TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fairway wood shaft

I am having tons of problems launching my fairway wood. I'm fine with the 5 wood but I've gotten so good with my 23 degree hybrid that there's hardly a difference.

I need something that will give me about a 190 yard carry and 210 with a run out.

I could go to my fitter but it will be 100 plus another 50 or so for a shaft and the discomfort of not wanting to buy new from him when he offers it.

I'm seriously thinking of trying a Senior shaft in my current 3 wood. I remember that my pro in WI used to have X in his driver, S in everything else and R in his 3 wood to help him launch it higher. It worked well enough that he Monday qualified for the GMO with that set up.

Thoughts? Especially from some of our equipment gurus.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Not sure a new shaft would really help that much. If it's not launching high enough for your liking, then maybe look at going to a little more loft with the same shaft length - perhaps something like the Callaway GBB Heavenwood?

I appreciate the reply but I know from first hand experience and data from tests done here that the shaft does matter. Flex, kick point, weight, length will all impact launch conditions as will loft.

I'm hoping that one of our fitters will weigh in here. I'm essentially looking for a four wood that I can carry 185-190. I currently carry my 4 hybrid 175-180. I carry driver 215 with a swing speed right around 90.

I have a SLDR 3 HL that I would like to stick on a shaft that will help me launch it higher.

At some point I may just give in and pick up a Cobra 3/4 that's an older model but I like the look of the SLDR head.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm going to try and bump this by asking if one of our fitters might jump in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I would suggest finding a shaft with a low kick point and if accuracy doesnt give you any issue, then something with a little more spin would not be a bad thing.

Thanks I'm pretty accurate and we are talking 210 yards, in the ball park works fine at that distance.

Interesting comment on the SLDR HL given that it's what Dustin Johnson bagged to win the US Open.

It's always a to each his own with equipment beyond a doubt. I hit that club well yesterday. I do believe a different shaft will allow me to launch it higher.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thanks I'm pretty accurate and we are talking 210 yards, in the ball park works fine at that distance.

Interesting comment on the SLDR HL given that it's what Dustin Johnson bagged to win the US Open.

It's always a to each his own with equipment beyond a doubt. I hit that club well yesterday. I do believe a different shaft will allow me to launch it higher.

How much additional carry yardage are you looking for?

Rev, if you haven't already read the thread I started about my hybrid/FW fitting.  It is almost the exact same situation you are looking for.  I was looking for a 5w or hybrid to get me that 190 to 200 yard shot.   The cliff notes are I ended up with a 18 degree 5w but with a 7 w (42") shaft in it.  it improved my contact tremendously and as a result a higher straighter ball flight that got me right to that number, closer to 190 than 200, but I'll take it. 

Here's the link.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/19070-hybridfw-fitting/?p=273534

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Agree, but not everyone has access to a fitting center or have the time for it.

Understood, but my point was the OP is looking for an answer that isn't really going to help him, and if he does go with a random recommendation from this thread it is really a coin flip as to if it provides him with what he's looking for

Understood, but my point was the OP is looking for an answer that isn't really going to help him, and if he does go with a random recommendation from this thread it is really a coin flip as to if it provides him with what he's looking for

Yeah, I got you. I'd be at the golf center every day trying stuff out if I had access. And I agree with you 100001%.

Do you buy a car without test driving it first?

- Al

A lot of times this issue comes down to technique rather than spec. The hybrid you hit so well is probably a bit shorter in length and with more loft than the equivalent fairway - no surprise you're hitting it better.

But if you extrapolate that theory and apply it to your fairway wood, then a better ball striking may result. 

First off, take a good look at shaft length - it's not uncommon for them to be uncomfortably long these days, so even by sacrificing an inch your centre strikes will ensure you are getting the best distance possible.

Next look at set up. It's very likely that the fairway wood leaves you with a tendency to play the ball forward in your stance with a sweeping motion, but rather the shot should be played with a descending blow to let the loft do the work - remember how easy it is with the hybrid? Use a similar swing thought.

Lastly look at the actual loft you have. The SLDR HL is a good idea as it gives a nice launch window, but also has the benefit of adjustable loft to find the best launch and distance.  

Senior shaft? Only if you have the hand timing to keep it under control. The launch and spin will give you the higher ball flight you might need, but it may come at the expense of unpredictable dispersion and spin that balloons into the wind - not good on either count. First and foremost get the the length, weight and loft right first before looking at flex to fine tune launch and spin.

Jas - I had started to think about shaft length as frankly the thing looks as long as my driver (its not but optically it looks like it) and my driver is 45" which is what I've been fit to.

I'm really thinking 43", loft jacked a bit and something with a lower kick point might be just the ticket for me.  I like the look of that head - it's nice and compact which is generally what I prefer in fairways and hybrids.

I used it once yesterday and hit a bullet with it but it feels like a lot of work to hit good shots. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@ shankster and jlukes - I do have a general idea of what I'm doing.  I've had several fittings including a full bag and fairway wood specific that was at the Tour Performance Center.  I listen closely and I'm a pretty quick study (I have a couple of Master's degrees - it doesn't make me a genius but it means I've learned how to learn). 

I fully agree there's no substitute for a fitting and I have the fitter to go to - the problem is he's going to charge me $100 (he's worth it) and he's going to recommend a shaft based on what he believes is best regardless of cost.  It could end up costing me $250 for a club that will be the least utilized in my bag.  In fact the only reason that it is of concern for me is because my club has a couple of holes on it that require three shots of 200 plus yards to hit the green in regulation - it's a long course from any set of tees that I would want to play.  That pumpkin will disappear in about six months.

Bottom line is I'm trying to find something that I can hit from 195-210 fairly easily and consistently - I'm not looking for that perfect fit that I currently have in my driver, irons, wedges and putter.  Close enough will work for me. 

I'm trying to avoid a stupid mistake - I think Jaskanski just talked me down from one.     

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That's why I recommended the Heavenwood in my initial post. It's long (shaft wise) like a 3 wood with the loft of 20*. Will give you a bit more swing speed with the longer shaft and the extra loft will help your launch.

You can find a V Series or Great Big Bertha Heavenwood on the Callaway pre-owned for under $80

Wouldn't be surprised if you can find a used one in your local big box that you can swing before you buy

Thanks I appreciate it -

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Had s similar problem but mostly due to age. A PGA neighbor set me up with a slightly longer shaft and a senior shaft on my 4 wood and hybrid. It worked pretty good for me

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Well after all the advice here I've come to the following conclusions:

I hit the clubs that I was fit for great and when I don't I know that it's my fault.

I'm not hitting my fairway woods consistently well and even when I get a good result it's not because of proper ball flight. But I wasn't fit for them.

If I'm going to be more consistent I should just bite the bullet and go get fit for a fairway wood.

I'm calling my fitter later today and I will let everyone know what happens.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived