TESTERS WANTED! ×

Garmin approch S2 vs S4 and S6

Hey guys I have a Garmin approach S2 GPS watch. it's been a good tool out on the course. I'm wondering if I should be looking at upgrading to the more current models S4 or S6.

Is it actually worth spending the money to get the extra views of the greens and touch screen?

Would love to hear your opinions on them.

Thanks guys.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Not for me it wouldn't be. I don't use a watch currently but...

I do use a SkyCaddie handheld GPS. It does all sorts of fancy views of the fairways and green. I have never used any of that stuff. All I care about is Front, Middle, Back of greens. I use my LRF to get distances to other obstacles out on the course.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I hear ya, maybe that's the way to go as what I don't like about the watch is that if I go to a course I've never played I like to know the hole layout, yardages to certain points, green layouts ect.. which you don't get on the watches.

do you find your skycaddie accurate and helpful with these sort of things? Thanks

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

Like PlaidJacket, I have a SkyCaddie (SG5) and a laser (own a Bushnell and I am testing a Precision Pro NX7 Pro). It's nice to have the green layout just as a reference to as you can't see the green at times from the fairway (plus it keeps my general stats) . Downside is it is a paid yearly service. You can use a bunch of free apps out there too.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I have the Garmin Approach G8. Got it just a little while ago and have played about 4 rounds with it. Awesome device and Garmin never charges a yearly service fee. 

The only issue I have with it is that the touch screen is very sensitive. When in a cart its fine since i'll just leave it in a cup holder but walking it does get tiresome unlocking and locking it all the time. With that said, I hate golfing with a watch so I didn't even consider the S4 or S6. 

I have used a Garmin X40 for the past year.  Works great and nice size.  I used it for other activities as well - it's been my daily watch.  However, I just replaced it with a Garmin Fenix 5s - love it!

Spitzer RL150 Electric/Remote Push Cart

Driver: TaylorMade M2

Hybrids: TaylorMade(3-6)

Irons: TaylorMade(5-AW)

Putter: Odyssey Works #1

I would look at using some of the free apps but beoing Canadian and still using a blackbery the apps we get suck.. i'd switch phones but work pays for mine so that's not happening!

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

I use Garmin fenix3. Just like Approach watches, it shows front, middle and back of the greens which is fairly accurate. I compared it with Bushnell and a new cheaper TecTecTec ProV500 rangefinder. The only difference in yardage to the pin comes when they move the pin around the green. Watches or handheld devices are much easier to carry around. Mine is few years old and gives me 2-3 rounds on full GPS mode along with my daily activity tracking and other sports. Updating technology makes sense in case of new hardware and better GPS connection. Also, with the new S6, you can pair it with Garmin TruSwing sensor to capture metrics like swing tempo, speed, club-path measurements, critical club angles and more.

Driver: RH  M2 460 10.5° Phenom RIP 65 S -Flex
Fairway Woods: RH M2 3-Wood 15° TaylorMade M2 REAX 65 S-Flex
Hybrid: RH M2 3 Rescue 19° TaylorMade M2 REAX 75 S-Flex 
Irons: RH  i200 4-PW,UW, Orange color  code with AWT 2.0 S-Flex and 5L-Aqua Grips

Wedges: RH    MD 3 Milled Matte Black 54°/10° and 58°/09°- S Grind with True Temper Dynamic Gold Steel and Lamkin UTx Acid Green Grips

Putter: RH TaylorMade Daytona Ghost Tour Black w/SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0

Archived