Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Bandon Dunes ~ 16th Hole Best Short Par 4 in USA?

Bandon dunes has some amazing holes along the coast but the 16th is really unique. It's a risk reward drivable par 4. If your long you can drive it past the green into the beach where there really is no point of return, but short means you still have to deal with the beach on your second shot as well. The views are pretty amazing from every square inch of the hole!

http://www.thescratchlist.com/bandon-dunes.html

3.jpg2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

And it plays differently depending on the time of year and the wind direction...  Great hole..  I have driven it in the greenside pot bunker and made 8.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Been there done that. Bandon is a great place. Certainly different than most of us are accustomed to.

Everyone should go at least once.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

This and Arcadia Bluffs and Chamber are on que.

Skip Chambers, and go to Gamble Sands..  That might be more fun..  I played Chambers twice.  It's fine.  Won't make the trip to play it exclusively. 

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Another thing about Bandon besides the golf. They have great food and beverage. I think we ate something just about everyplace and it was all good. Breakfast, lunch, dinner.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

#10 at Riviera gets my vote

Played them both, and it's not close. 16 at Bandon is hands down the better hole.

The view from the tee on 16 at Bandon is something that you just cannot forget..  10 at Riv was memorable for different reasons, but not nearly as scenic.  

As far as shot values go, that 10th hole has to be played out to the left.  There is not another option for mere mortals unless you want to make a 12.

At Bandon's 16th, there are several ways to play the hole depending on skill level and wind. Makes it WAAAAY more fun in my mind.

The view from the tee on 16 at Bandon is something that you just cannot forget.. 10 at Riv was memorable for different reasons, but not nearly as scenic.

As far as shot values go, that 10th hole has to be played out to the left. There is not another option for mere mortals unless you want to make a 12.

At Bandon's 16th, there are several ways to play the hole depending on skill level and wind. Makes it WAAAAY more fun in my mind.

And how about the view off 17 tee box!? Maybe the best on the property!

The view from the tee on 16 at Bandon is something that you just cannot forget.. 10 at Riv was memorable for different reasons, but not nearly as scenic.

As far as shot values go, that 10th hole has to be played out to the left. There is not another option for mere mortals unless you want to make a 12.

The Tenth at Riviera is 300-315 from the member and blue tees, so I'm not sure that means going left is the only option off the tee for us amateurs. It still provides several options and avenues to the green, which is why it's considered one of the best short par 4's in the world.

The 16th at Bandon is scenic but the variety is commensurate with the weather conditions.

As far as great short par 4's in the US, you have Pine Valley 8, Augusta 3, Cypress Point 9, which are all very well regarded. Even Pebble Beach 4 is up there. Pacific Dunes 1 rivals it as well and that's on the same property.

Finally on Chambers Bay, I enjoyed it and would definitely travel there again to play. It is true links golf and the ground game there is a lot of fun. Many just remember the complaints about some of the greens from the US Open, but the course is very well done.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

The Tenth at Riviera is 300-315 from the member and blue tees, so I'm not sure that means going left is the only option off the tee for us amateurs. It still provides several options and avenues to the green, which is why it's considered one of the best short par 4's in the world.

The 16th at Bandon is scenic but the variety is commensurate with the weather conditions.

Yep, it's only 300-315 to a green that is literary 5 paces deep and domed and fast as hell. Most players I know miss that target with a sand wedge from 100 yards.

Don't get me wrong, I went right at the green with driver. Came up 10 yards short, wedged it over from the thick rough, did it again from the back, did it AGAIN from in front of the green.... and I don't want to talk about it anymore.

Here's one from my Bandon trip several years ago. Can't recall the hole. Might have been on Pacific?

bandon.jpg

The view from the tee on 16 at Bandon is something that you just cannot forget..  10 at Riv was memorable for different reasons, but not nearly as scenic.  

As far as shot values go, that 10th hole has to be played out to the left.  There is not another option for mere mortals unless you want to make a 12.

Is this the hole?  It was back in 2009 and I've slept since then.

IMG_1000.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Bandon dunes has some amazing holes along the coast but the 16th is really unique. It's a risk reward drivable par 4. If your long you can drive it past the green into the beach where there really is no point of return, but short means you still have to deal with the beach on your second shot as well. The views are pretty amazing from every square inch of the hole!

http://www.thescratchlist.com/bandon-dunes.html

attachicon.gif3.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpg

Easily one of my favorite holes that I've played. Love the bailout to the left and the opportunity to go for it in the right conditions. Just an amazing hole.

Sent from my VS987 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

Played them both, and it's not close. 16 at Bandon is hands down the better hole.

I've played neither but 10 at Riviera looks a bit contrived to me.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Skip Chambers, and go to Gamble Sands..  That might be more fun..  I played Chambers twice.  It's fine.  Won't make the trip to play it exclusively. 

You'd play Gamble over Chambers?? 

Played Gamble two years ago got a great deal through Campbells lodge in chelan.. Liked it alot, I think it's overpriced though.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

You'd play Gamble over Chambers?? 

Played Gamble two years ago got a great deal through Campbells lodge in chelan.. Liked it alot, I think it's overpriced though.. 

I'd have to make the trip to Gamble...  Chambers was fine.

I will reserve judgement until I have played both.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived