TESTERS WANTED! ×

Nippon NS Pro Modus3...go or no go?

Rphall003

I'm using KBS Tour (Stiff) shafts now but have been considering some new irons and outfitting them with the modus. Anybody have much experience with one vs the other or other suggestions even??

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G30 Tour 65

Fairway: Ping G30 Tour 80

Hybrid: Taylormade SLDR S 21*

Irons: Mizuno MP-54 KBS TOUR S

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50* KBS TOUR,

Titleist Vokey 55*, 60* KBS Hi-RevS

Putter: SeeMore fgp Original 35", 69*, 2.5*

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 S

Ok, so, glowing reviews on modus. Going to try to demo them in the i200 or TM 750.

Driver: Ping G30 Tour 65

Fairway: Ping G30 Tour 80

Hybrid: Taylormade SLDR S 21*

Irons: Mizuno MP-54 KBS TOUR S

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50* KBS TOUR,

Titleist Vokey 55*, 60* KBS Hi-RevS

Putter: SeeMore fgp Original 35", 69*, 2.5*

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 S

I love that the Modus 105 is a stock option in the Ping i200s

I've been playing my new Ping i200s with Modus 105 (stiff) shafts all spring. I've played dynamic gold a long time but I'm totally switching to Modus 105...I've not hit so many close iron shots before!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I tried both and went with the KBS tour 90 for the higher higher ball flight--so I guess it depends on if you are looking for on your ball flight. If you want slightly lower, then probably the Nippon.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I tried both and went with the KBS tour 90 for the higher higher ball flight--so I guess it depends on if you are looking for on your ball flight. If you want slightly lower, then probably the Nippon.

From the Modus line yes, but the Nippon Pro 950 will play very similar to the KBS Tour 90

I'm using KBS Tour (Stiff) shafts now but have been considering some new irons and outfitting them with the modus. Anybody have much experience with one vs the other or other suggestions even??

I'm using the modus 3 130 x in my Srixons. Had the KBS tour V 120 x in my hogans. I like this shaft a lot better. The 130 get the ball in the air more and that is what I needed.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I'm using the modus 3 130 x in my Srixons. Had the KBS tour V 120 x in my hogans. I like this shaft a lot better. The 130 get the ball in the air more and that is what I needed.

Yup, the 120 is a lower launching shaft than the 130. Most people just think the weight is the only difference

I too switched from kbs Tour to modus 130s and will tell you it's the best decision I ever made.

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

Really bummed I never got to try out the modus line. No one around me has the 130x or the 120tx.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Wow. What a great time for this thread. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Srixon 735 or 535/735 combo and have been reading and watching everything I can on the Modus 105 and 120.

Everything about my game says 105 (I'm currently playing KBS Tour90) but my only hands on experience so far has been the 120 and I was hitting them so straight and high, shot after shot after shot. I don't have anywhere nearby where I can try rhe 105.

So tomorrow I'm borrowing those same 120's and going to put them in play for a round. Even though they are stiff and I'm on the border of stiff and Regular.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Wow. What a great time for this thread. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Srixon 735 or 535/735 combo and have been reading and watching everything I can on the Modus 105 and 120.

Everything about my game says 105 (I'm currently playing KBS Tour90) but my only hands on experience so far has been the 120 and I was hitting them so straight and high, shot after shot after shot. I don't have anywhere nearby where I can try rhe 105.

So tomorrow I'm borrowing those same 120's and going to put them in play for a round. Even though they are stiff and I'm on the border of stiff and Regular.

I hit the same club with that KBS, felt hollow and dead compared to the Nippon.

- Al

The 105s will launch higher than the 120s

Yeah. That's what I gathered from the web site based the 105 having a softer tip and rhe 765 having a mid shaft bend profile.

I was hitting the 7 high enough the other day with the 120. I'll be interested to see tomorrow if I have the same results with the 5.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the modus 105 in a new set of irons until the fitter had me hit the Project X 115 LZ. Similar feel but much better results for me. Might be with a hit or two if you get the chance.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Yeah. That's what I gathered from the web site based the 105 having a softer tip and rhe 765 having a mid shaft bend profile.

I was hitting the 7 high enough the other day with the 120. I'll be interested to see tomorrow if I have the same results with the 5.

I suggest not being "fresh" when getting fitted for your shaft.  Michael Breed said a few weeks ago that he does all of his fittings after his students play 18.  He wants his students to be fit into shafts that they are going to get optimal results with late in the round.  So many times people get fit into shafts during a fitting in which they are well rested and swinging 100% which actually hurts them later in rounds when they are wearing down

I suggest not being "fresh" when getting fitted for your shaft.  Michael Breed said a few weeks ago that he does all of his fittings after his students play 18.  He wants his students to be fit into shafts that they are going to get optimal results with late in the round.  So many times people get fit into shafts during a fitting in which they are well rested and swinging 100% which actually hurts them later in rounds when they are wearing down

That's actually a great point, and thats the way I did my Fitting last year in Pinehurst, walked 18 an 18 hole round, had a quick lunch then straight to the fitting studio.  And you are right, after a few swings I was feeling tired and sweating all over again.  But the fitter said that was fine, for the exact reason you are mentioning.

It's also the reason MDGolfHacker suggested I be very very careful on liking how well I'm swinging the 120Tours on the range, and think about how they will feel around 14th hole.    Going to try and get out for a round this morning with them to see. 

Thinking about those again. They were the best performers I've ever hit. I tried a bunch yesterday. And I didn't want to like the Modus, but it called to me.

And said Alan, you hit very nice shots with me, you'd be stupid not to get me. Those other guys were too high or too low.

I hit the C-Taper lights too, everything looked like a knockdown to me, couldn't get any height with them.

I have the KBS tour stiffs in my Hogans, I like them fine. TBH, I've never really thought much about the shafts in my irons other than relative stiffness. Going through the fitting computer for the Ping i200s, I was matched with the Modus3s in XS so, I'm a little nervous but we'll see how it goes!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I have the 130X is my Srixons after playing the PX 7.0 for the last 4 years and they are amazing super smooth and great flight.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I have the KBS tour stiffs in my Hogans, I like them fine. TBH, I've never really thought much about the shafts in my irons other than relative stiffness. Going through the fitting computer for the Ping i200s, I was matched with the Modus3s in XS so, I'm a little nervous but we'll see how it goes!

I have those same shafts in mine. You'll love the Modus

- Al

It's definitely a Srixon thing. I have the 130s in my 765s and they are very crisp. High, solid ball flight

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I've hit all the Nippon models and they just didn't do it for me. I didn't like the feel and they seemed to spin a lot. I'll stick with my C-Tapers!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Archived