TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Irons - Thoughts about a switch

BGE89

Hey All!

The time has come for new irons and I have tried out several models over the year. I have played Titleist 690 MB's, PIng i59 & Callaway RAZR X MB the last 12 years. Looking at the irons available and the amount of golf I now play I am thinking about changing from playing a blade style iron to something in the middle of a blade and game improvement.

Some sets that stand out to me are Apex Pro 16, 716 AP2, PING iBlade (dont consider this iron a blade, as it was fairly forgiving when I hit it) & PING i200. THe i200 has been standing out a lot to me lately as well.

Anyone have any suggestions for other sets that I should try out?

Playing the cobra king forged CB/MB combo right now. Pretty darn easy to hit. To me You lose about 5 yards for each ball you get away from the sweetspot. I may be wrong but that's what I've observed. I rarely come up short of the green on mishits

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wilson! Check out the v6 and v5 v5 more forgiving model. And I would always check out cobra and mizuno as well

Callaway big bertha adilia rogue stiff with 1" tip

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

m2 3 hybrid adilia rogue stiff with half inch tip

Ping ie1 true temper xp 105 s300

mack daddy 2 56 and 60 wedges

stx putter

left handed

Handicap: my swing.

Couple of other possibilities worth trying out that are in this range would be Srixon 565 or the Bridgestone CBs.  I have heard some good things about both.  Trick will be finding shops that carry them so you can try them out.  Mizuno has a bunch of options between GI and blades as well.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

All great choices. This is the favorite OEM category so good luck.

Why not take Mizuno up on their challenge and register to see if you get picked to test the I200's?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for the suggestions! I entered to test the i200's so fingers crossed. I hit the previous i series model but found the a little too much GI style. If what Ping is claiming is correct these would be a great choice and I would be curious to see how they compare to a traditional blade style iron.

I also took a look at some Mizuno and the JPX 900 Tour look very nice as well but no lefty options.

From personal experience, the AP2's are pure. Buttery soft feel when struck on the nut, surprisingly forgiving on mid hits (or so I've heard, I always find the center of the face ).

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Thanks for the suggestions! I entered to test the i200's so fingers crossed. I hit the previous i series model but found the a little too much GI style. If what Ping is claiming is correct these would be a great choice and I would be curious to see how they compare to a traditional blade style iron.

I also took a look at some Mizuno and the JPX 900 Tour look very nice as well but no lefty options.

I know for a fact the tour is available in lefty. I've seen a couple for sale before

I don't know your budget nor your playing skills but, have you tried PXG 311t's? Based on what club's you've played in the past, try them.

I switched to PXG this year and the playability of the club's is outstanding. Workability is far above and beyond any other blade style club.

If your married, don't tell your wife if you purchase them!

I have both the 716 AP2s and the iBlades right now. From what I've seen, both are pretty forgiving for players irons. The AP2s offer slightly more forgivness in the longer irons, but the iBlades seem easier to work for me. The iBlades spin more than the AP2s. I'm still trying to decide between the two but I'm leaing AP2. Both are great sets and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I bought some Hogan Ft Worth irons today and love them. I also looked at mizuno 25's and the ping i200. Pings were nice, but a little jarring on impact (at least by comparison to the other two). Mizunos were excellent as always, but I chose the hoganss because they were heavily discounted. Good luck!

Sent from my VS987 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

Someone mentioned the Srixon 565 which no doubt are great, but the 765's might appeal to your players iron a bit more, but still very forgiving.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived