, but his set was also incomplete on the Lefty side. Why not have the full line instead of piece meal clubs?  In the end, the Srixons didn't wow me enough for me to consider them (it could be a swing issue though as I didn't hit balls very well during my league this evening too).

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

It depends on the equipment you want, I used to play Mizzy MP68, when I went to get some with alittle more forgiveness jpx825 or 850 pro model of course they didn't make them, so I switched, right now I have XR pro irons, but eventuallly I want to get some Apex Cf16 pros. Buying gloves sucks because you want to buy the nice ones but of course they don't make them, so you settle for the mediocre, all of the top brands make wedges so that usually isn't the problem, putters, good luck finding the one you really want to try, you probably can't find it to try. So do you throw down 300 for a putter, nope you find that 100 ping and try that one and hope it works. I try to find a manufacturer that carries lefty stuff and stick with them when I look. Right now I like the Cally equip, but Titleist makes a lot of lefty, Ping also has lots, the problem is finding stuff that is carried in the stores so you can try it. Sometimes it sucks other times it's nice because you go to spend money and they don't have what you wanted so you don't buy anything.

Putters......... they are so hard to find it is very frustrating. Callaway does some amazing things but I feel that's only because of Phil. Who is is amazing, but they don't appeal to me all that much. Which in a sense is like an oxymoron because they are owned by Callaway. I have started looking at taylormade again but it is just so hard to drop that much coin on anything these days.

I feel your pain. I went to a Mizuno demo day today for the expressed purpose of hiring their irons. The two had nailed and the range only had their standard fitting car t. Guess what, no left heads to try. Frustrating to say the least. Am I surprised? No. Its just a fact of business that manufacturers cater to the larger market share which In this case is the right handed segment. Cleveland /Srixon was there as well and I was able to hit their clubs as they had Lefty models, but his set was also incomplete on the Lefty side. Why not have the full line instead of piece meal clubs?

MDGolfHacker

Pick and choose they do. It is really hard to find a complete set from anyone. I hope that will change one day.

Putters......... they are so hard to find it is very frustrating. Callaway does some amazing things but I feel that's only because of Phil. Who is is amazing, but they don't appeal to me all that much. Which in a sense is like an oxymoron because they are owned by Callaway. I have started looking at taylormade again but it is just so hard to drop that much coin on anything these days.

Everything is getting more expensive :(  I think Ping, Callaway, Taylormade and Titleist have the most complete lefty sets (ie drivers, irons, putters and wedges).  I missed the local Ping demo day a few weeks ago and the driving range fitter told me that they have new stuff coming out so I should wait.  Well, we'll see...

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

For putters I look at the bay or just putt what they have at the store. I don't care for TM clubs much they changed the driver a few years back and turn them to crap, and I've never cared for their irons.

Also a suffering lefty. Went to check out new irons at one of the largest golf shops in the area last week. They were loaded with equipment but really nothing for me too look at. I understand what they r saying that when they have some LH items they don't move.

They did have quite a few 7 iron heads that r interchangeable for fitting.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Also a suffering lefty. Went to check out new irons at one of the largest golf shops in the area last week. They were loaded with equipment but really nothing for me too look at. I understand what they r saying that when they have some LH items they don't move.

They did have quite a few 7 iron heads that r interchangeable for fitting.

But they can atleast stock the LH demo units of the clubs and not necessarily the entire set. If a store had all the LH demo clubs, then I would definitely give them my business. A lot of stores around me don't even do that or have one offs..

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I totally feel you on the gloves. I have moved away from using a glove because of that fact. The only reason I was able to do that was because of Winn grips. They are the so sticky and comfortable that they're the only grips I have used for a long time.

What hybrids are you using? I have considered a couple different brands as well as driving irons, but I'm still on the fence.

I bought Ping G 30's a 19, 22 and 26 and love them.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I love my m2 but loved the forgiveness of the cobra f7 with the baffler rails. I went with the m2 because I hit it ten yards further off a tee and I generally only hit hybrid from the tee.

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

I bought Ping G 30's a 19, 22 and 26 and love them.

Something that I found on a blind whim I guess you could say and I know it's old. Sonartec hybrids are amazing! I'm only running the 21* but it is the most forgiving and easy to hit I have in my bag.

I love my m2 but loved the forgiveness of the cobra f7 with the baffler rails. I went with the m2 because I hit it ten yards further off a tee and I generally only hit hybrid from the tee.

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

I haven't had the opportunity to hit the m2's yet. I can only assume that they are really good because of how many people are using them.

Have you tried them off the deck at all? I tend to use my hybrid more off the fairway or a tight lie.

I haven't had the opportunity to hit the m2's yet. I can only assume that they are really good because of how many people are using them.

Have you tried them off the deck at all? I tend to use my hybrid more off the fairway or a tight lie.

Yes they are still great but for me the cobra was better from the deck.

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

stx putter

left handed

• 1 month later...

Being a lefty club ho is the toughest of all hoes. 

I can't tell you how many sets of irons I purchased without trying...Bridgestone J15 CB, Cobra King Pro Forged Combo, Cobra S3 Pro, Adams CB2, Miura CB, etc. Yea, I bought a set of Miuras without ever hitting one. Biggest ho moment of my ho-life. Fitting carts have improved the availability of demo irons, woods, and drivers but where I struggle the most is wedges and putters. Want to buy a wedge that's not 52*, 56* or 60*? Good luck! I haven't bought a wedge or putter from a brick and mortar store in years. They might have the model I'm looking for but only in one length. I'll surf the web and order online...thanks. 

And don't get me started on trying to find left-handed tees!!!

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I feel like gloves are the hardest to find. I usually don't have an issue finding clubs.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I feel like gloves are the hardest to find. I usually don't have an issue finding clubs.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I usually find one I like and then just order them online. I am really liking the look of the newer Asher gloves the Alta and the white deathgrip. I currently use GBB large. It's pretty good.

The issue isn't to do g clubs so much as it is finding specific clubs to try before you buy.

I signed up to do a ball fitting with Bridgestone at one of the local ranges a few years ago now, but when I got there, they were like oh, your lefthanded, we didn't bring the setup to do LH testing, we are only set up to do RH, but here's a sleeve of balls, I said, no thanks and walked away.

Archived