TESTERS WANTED! ×

I had a "Stack and Tilt" experience

I went to a local golf store today (I hadn't discovered it until today...its in the rich neighborhood, lol). I decided I wanted to use their hitting net to hit the S57's again...I am in love, but thats not my point here...

I saw that they had a sensor hooked up to a computer that showed the distance of the ball, ball speed, and RPM of speed. Pretty cool to me, I have never had a chance to use one. So I hit a few and the 7 iron was showing as traveling about 150 yards which is a little short of what I usually hit it. It showed up several times so I think the machine was just a little short on its yardages. I wanted to try this whole Stack and Tilt thing that everyone is talking about. I watched a few videos and I got the basic idea. I stepped up to the ball and swung with S&T as best I knew and hit 3 shots like that. Each showed as going ~174 yards. I was blown away. Not only did it feel better, but I was adding an apparent 15 yards to my club.

So whats the deal? I knew a few pro's had adopted this swing, but I didn't really believe in it until today. I admit I don't think I implemented the full S&T method, but I swung as close to it as I knew how. I am going to try it out at the range tomorrow.

My mind is blown. I just needed to get it off my chest!

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

I bought the book and tried the s@t method the best i could.I too noticed my yardages jump.I also was hitting my irons as crisply as I ever have.The problem I had was I just couldnt hit driver and woods with it consistantly.Now I use parts of s@t as it is too hard to use one swing for irons and another for woods.I plan to work on it over the winter to try to get it down better.Try it,I really believe in it.I have read there are instructors around the country that teach it.Unforunatly not around here. My opinion is it is a very simple ,very repeatable swing that would really help someone like me who struggles with iron play,especially the longer irons. There is a wealth of info on the net (youtube).I have noticed some of the pros (weir,baddely) have gone away from the swing,but I still believe in it.It has really improved my ballstriking.

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

I went to a local golf store today (I hadn't discovered it until today...its in the rich neighborhood, lol). I decided I wanted to use their hitting net to hit the S57's again...I am in love, but thats not my point here...

I saw that they had a sensor hooked up to a computer that showed the distance of the ball, ball speed, and RPM of speed. Pretty cool to me, I have never had a chance to use one. So I hit a few and the 7 iron was showing as traveling about 150 yards which is a little short of what I usually hit it. It showed up several times so I think the machine was just a little short on its yardages. I wanted to try this whole Stack and Tilt thing that everyone is talking about. I watched a few videos and I got the basic idea. I stepped up to the ball and swung with S&T as best I knew and hit 3 shots like that. Each showed as going ~174 yards. I was blown away. Not only did it feel better, but I was adding an apparent 15 yards to my club.

So whats the deal? I knew a few pro's had adopted this swing, but I didn't really believe in it until today. I admit I don't think I implemented the full S&T method, but I swung as close to it as I knew how. I am going to try it out at the range tomorrow.

My mind is blown. I just needed to get it off my chest!

Warning: I am not a pro nor a gifted amateur teacher, but do have some experience with S & T and friends who have tried it.

First, I would NOT place too much emphasis on an indoor launch monitor unless it is a Trackman or third-generation Flightscope. There is a lot a crap out there, especially Zelocity and first generation Flightscope.

Second, when noting iron distances do not get too excited. IMHO the S&T swing is very good for eliminating clubhead throwaway, and getting good impact hands. What you may be observing is simply eliminating "the flip," or you may simply be closing your clubface and turning your 7-iron into a five-iron. You need to provide backspin rates, ball apogee, AoA, etc., before you give launch monitor data a lot of consideration. The drawback is that it is a swing that tends to have a far more vertical swing plane which makes executing the longer clubs more challenging and for me personally, a fine line for me to S&T versus reverse pivot.

Finally, if Manavs does not know of a good pro in the area (you might want to define your geography a little more) check out this forum and ask for help. You will at least find a teacher who is at least interested in becoming a better instructor and is familiar with S&T, even if he does not advocate said swing. http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/golfing-discussions/

I suggest you proceed with caution.

I went to the range today and hit ~250 balls using S&T. I had some issues pulling/hooking it, but worked it out realizing I was either not keeping my head down or not getting my hips through. It made a HUGE difference on every club except my 3 and 4 irons, which I couldn't seem to not hit fat. I have always had a problem with hitting the ball thin or just not striking it well in general. Using some of the S&T methods I was able to pull up a little turf with every shot in the right places relative to the ball.

After 250 shots, I have made my final evaluation: It works. BUT I sense a very real danger of it becoming exaggerated and causing disasterous problems...in order to fully adopt the swing it will take REPETITION with the CORRECT swing to form muscle memory. Without it, you'll start screwing yourself up badly. The best thing about this method is that it is extremely repeatable. You know exactly what you're supposed to be doing and feeling on every part of the swing, and when you do something wrong you certainly pay for it and you can fix whatever it is on the next swing.

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

Sorry to butt in...

It's great that you've found something that 'feels' like it's making a difference but you may want to have someone check exactly what you're doing is 'correct' incase, as you say, you start screwing yourself up badly!

Remember the quote - "Feel and real are rarely the same" ;)

Good luch with it.....

"The more I practice the luckier I get" - Gary Player

R1, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
RBZ, 14.5, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
R11 17 & 22 Rescues, Motore F3 S flex
Rocketbladez Tour irons, 5 - PW,
ATV 50,54,Tour preferred 58 wedges
Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

Archived