TESTERS WANTED! ×

Head Covers for Whole Bag?

Shankster

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is that man card thing again. This is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Well, none of the pros do it (cover their irons or wedges), even though their caddies could do it for them during some of that standing around time.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I have covers on all of my clubs except my hybrids because they are old, beat up, didnt come with them, and i'm just not going there until i replace them.

Mizuno_Blue_Black.jpg

I thought I would have trouble keeping them and avoiding losing them, but you just get in a natural groove of putting it in your back pocket then back on the club so it matches its buddies. It has definitely helped keep my clubs from getting marked up, and honestly my bag looks sick. I just got new wedges too, and after seeing the difference in spin from fresh grooves, I am glad I have something to protect them.

Clubs are expensive, so I think treating them well and protecting them is a wise decision.

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

I remember getting teased a bit by my dads golf partner Kevin about having head covers on my irons as a kid. I was thinking in my head, really ya JA!

Here's my take on why I am making headcovers for all of my irons, wedges, and utility clubs.

Disclaimer: I currently do not have iron covers, and I mostly ride in a cart. This year my goal is to walk 75% of the time.

First: It is an investment. You spend $$$ on these little pieces of steel.

Second: That sound of club faces clacking together down the fairway makes me cringe. There are grooves on those things!!!

Third: Nothing makes me more angry than a chip in the top of my putter, driver, etc.

I got that 712u last year and it is forged. Wow, it took a beating. So this year it will be rocking a lost sock till I get the head covers made.

I am looking to purchase the Cobra King LTD's very soon. That's a $1200 investment for me, pretty good chunk of cash considering my truck was only $3000. If they get beat by cart traffic I would be a little upset.

My current gamers are cast and they still take a beating. Even if my new set is cast I will be putting the head covers on them, as I plan to have them for a while.

Wedges... these things give the second most entertainment in the bag if you ask me. Nothing cooler than executing a wedge shot that stops, spins, and zips a cross the green. Why let those faces get beat up?

Putter is obvious to me. Cover is a must.

My 52° TM wedge has a massive dent in the face from one outing in a cart.

What do you all think?

Would you rock some head covers on your irons and wedges after reading this?

- Al

I have all my irons in neoprene covers. They are ragged now. They have been in the covers since I bought them(Nike Pro Combos) and they look really good for their age. Now if local courses will remove the ROCKS from sand traps, I'll be happy!

Well, none of the pros do it (cover their irons or wedges), even though their caddies could do it for them during some of that standing around time.

Advertisement for their brand. And they can afford to replace clubs... I hope.

Walking yeah, no covers for me. In a cart, for sure.

- Al

Just order some blue/white iron covers to protect my new Hogans.....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71yGWsgCHrL._SX522_.jpg

Will use them for transport only.....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Adds to Slow play and not my cup of tea, just my 2 cents, if you like them rock them.

Slow players are slow regardless of head covers. It takes a couple of seconds to put on and take off covers. There are boat loads of reasons not to use the head covers slow play is not really one of them.

Slow players are slow regardless of head covers. It takes a couple of seconds to put on and take off covers. There are boat loads of reasons not to use the head covers slow play is not really one of them.

Have to disagree with you on this, on numerous occasions I've been stuck behind the guy who has to walk back to his cart, clean his clubs and put all his head covers back on the clubs he used on the hole, so yes to me it adds to slow play, and let me say again, this is just my 2 cents, agree with it or not, fine by me.

Question - being curious and not argumentative - to the guys who like the clank-clank-clank:

When you're hitting a shot .. tee, fairway, putt .. do you prefer quiet, or are you able to focus / tune out all background noise?

When I'm trying to hit, if there's​ a clank-clank-clank near me I get distracted too easily ...

When you are addressing your ball to hit a shot, why would you hear clank-clank-clank? Are your playing partners walking right near you when you are mid-swing? That would be a distraction and I'd ask them to please stand still if they are that close. Id hope they would already know that as that should be learned the first day a golfer sets foot on a golf course. Now, If it is someone walking down an adjacent fairway, then you do get distracted to easily.

There are certain sounds that I associate with the game of golf. Lawn mowers, birds, the "clack, clack, clack" rhythm of carrying your bag, and the sound of metal spikes on cement. The sound of metal spikes is now gone and I don't want to lose another audible reminder of the game.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

As a kid, I used to love three sounds...

1-the clickety clack of my steel cleats when walking on concrete

2-the clackety click of my irons in the bag on my shoulder as I walked the course

3-the muffled sound of the golf ball dropping into the hole

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Not a bad idea if you change iron sets often and you want max resale. I know I wouldn't pay what some people ask for, for clubs that have been beat to heck with chatter or wear on the face. I'm looking for deals!

I got a set because a coach told me to slow down my routine and it forced me to slow down. I don't feel bad it helps resale value.

Now that I got fit for all my clubs and I have a swing im happy with I don't use them anymore.

To each his/her own

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I use them and normally get done in about 3.5- 4 hours. No one ever waits on me for being slow. I too am a bit OCD and like my clubs to look good for as long as possible. I can care less about what golf purist think when they see me with my covers. Unless they are paying for my clubs then their opinion does not matter to me.

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

I know a few people that lose their shirts when it comes to iron covers. I don't really care what others choose to do but my friends that do use them tend to misplace one twice a round and we end up wasting time looking for them. I have also seen clubs put away wet that rusted after a rainy day on the course. For those two reasons alone I won't ever use them but my number 1 reason for passing on covers is your clubs are beautiful and iron covers in any form are quite ugly.

Driver:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 13 Degree
3 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 15 Degree
5 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 18 Degree
4th:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 22 Degree
5-P  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4
Gap:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Sand:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Lob:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Putter: Directed Force "Reno" Putter

I use headcovers on irons, primarily when I am traveling. Who know how much they throw out bags around when flying. Better to be safe than sorry! As for playing my covers stay on until I use the club, once I use the club the headcover comes off until the end of the round.

WITB: 

TM 2017 M1 440 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver X

TM 2016 M1 15* 3 Wood w/ Aldila Rogue Silver X

TM 2016 M2 4 Rescue Hybrid w/ Aldila Rogue Black S

TM PSi Tours P - 3i (One too many clubs :D ) w/ DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist SM6 60,56,52 w/ DG Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

TM Spider Tour Red

Titleist 14 way bag  :)  :)

As of now, I only have covers on my woods, hybrids and putter, but I also don't have $500+ irons in my bag so they can afford to be dinged up until I'm able to afford a better set. Woods, hybrids and especially putter are a must for me, though

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

Hi all, 6 yrs since I've last posted. 😉

I used to buy and sell irons so frequently that I tried iron covers in order to preserve their condition as much as possible.

I was annoyed by the extra action. Sure I do it with driver and woods, sometimes putter. But adding seven more into the mix bothered me.

Bought a Bennington Quiet Organizer, problem solved.

Although my buying and selling has all but ended, I stuck with the QO bags. On my third one now and my 10 years played (I think) mixed set of Mizuno MX200s and MP-52s still look great.

On to Apex CF-16s this season, safe within the slots of the QO.

Let me know how you like em

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bulldog - the covers came today and I like them! One small problem is that they are marked for right handed players (yes I'm a lefty). Not a big deal but if they were marked on both sides would have been great. Still at $20. They're a bargain and look much better than those twice the price at big box stores.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Bulldog - the covers came today and I like them! One small problem is that they are marked for right handed players (yes I'm a lefty). Not a big deal but if they were marked on both sides would have been great. Still at $20. They're a bargain and look much better than those twice the price at big box stores.

Oh and by the way I bought two sets ( the additional one is for my wife)

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Bulldog - those look better than the originals.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Now that I play my "old" 1979 Apex II's, 1980 MacGreger Muirfield irons by Jack Nicklaus, 1994 Titleist Tour Model irons, 1967 MacGregor VIP by Jack Nicklaus, 2000 Titleist 681's, 680's, 670's, 712 MB's, I have ONE set of covers for the set in the play bag. All others are safe in my collection of Tour bags purchased for club storage in my garage. I have invested a pretty penny in getting the clubs I wanted, so I now use covers on All 14 clubs. Heck, if I need to replace my Scotty Cameron Studio Select, that's $450 right there!

Hi Shankster,

I have been using head covers on all of my clubs ever since I purchased my custom built set. Heck, I even cover my DIY putter. I took some criticism at first, head covers make you play slower you know. Well to that I say, baaaaloney. The cover comes off as I walk up to the ball and goes into my back pocket, no extra time used. After the shot the club gets covered again. All done as I walk back to my bag. No wasted time. Now to the head covers. Look on Amazon, search for "face saver iron covers". These are not the stretchy neoprene type. These are a more ridged material. Each cover has a hosel clip that secures the cover to the club. My advise to you is to look at these, you will be surprised and pleased with the covers. The stretchy type may come off the club easily, but going on is another matter (in my opinion). My regular playing partner uses the neoprene type. Where it takes me all of (literally) 5 seconds total to remove and replace a cover, it takes my partner a couple minutes at least. There you have it. Use head covers. Oh, one last thing. The big white numbers on the black covers make identifying a club easier. Take dead aim.

I just got my new irons set yesterday. The preowned irons dinged up pretty bad. I compare to my razr X forged that I've been using for the last 30 rounds it has not a mark on it. I could only imagine the clack, clack, clack that contributed to those marks, Nuff said.

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

hey Shankster,, show off your handy work, leather head covers sound very interesting.

Truth is... I suck at sewing! I destroyed some perfectly good leather. Haha. Big turn over at work this summer, IF I get around to trying again I will definitely take you all along for the ride.

- Alan

Archived