TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pebble Beach Trip

golfpar112

Hello Friends,

I booked my round at Pebble Beach for May 25th. For anyone who has played it do you have any tips on your trips. Things you wish you knew before you went? other courses to play in the area? Thanks for the help.

Mike

Hello Friends,

I booked my round at Pebble Beach for May 25th. For anyone who has played it do you have any tips on your trips. Things you wish you knew before you went? other courses to play in the area? Thanks for the help.

Mike

Played it for the first time last fall - best advice is walk the course, soak it all in, take pictures and - most importantly - listen to your caddie. They know the greens and will help you immensely. The looper is worth the money.

Cherish the experience and while you're playing remember all the shots and all the great tourneys played there. It really is an emotional experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The gift shop is stupid expensive. Wish I wasn't so cheap. Worth at least a towel or something.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

The gift shop is stupid expensive. Wish I wasn't so cheap. Worth at least a towel or something.

I left with head covers for my driver and putter. And some ball markers. And a valuables bag.

And this lamp...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I've never been. But Barbajo's advice sound like advice I'd take when I do get the chance someday.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Played it for the first time last fall - best advice is walk the course, soak it all in, take pictures and - most importantly - listen to your caddie. They know the greens and will help you immensely. The looper is worth the money.

Cherish the experience and while you're playing remember all the shots and all the great tourneys played there. It really is an emotional experience.

+1 on the walking the course.  If they put you in a cart it is cart path only so have the caddy tend to the cart.  I walked the course and had the caddy move the cart and pull clubs for me.  Walking the course was just a great experience. 

Listen to your caddy, especially on the greens.  My caddy easily saved me two shots a side with his reads on the greens.

Have lunch in the pub and go out to the patio at The Bench and have a drink.  Try later afternoon for The Bench as the bag pipers are exceptional.

Go to the pro shop after your round and use the PC that lets you print a scorecard for the day.  Really easy to use and a nice keepsake....best of all it is free.  So is the nice bag tag that they give you after your round on the 18th green.  (I understand it is built into the price of the round so essentially it is no extra cost)

Take pictures and don't hesitate to ask the caddy to take pictures of you on the course.  They get asked all the time and are happy to do it so long as it is not holding up play.  My caddy snapped a great pic of me hitting my second shot on 18 and I have it framed at home.

I went for the first time last October and looking forward to going again this year if I get invited back as a speaker at the same "conference."

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I've never been. But Barbajo's advice sound like advice I'd take when I do get the chance someday.

Sounds like a buddy's trip ;)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Get a sandwich at Bruno's Market and Deli in Carmel.  Eat it in the park across the street.

Totally worth it..  

And Cottage Of Sweets....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Played it a long time ago on my honeymoon. Left my new wedding ring in the club rental bag. Don't do that! As barbajo says take it all in. Play the appropriate tees so

You can enjoy the course

Definitely walk if you can, listen to your caddy on putting lines, let them guide you on where to put the driver away. Personal tip for those not great with heights- keep it a little left on 8. You can look back at the cliff from down below after you walk around.

If you get the chance to play Spanish or Spyglass, you can't go wrong with either. Spanish is shorter and trickier but interesting and seaside for much of it. Spyglass is a ball strikers dream, particularly if you're long off the tee.

I think it's the greatest course of the 3, though Pebble has it's stretch of holes unlike any other in the world.

Give yourself plenty of warm up time as the range is up the hill a shuttle ride away from the PB first tee. There is no range at Spanish but a large putting green and decent pitching area. Spy has its own range.

Forget about an umbrella. If it rains the way it can all an umbrella will do is get in the way. Take your gear and rain gloves and embrace the elements.

Congrats and have a great time!

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

One of our golf buddies just got back with his Dad and Brother, three rounds , Spy Glass, Another and Pebble Beach......stayed at the Hilton, cost including airfare from Tampa.......$3,200 per person!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

if you get a chance, head up the highway about an hour or so and play Pasatiempo - great Alistair McKenzie course. His house is on the 4th fairway - it hit it with an errant 4-iron. Must have angered the Golf Gods because I haven't his a decent 4-iron since.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I agere with others that walking and taking a caddie is a must. I have been a few times and only thing I regret every time is not buying more stuff from the well stocked shops

Lived in Monterey for a few years and played most of the courses there sans Cypress. Pebble, just enjoy it. Get a caddy, cart path only anyway, and don't expect too much. Not a very difficult track, but the beauty and experience can be a lot to take in your first time out. If you have high expectations on playing well can limit your enjoyment.

Tons of options around the area. If you are heading out with a group of people, join the Dukes Club. You don't get anything at pebble, but serious discounts at Spy, Spanish and del monte (50% ish) for a group of 4. The upfront cost is high, $400 ish, but you save it immediately if you play Spanish or Spyglass with a 4, and you get free rounds at del monte which is a fun tuneup for the big boys.

Depending on how long you are there, joining the NCGA isn't a bad call. Serious discounts at poppy hills. Been a while so not sure how much it is these days.

Golf now usually has deals at Bayonet/Blackhorse. Used to be a military facility, but PGA quality remodels and great/difficult tracks. Q school used to play Bayonet and it has hosted the Safeway open I think. Bayonet is the better of the 2 but it's a beast.

Pasa Tiempo is in Santa Cruz and is a must play. MacKenzie's home course. Just spectacular.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions and enjoy. Love it there, golfing heaven.

https://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/del-monte-golf-course/membership/

• 3 months later...

DJH - you hit the nail on the head- covered all the great loops in the area- of course, if there is time, head up to SF (2 hour drive) take highway 1 and stop at Half Moon Bay (2 great courses at Ritz Carlton there), play TPC Harding, Lincoln Park and Presidio.  Food wise, stop at the Basque Cultural Center in South SF, open Tues-Sun for lunch and dinner- great food at 1/4 the price of most SF restaurants-

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Archived