TESTERS WANTED! ×

Interview With Toney Penna Pres. Rob Rosenberg

Just got off the phone with Rob Rosenberg, the president of the reborn Toney Penna Golf Company.  He gave me a better idea of what the company is all about and why he's doing what he's doing.

The new Toney Penna is a division of Harpen Brand Holdings out of New Jersey. Rosenberg's background - his father's business, in fact - is in the luxury pen business. Rosenberg's specialty is looking for abandoned trademarks and intellectual property and bring those brands back to life. In 2015 he brought back the Esterbrook Pen brand (click here), and a Google search shows Harpen also owns the trademarks for the Kren baseball bat company as well as Pro Grain, which includes bags, gloves, bats and other baseball equipment.

Rosenberg says he's a golfaholic and and equipment junkie, and he loves business so he figured to combine the two, although he freely admits that one might say you'd have to be crazy to get into the golf business, especially when trying to revitalize an old, historic brand.

So why Toney Penna?  "He was a real character, flashy, cocky and he was raised near where I grew up in Westchester, NY" says Rosenberg. Penna's story itself is fascinating - he was born in Italy, came to the US and became a golf pro. He was a legendary designer for MacGregor for decades before starting his own company in 1967, with the backing of Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Perry Como.  The brand was eventually bought up by Jack Nicklaus and folded into his company, but has been dormant for decades. So Rosenberg bought the brand with the intention of reviving it.

Using the Penna name, says Rosenberg, gives the company a foothold. "Even if you've never heard of Toney Penna, and many younger people haven't, the name gives us a story to tell. If we called it the Rob Rosenberg Golf Company, no one would care."

Rosenberg dismisses any comparisons to the Ben Hogan Company - he says their business model was a recipe for disaster, especially because they had to pay to license the brand from Perry Ellis. That's why Roseberg looked for a brand he could own outright. 

So what are the plans -- from what Rosenberg says - extremely modest. "We're not going to compete with Callaway or Tailor-made - we want to be a small, niche company.  We're not going to say we're making revolutionary equipment, we're taking small, baby steps."

Rosenberg says they are utilizing open molds, but they are changing them up a little - the wedges have 10 grams of tungsten added to the sole. The limited edition first run (only 50 made) sold for $129, the regular edition will sell for $119. "We're not investing in new molds," he says, citing the expense. "We're making adjustments, however, and modifying a little bit."

They're also offering a limited edition putter - Rosenberg again says there's no innovation there, it's just, in his words, " a really nice milled putter." A driver is coming out later this spring - Rosenberg says it's a forged, cup-faced titanium driver with a classic look (black with a red stripe - a replica of an original Toney Penna driver), and will retail for either $199 or $229. It'll be a fixed hosel with a proprietary shaft - Rosenburg says it's somewhere in between a stiff and a regular.  They won't be offering upgraded shafts anytime soon. He's also looking at offering a driver with a faux persimmon finish (like what Cobra and Titleist are doing), and perhaps even an actual persimmon driver at some point, as a collectors item.

Most refreshing was that it certainly seemed Rosenberg had no delusions of grandeur when it comes to the brand. He says the brand isn't for the scratch golfer, and they're not going to offer anything in the way of customization or special wedge grinds or the like, at least not now. The goals seem realistic - he says he has no idea how many clubs they're actually going to sell - all he wants is to create little niche and not try to compete with the big guys.  "I don't anticipate selling thousands of clubs," he says. "If we sell hundreds, we'll be happy."  

So for now, Rosenberg is focusing on wedges (52, 56, 60) and putters, wit a driver coming out in a couple of months. He has prototype forged irons but isn't anticipating going down that road any time soon. "It's expensive to inventory, and we're focused on what we can sell. Wedges are easier."

The plan is to sell online only, although Rosenberg says he's had discussions with some retailers, but he says they're trying to cut back on brands, not add more. So the demo challenge is real, and he says they will offer a 30-day guaranty if you're not happy with the club. However, since the target is the more recreational golfer, the 10-20+ handicapper, he's confident most people will like it.  

"We're not looking to set the world on fire," he says. "We're not carrying a lot of inventory, just what we think we can sell." He knows what the number needs to be ("It's not a million dollars"), he just wants to find out what the company's niche will be.

So there you have it -- another foray into the golf equipment game. Rosenberg is very clear - he is NOT trying to compete with the big boys, but feels there is room for a small company to sell a few clubs and make a little money. 

I had a conversation with Jesse Ortiz (remember the Orlimar??) a couple of years ago, and he said something very interesting. He said the golf equipment business is a lot like the beer business - the big guys, the Callaways, TaylorMade's and the Titleists, are like the big breweries - Miller, Anheuser-Busch and Coors.  But there's still roomful a ton of microbrews - they're not going to take down the giants, or even compete with them, but they can find a niche to sell some beer and make a little money.  That's the challenge for these smaller companies like Toney Penna. Most people like beer, but beer is relatively inexpensive -if you buy a microbrew and don't like it you can toss it and at most you're out a few bucks. Golf clubs are a little different -- there are niches to be found and I believe Rosenberg is correct when he says that for the target market, most people will like his products - but $119 is $119 bucks.  

Not sure if this venture will be successful, but from what Rosenberg says, he doesn't really have to sell a ton of clubs to make it worth his while.  

TheToney Penna website went live today. Click here to check it out.  

YellowWedge.jpgputter3.jpgputter1.jpgpenna wedge 4.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

good read, thanks.   I don't see anything special about their equipment, but i always root for the little guy......putter is just like every other milled blade putter out there, but the price is pretty good

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I always like something a little different and love classic looking clubs, but there is nothing really interesting about these clubs at all. The wedges look nice but what sets them apart from any of the big boys? I mean give me some reason to buy your club. How about playing up the classic design and 1967 heritage with a real leather wrap grip? Or at least be forged.

A generic investment cast mold with the name of a golf pro that probably isn't known by most golfers under the age of 50. I don't see them lasting very long.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I hope the do find that niche and can maybe start designing new wedges.

Callaway big bertha adilia rogue stiff with 1" tip

cobra f7 3 wood stiff

m2 3 hybrid adilia rogue stiff with half inch tip

Ping ie1 true temper xp 105 s300

mack daddy 2 56 and 60 wedges

stx putter

left handed

Handicap: my swing.

good read, thanks.   I don't see anything special about their equipment, but i always root for the little guy......putter is just like every other milled blade putter out there, but the price is pretty good

I think that's the story - if you're looking for high tech or something revolutions, that's not what this brand is about. Can they sell thousands of clubs? Doubtful - but Rosenberg himself says the goal is more like "hundreds."  I bought one of the limited edition wedges, I hope it makes it here today - it'll be interesting to give it a try.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think that's the story - if you're looking for high tech or something revolutions, that's not what this brand is about. Can they sell thousands of clubs? Doubtful - but Rosenberg himself says the goal is more like "hundreds."  I bought one of the limited edition wedges, I hope it makes it here today - it'll be interesting to give it a try.

not a bad option if you're looking for something a little different.....the prices aren't crazy, i was expecting more along the lines of Hogan prices, the putter is a decent option if you want something milled and don't want to drop $300 (although the Hunt Beach may be tough to beat)....being limited to a small qty may drive a few sales, people love that stuff

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Very good read Barbs.

I love that he has his own realistic goals and say hey, lets see if it can be done.  

My :02, if he wants to be successful, even by his modest goals, I think it will have to be on price for the beginner or higher cap.  I don't see any great new technology, and he covered why in your piece.   I'm sure he'll sell a fair bit to old coots like some of us, who want it for no other reason than nostalgia.   I'm hoping he's successful, it's a cool story. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thanks for the info. I still think even with the historical tie in, it's not a brand that will succeed just because of the choices available and the heavy competition from not only the established companies, but from the used market as well. I'm not sure the added tungsten weighting will differentiate it enough to the average Golfer,even at the slightly lower price point.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The wedges do look nice... but I agree with deejaid, if you're going to go "classic" why not go all the way and add a leather grip?  that would at least be some differentiation.

Sounds like they might be trying to compete on price alone; 119 is a decent price for a wedge but I can get a slightly used one from callaway preowned for less than that and it has more 'technology' built into it.

hope it works out for him...It will be interesting to see what the driver ends up looking like.

Maybe he should target the senior market since it is a revival of a 'classic' brand?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Thanks for the info. I still think even with the historical tie in, it's not a brand that will succeed just because of the choices available and the heavy competition from not only the established companies, but from the used market as well. I'm not sure the added tungsten weighting will differentiate it enough to the average Golfer,even at the slightly lower price point.

MDGolfHacker

The only thing I can say about the above section is, his definition of success may be different than what we view as successful.  

The only thing I can say about the above section is, his definition of success may be different than what we view as successful.

True, but even making a small profit might be tough. Too much competition. So if Jessie Ortiz was going with a similar approach, where is his brand now? Nobody is going to buy it if nobody knows about it ;)

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

The big boys, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, TM, etc, tout technology to sell clubs. JDM's like Miura, Epon etc rely on a reputation of hand finishing and exclusivity. Where does a company like Toney Penna fit in?

Toney Penna is mentioned as a famous club designer that created many great clubs for Macgregor before starting his own company. If I owned the Toney Penna name the first thing I would do is find his most successful club design and reinterpret it for the 21st century. If there is any current appeal of the name Tony Penna would be in club design. To take a stock head and stamp Toney Penna on it and sell it for the price of a new Cleveland wedge doesn't make much sense. This has all the markings of the revived Walter Hagen brand a few years ago. They stamped the name Walter Hagen on some very average clubs and expected to make sales. It just didn't happen.

I am interested in seeing the Toney Penna drivers mentioned, especially the "persimmon looking" model. I think that could have a certain niche.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

The big boys, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, TM, etc, tout technology to sell clubs. JDM's like Miura, Epon etc rely on a reputation of hand finishing and exclusivity. Where does a company like Toney Penna fit in?

Toney Penna is mentioned as a famous club designer that created many great clubs for Macgregor before starting his own company. If I owned the Toney Penna name the first thing I would do is find his most successful club design and reinterpret it for the 21st century. If there is any current appeal of the name Tony Penna would be in club design. To take a stock head and stamp Toney Penna on it and sell it for the price of a new Cleveland wedge doesn't make much sense. This has all the markings of the revived Walter Hagen brand a few years ago. They stamped the name Walter Hagen on some very average clubs and expected to make sales. It just didn't happen.

I am interested in seeing the Toney Penna drivers mentioned, especially the "persimmon looking" model. I think that could have a certain niche.

But the start up costs to design a reinterpretation of his most famous club would most likely put them in the hole before they get going :(. Modernizing that club would involved R&D costs too,hence his decision to go with a standard mold and just make minor tweaks to it. I wish him success but it's tough right now in the golf hardware industry.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

But the start up costs to design a reinterpretation of his most famous club would most likely put them in the hole before they get going :(. Modernizing that club would involved R&D costs too,hence his decision to go with a standard mold and just make minor tweaks to it. I wish him success but it's tough right now in the golf hardware industry.

MDGolfHacker

Well, it costs money to make money. Putting the name of someone 75% of golfers know nothing about on a generic club head and expecting to make money is pretty foolish. I mean the name Ben Hogan and Nicklaus carry 1000 times more weight in the golf world and look how those companies ended up.

I think it would be quite easy to source some forged head blanks from Kyoei or another Japanese foundry, hire an industry vet like Don White to grind those blanks into shapes reminiscent of a Toney Penna design, add a leather grip and all of the sudden you have something the golf world might talk about.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Rob does read the forum and has been following this convo.  He just texted me to report the driver, when it comes out, will have vintage Toney Penna leather grips.

And just checked by confirmation email -- wedge is due to arrive tomorrow. If it comes in before I take off for the weekend I'll post some pics and impressions.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm glad he's reading this thread. I wish his company the best, especially in these tough market conditions for the small vendors. Love to try them out, but after reviewing the website I'm fairly certain they are only targeting right handed golfers (which makes sense as that is the majority of the golfers out there) and I'm a lefty.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I'm glad he's reading this thread. I wish his company the best, especially in these tough market conditions for the small vendors. Love to try them out, but after reviewing the website I'm fairly certain they are only targeting right handed golfers (which makes sense as that is the majority of the golfers out there) and I'm a lefty.

MDGolfHacker

I agree. I hope he can make it work. I like classic looking clubs, not new Hi-Tech looking and while the wedges or putter aren't grabbing me, I'm looking forward to seeing the drivers.

I'd also suggest to Rob to think about a milled Napa 8802 style putter. Or a milled Geo Low 600 style. I think those are two designs of the 60's that still have a lot of appeal. An updated milled version that isn't boutique price could really be a hit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

True, but even making a small profit might be tough. Too much competition. So if Jessie Ortiz was going with a similar approach, where is his brand now? Nobody is going to buy it if nobody knows about it ;)

MDGolfHacker

No I totally get what you're saying.  But remember we are talking about an already very succesful business person.  He may not be in it for profit...I know....horrors...right?   Just obtaining the brand getting something made and out the door for him to feel a sense of accomplishment may be success.

It's just like the question we had back in a college philosophy class about what defines a successful life.  For one man, it' making nothing less than millions and having every venture turn a profit.   For another it's having a wife and kids he loves and wouldn't trade for all the money in the world.   It's a word that can't be defined just by $$$ at least to those of us who are dreamers  :D

I like the thought and comparing to beer.... but I can buy three comparable wedges from Bombtech for the price of one here. Mmmmm.... hard sell for me!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my bag

Drivers: Grenade II, Standard flex!

FW Woods:  Cobra Fly-Z set 14.5* w/VLCT-Sp Stiff graphite shaft

Irons:  Taylor Made Speed Blades tweeked 1* w/graphite Matrix 55 gram  M shafts

Wedges:   Taylor Made Speed Blade P & A w/Matrix 55 gram M shaft, 56* SCOR V sole w/Genius 9 graphite shaft, Cleveland 60* w/steel Stiff shaft.
Putter:   SeeMore X2 custom

Balls: Snell

No I totally get what you're saying.  But remember we are talking about an already very succesful business person.  He may not be in it for profit...I know....horrors...right?   Just obtaining the brand getting something made and out the door for him to feel a sense of accomplishment may be success.

It's just like the question we had back in a college philosophy class about what defines a successful life.  For one man, it' making nothing less than millions and having every venture turn a profit.   For another it's having a wife and kids he loves and wouldn't trade for all the money in the world.   It's a word that can't be defined just by $$$ at least to those of us who are dreamers  :D

If I had to guess, based on our discussion, Rob may define success as selling enough clubs to make it worth his while to do it again next year.  Is he bringing any new, groundbreaking technology to the world? Nope, and he's not trying to. He has an old school brand name with a logo and is putting it on some nice but basic equipment - I'm not sure he has to sell very many to make this a worthwhile venture. I mean, the dude is selling designer pens to people!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

If I had to guess, based on our discussion, Rob may define success as selling enough clubs to make it worth his while to do it again next year.  Is he bringing any new, groundbreaking technology to the world? Nope, and he's not trying to. He has an old school brand name with a logo and is putting it on some nice but basic equipment - I'm not sure he has to sell very many to make this a worthwhile venture. I mean, the dude is selling designer pens to people!

About those pens. So they come with an aftermarket barrel or is it the stock, is the point adjustable or fixed.

About those pens. So they come with an aftermarket barrel or is it the stock, is the point adjustable or fixed.

:lol:  :lol:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I am not at least interested in the Faux persimmon looking metal drivers since I own about 20 examples of the "real Mccoy" Sorta reminds me of when Ford tried to do a makeover of the classic 55 thru 57 T-Birds a few years back. But then again GM and Chrysler did not do too bad with the retro Camaro and Challenger.

BTW This is a real Toney Penna driver

20160401_190508 (1).jpg

I know I am an old crudmudgen so "Get off my lawn"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I agree. I hope he can make it work. I like classic looking clubs, not new Hi-Tech looking and while the wedges or putter aren't grabbing me, I'm looking forward to seeing the drivers.

I'd also suggest to Rob to think about a milled Napa 8802 style putter. Or a milled Geo Low 600 style. I think those are two designs of the 60's that still have a lot of appeal. An updated milled version that isn't boutique price could really be a hit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Napa 8802" you must be slipping a little there my friend ---- Surely you mean Wilson 8802---- I know I am a little too old fasioned

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I am not at least interested in the Faux persimmon looking metal drivers since I own about 20 examples of the "real Mccoy" Sorta reminds me of when Ford tried to do a makeover of the classic 55 thru 57 T-Birds a few years back. But then again GM and Chrysler did not do too bad with the retro Camaro and Challenger.

BTW This is a real Toney Penna driver

attachicon.gif20160401_190508 (1).jpg

I know I am an old crudmudgen so "Get off my lawn"

Sweet driver Stu! But you know, I really like those Thunderbirds Ford put out 10 years ago.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

"Napa 8802" you must be slipping a little there my friend ---- Surely you mean Wilson 8802---- I know I am a little too old fasioned

You're right. But I don't have one yet in my small stable of classic putters. It will definitely be a Wilson though, not a Scotty

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

You're right. But I don't have one yet in my small stable of classic putters. It will definitely be a Wilson though, not a Scotty

They are sorta plentiful. I had 2 and sold both the same day about 10 years ago when the prices were up. Actually I have a Cleveland "Designed BY" 8802 style that I have owned for 20 years or so. for some reason it always felt better to me than the 8802s. My brain just kicked it I know why you referred to the style as a Napa 8802. Because most folks would not know what you or I were taking about with a Wilson 8802 reference   :D

G

Archived