TESTERS WANTED! ×

Head Covers for Whole Bag?

Shankster

How do you like the Ogio Silencer? I've been looking at new bags, and this one has been top of the list. I was worried about how the clubs would fit with midsize grips like the MCC Plus4s

... Read my earlier post about the Silencer. Other than the slipping I really like the bag. It is much lighter than my older BB Revolver bags. I did try my sons midsize grips in my Silencer and they are a tighter fit, which actually works better than my normal grips with one wrap. So you should be good. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Questions: why cover the putter & no to irons.

IMO. I find that so silly. Putter cost less than irons so protecting investment is out. It don't get used for full strokes & straight angle accuracy is minimal compared to feet vs yards so nick dents reason is out.

Im truly curious to reason for this

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have some neoprene ones called "iron gloves". They are relatively cheap and small. I put it in my pocket when I hit so doesn't really slow you down much. They fit tight on the club so they don't fall off and seem fairly sturdy. IMG_2009.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Questions: why cover the putter & no to irons.

IMO. I find that so silly. Putter cost less than irons so protecting investment is out. It don't get used for full strokes & straight angle accuracy is minimal compared to feet vs yards so nick dents reason is out.

Im truly curious to reason for this

That's what I'm sayin!! Why not cover everything? We aren't advertising well I guess we are but not getting paid for it!

- Al

That's what I'm sayin!! Why not cover everything? We aren't advertising well I guess we are but not getting paid for it!

- Al

I'm sorry but I have putters that cost more than my irons, plus I don't use my putter in the sand or rough, can't compare, for me the putter is the most respected club in my bag, plus the only club I rub gun oil all over it after every round. Yeah call me crazy.

No iron covers for me for the following reasons:

1. Stigma: Won't be judged by those golf purist

2. Just another thing to lose: you never want to be that guy backtracking to the groups behind you asking "anyone find a headcover"

3. It's metal: any imperfections to the grooves will likely add spin if anything. Putter is more of a finesse club & visuals are more important. Same with the woods as dings on irons are generally on the bottom, while those on woods are generally on the crown.

4. These are instruments used to beat a golf ball: if you purchased for visual purposes, hang those puppies on the wall

5. It's what I feel is right: I do what's best me & you do what's best for you!

Sent from my SM-J700T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have a set of neoprene iron head covers for traveling but I never use them when playing. I carry and I actually like the rhythmic 'clack-clack-clack' of my irons banging together as I walk. Now I did just splurge on a custom set of knit wood headcovers with some nice old-school pom-poms on them. Don't want to scratch the painted heads.

Some people really baby their clubs and some leave them in the trunk of their car. If you like the all head cover look, go for it. Like some have said, there is a bit of a stigma of iron headcovers but who cares what someone else thinks?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Who cares what anyone else thinks. If iron covers make you feel better, then rock em.

I personally don't use them. My irons are tools for digging in the dirt. I don't worry about scratches or nicks.

I do keep head covers on my woods and hybrids mostly to protect the shafts from my irons, also my putter because that's a finely tuned instrument.

I don't care what anyone thinks. They can kiss my... I was just wondering how many people had that stigma of using them.

Like I said originally I don't use them, but I will.

Everyone is saying they are tools. I'm a mechanic, when I am done with my tools I clean them, inventory, and store properly which includes putting them in a box with foam cut outs. I beat the heck out of those things, but they pay the bills so I take care of them.

Same for my clubs I guess. They make me smile or want to throw them in the lake, but they get the utmost respect from me.

Unnecessary damage do to cart chatter is preventable. Just seems smart to me.

Lots of good stuff here. Keep it coming.

I use these. They have velcro to stay on the club & are well padded

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141916448795

Bulldog - thanks for this lead. They look great on line. I bought two sets one for myself and one for my wife. For 19. How can you go wrong.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I put head covers on irons when traveling, other than that they go around nekked.  Like Brian, I keep the head covers on the driver, FW, hybrids and putter during the round. Except, of course, when I'm using them....

Take them off when using them???

Ooohhhh!!!  ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Only cover the driver, fairway woods, hybrid, and putter and once the round starts I take the driver cover off.Even though I just got the new Epic Sub Zero. I am careful to push all the clubs down so they do not reach the driver. Also we don't drive to crazy on the course.

Still a no for me. My solution was a different bag. Used to have a Bagboy Revolver and switched last season to the Ogio Silencer.

Fixes all of those issues without having to put head covers on my irons. Even without that bag though I still wouldn't rock them.

Woods, hybrids and putter. Nothing else gets a cover for me.

I switched to Ogio too and couldn't be happier! There is no clanking on the clubs and my irons show no signs of it. The secret is the 14-slot bag, life changer!

Just can't bring myself to use covers for the whole bag

I have covers on my driver, hybrids, & putter. Poor irons have to fend for them selves.  Actually pending what putter I'm gaming it may not wear one. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm on the keep .. almost .. everything covered side.

If I seem to be pulling a particular iron or hybrid, or anticipate using it on an upcoming shot, it may stay uncovered for a while.

For the irons found thin, lightweight neoprene covers on eBay which are just enough and were only like $3.50 for the set.

I spend more time cleaning the clubface than slipping the little cover back on. But that's just .. Me and my OCD ....

Question - being curious and not argumentative - to the guys who like the clank-clank-clank:

When you're hitting a shot .. tee, fairway, putt .. do you prefer quiet, or are you able to focus / tune out all background noise?

When I'm trying to hit, if there's​ a clank-clank-clank near me I get distracted too easily ...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I HATE COVERS!!! Sorry Shankster ;)

I just started putting a head cover on my driver because I got a dent on the top but for the most part, I like to let my boys breathe!

Reasons why I don't use head covers:

1. They make a slow game, slower. Take em off, put em on, it's just more stuff that slows my game down.

2. It doesn't look good. I have a bag full of beautiful forged irons! It would be a crime to hide that glistening steel from my fellow golfers!

3. I play so much golf that there is no hope of reselling my clubs in any case. I wear the faces out and club chatter doesn't really affect my grooves.

4. It's more stuff to carry. I walk (no hand cart) and I like to play fast and light. I often only put 11 or 12 clubs in my bag, use a super light bag (Titleist 4up stadry stand bag ((sub 4lbs)) and only carry 3 or 4 balls.

So that's my style, fast and light. Do I judge golfers with iron covers? No but I do judge slow golfers! If you want to protect your babies, I totally get it, just do so in a timely manner! :)

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Why is everyone in such a rush? You're gonna have to wait regardless. If you are getting pushed from the group behind you... dang. It literally takes .3 seconds to put a cover on. I haven't time it but that sounds like a good number.

And do you wash and wax your car? Boat? ATV? I don't own any RV type stuff. My clubs get that attention. Nothing worse than staring down at your favorite club with a big knick in the top line. Maybe it's just me.

Be one with the course, take your time. I play fast but I always clean my club after each shot. It might be in the cart on the way to the next shot but I don't have a green growing on the face.

And Forged steel is soft. Very soft.

Say it with me now....

"I am one with the course, the course is with me!"

I remember getting teased a bit by my dads golf partner Kevin about having head covers on my irons as a kid. I was thinking in my head, really ya JA!

Here's my take on why I am making headcovers for all of my irons, wedges, and utility clubs.

Disclaimer: I currently do not have iron covers, and I mostly ride in a cart. This year my goal is to walk 75% of the time.

First: It is an investment. You spend $$$ on these little pieces of steel.

Second: That sound of club faces clacking together down the fairway makes me cringe. There are grooves on those things!!!

Third: Nothing makes me more angry than a chip in the top of my putter, driver, etc.

I got that 712u last year and it is forged. Wow, it took a beating. So this year it will be rocking a lost sock till I get the head covers made.

I am looking to purchase the Cobra King LTD's very soon. That's a $1200 investment for me, pretty good chunk of cash considering my truck was only $3000. If they get beat by cart traffic I would be a little upset.

My current gamers are cast and they still take a beating. Even if my new set is cast I will be putting the head covers on them, as I plan to have them for a while.

Wedges... these things give the second most entertainment in the bag if you ask me. Nothing cooler than executing a wedge shot that stops, spins, and zips a cross the green. Why let those faces get beat up?

Putter is obvious to me. Cover is a must.

My 52° TM wedge has a massive dent in the face from one outing in a cart.

What do you all think?

Would you rock some head covers on your irons and wedges after reading this?

- Al

I'll take the beating on my clubs for the sake of keeping my man card. And as far as the iron clacking, for me it was a confidence booster playing in tournaments and walking with my chest up and my irons making a rhythmic noise. I can see where you are coming from though, all jokes aside.

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

Archived