TESTERS WANTED! ×

Head Covers for Whole Bag?

Shankster

I remember getting teased a bit by my dads golf partner Kevin about having head covers on my irons as a kid. I was thinking in my head, really ya JA!

Here's my take on why I am making headcovers for all of my irons, wedges, and utility clubs.

Disclaimer: I currently do not have iron covers, and I mostly ride in a cart. This year my goal is to walk 75% of the time.

First: It is an investment. You spend $$$ on these little pieces of steel.

Second: That sound of club faces clacking together down the fairway makes me cringe. There are grooves on those things!!!

Third: Nothing makes me more angry than a chip in the top of my putter, driver, etc.

I got that 712u last year and it is forged. Wow, it took a beating. So this year it will be rocking a lost sock till I get the head covers made.

I am looking to purchase the Cobra King LTD's very soon. That's a $1200 investment for me, pretty good chunk of cash considering my truck was only $3000. If they get beat by cart traffic I would be a little upset.

My current gamers are cast and they still take a beating. Even if my new set is cast I will be putting the head covers on them, as I plan to have them for a while.

Wedges... these things give the second most entertainment in the bag if you ask me. Nothing cooler than executing a wedge shot that stops, spins, and zips a cross the green. Why let those faces get beat up?

Putter is obvious to me. Cover is a must.

My 52° TM wedge has a massive dent in the face from one outing in a cart.

What do you all think?

Would you rock some head covers on your irons and wedges after reading this?

- Al

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have actually been looking into a complete set of covers for everything lately, so yes, I would rock em!

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

nothing wrong with using iron covers, some will blast people for it....it's a personal choice.....I have a set, use them mostly for transporting.....during the round, when I use an iron, the cover goes in a bag pocket til after the round

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Still a no for me.  My solution was a different bag.  Used to have a Bagboy Revolver and switched last season to the Ogio Silencer.

Fixes all of those issues without having to put head covers on my irons.  Even without that bag though I still wouldn't rock them.

Woods, hybrids and putter.  Nothing else gets a cover for me.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I put head covers on irons when traveling, other than that they go around nekked.  Like Brian, I keep the head covers on the driver, FW, hybrids and putter during the round. Except, of course, when I'm using them....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't use covers on my irons. I really don't like them. But....

I have just recently purchased a set of KZG forged irons that are beautiful. I look at my current gamer Wishons and they are all dinged with bag chatter. It doesn't bother me really as I look at my clubs more like a tool. I didn't buy them to resell one day so why worry. However, it is a shame that clubs get nicked and dinged through normal use. I especially say that now that I have the new KZG's that are beautiful and pristine.

Soon I'm going to send these irons to my fitter to have him rebuild them to my specs. I'd recently looked online for some cheap head covers to use for shipping. I think that makes sense.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I for one like to keep my clubs as pristine as I can as long as I can, just personal preference.  With that said, I do not like to use headcovers so I purchased a Ogio Chamber cart bag that locks in your clubs...but it is heavy as hell when you load it up with all your essentials...that is the trade off I guess so I just deal with it. The Ogio Chamber bag is on a gas cart is great, holds your clubs in place and no bag chatter.  I did notice one thing though, I have my driver, 3wd and hybrids in the back when you load it on the cart and go to pullout the driver or longer clubs it hits the roof of the cart so I tend to store them on the sides.....weird.  If you have it on your push cart, since it is at an angle, your clubs will twist and lay on top each other, it may not at first when you first get the bag but I had mines for 3 years. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

you can get these on Ebay dirt cheap, they work well and last pretty long

Capture.JPG

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I put irons cover on all my sets. It's pretty much a trickle down procress as I test different brands and designs. I also tried the clip that lock your club in place and it's horrible.

The bigger and easier to slip on neoprene with window like pic above are great with SGI/GI but it's slip off the smaller/thinner irons easily. The smaller neoprene works well with wedges and baldes. Clear window for irons id doesn't really work but I ended up marking them with white marker. I have a few nice iron set and paid premium for them, i wanna keep them as new as I can.

There's some psychological aspect about hitting crisper shots with a nice clean groves as well as pride of ownership.

It is a no for me. Woods and hybrids yes as well as the putter. No issue with anyone using them just not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I don't use them but have thought about it due to the clanking when walking.

I don't think it's as uncommon as you think. Like you said you pay good money for these things, might as well take care of them

I have covers on every club in my bag. You are right I hate them chattering together going down the course. I have those same cobra ltd irons and you're right it's a 1200 investment!!!!! Which I'm gonna take damn good care of. I don't care what anyone says. That being said I do however want to try the Ohio silencer bag and see if I can maybe get rid of the covers because I'm also tired of losing iron covers lol.

I have iron covers because I despise chatter in the bag. The tricky part is not losing them when you play.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

I watched some high school kids last week take off with their parents money in there bags and wow. The disrespect to the clubs I saw... just doesn't make sense. All you could hear was clack clack clack, then the big bump silence and bang. You all know what I mean.

Plus I've seen some bags fall over in the parking lot, off the back of the cart, and it really jacks up the soft metal on these clubs.

I have covers on every club in my bag. You are right I hate them chattering together going down the course. I have those same cobra ltd irons and you're right it's a 1200 investment!!!!! Which I'm gonna take damn good care of. I don't care what anyone says. That being said I do however want to try the Ohio silencer bag and see if I can maybe get rid of the covers because I'm also tired of losing iron covers lol.

Preach on!

And keep an eye out for "Shanky Covers" in the near future.

- Al

I figure if I'm using my irons to hit sand/pebble filled turf 25-35 times a round twice a week, plus 100-200 times a practice session once or twice a week, I don't really mind if they smack up against one another while I'm walking. Doubt it's doing more damage than actually using them.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Never have used them and never will. I'll cover my woods and putter. That's it. I enjoy the clickity clack as I walk down a fairway.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Still a no for me. My solution was a different bag. Used to have a Bagboy Revolver and switched last season to the Ogio Silencer.

Fixes all of those issues without having to put head covers on my irons. Even without that bag though I still wouldn't rock them.

Woods, hybrids and putter. Nothing else gets a cover for me.

How do you like the Ogio Silencer? I've been looking at new bags, and this one has been top of the list. I was worried about how the clubs would fit with midsize grips like the MCC Plus4s

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Still a no for me. My solution was a different bag. Used to have a Bagboy Revolver and switched last season to the Ogio Silencer.

Fixes all of those issues without having to put head covers on my irons. Even without that bag though I still wouldn't rock them.

Woods, hybrids and putter. Nothing else gets a cover for me.

Minus the silencer bag....this

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have these for my hybrids (iron type), irons and wedges: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074V4W8Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2T2L1SZ9FUVAD&coliid=I2CS23JFZRVOM5

My clubs are also forged and built by me, so I'd like to keep them looking good for as long as I can.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've never had them, seems to slow me down, or I'd lose them. BUT months ago I was fitted for a new set of irons and it has me thinking of getting a set

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I use them all the time - maybe because I'm a bit OCD. Head covers on the driver, hybrids, irons, wedges. But I did lose my putter cover. Doesn't slow down the game at all - I take them off as I approach my ball and put them back on as I approach the cart. I keep the cover in my pocket while I'm hitting the ball. Also keeps the clubs from 'chattering' while I drive the cart.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... Like others here I play forged irons and they are an investment, especially since I rarely keep them more than 2 seasons and sell them in mint condition. I use a remote cart and almost always walk but that cart gives the clubs a pretty rough ride sometimes. I have used the Bag Boy Revolver for years and last season went to the lighter Ogio Silencer. I have the original and the 2016 version. The original locks clubs in place with no movement. The new one started slipping with a few clubs almost immediately and some clang together. I just called Ogio about it today and the warranty dept is calling me back Monday. Hopefully I just got a defective one. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Archived