Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putts per Hole?

Shankster

Just played 18 for the first time since September, I thought I was horrible at putting, and I'm not much of a stat man. But I averaged 1.9 putts per hole. And I'm using an old Cobra 002 Blade putter. It is the best thing since sliced bread.

What's yer averages?

- Al

I'm at 1.7 currently - greens still coming back from aerating though... been around 1.5-1.6 when it's rolling good.

Anything under 2 and you're saving strokes vs. par

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Putts per hole is very misleading when it comes to stats. I can miss 18 greens and have an average putts per round well below 2 but that doesn't mean I putted well, it means I chipped well. I don't keep track of any kind of putts per round stats

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Id say I average 1 3 putt per round. Rest 2s and 1s. As kor said, this is a pretty misleading since you can putt from just off the green and tap in for 1 putt.

Sent from my VS987 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

I agree that it's not a solid number, but a lot of variables that lead to it.

And on the flip side, I've chipped in to 1 or 2 feet, then missed the easy tap-in anyway! :)

All numbers aside, I think this is a good representation of confidence with the putter. Confidence is what shankster has been looking for, and it sounds like he found it - no harm in that.

Well my first round since getting back into golf I had 41 putts. Got a short game lesson. Went out Friday afternoon had 34 putts so don't have an average yet but I think I'm trending in the right direction.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I did have long approaches today. But when I end up off the green. I'm deadly with my wedge. 1-2' or it's not good enough. But when I stuck a 7 iron 50' right on the green I 4 putted. I woulda been better off chipping it.

I did have long approaches today. But when I end up off the green. I'm deadly with my wedge. 1-2' or it's not good enough. But when I stuck a 7 iron 50' right on the green I 4 putted. I woulda been better off chipping it.

Wish I could stick my wedges like that

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

But then again I drained a 30' putt. And one of the par 3's I had a 15/20' putt that I hit to an inch. The hole location on my 4 putt was stupid. Back right corner, about 2' from the fringe, impossible to go after the putt and keep it on the green.

I keep stats on putts, GIR, Fairways.

As some have said it's misleading, even if you putt from the frog grass, does not

Count as a putt.

In saying that 5 rounds this year avg is 1.6

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I used to not care about putting and it would ruin my game. But I'm focusing more. First time out really for 18 in 7 months!! Wow. That's a long time. Played once early in the month. But wrath of old man winter sucks.

I practice religiously daily with them in my back yard.

- Al

+1 best way to lower your handicap.

What's in the Bag:

I agree that it's not a solid number, but a lot of variables that lead to it.

And on the flip side, I've chipped in to 1 or 2 feet, then missed the easy tap-in anyway! :)

All numbers aside, I think this is a good representation of confidence with the putter. Confidence is what shankster has been looking for, and it sounds like he found it - no harm in that.

Agreed.

What's in the Bag:

Long game was my enemy yesterday. I didn't track 3 holes of Putts but they were 1 putts. So it would drop my average to 1.7, I'll take that. All summer long.

Just have some work to do with the ugly stick and I'll be all set.

I think that we need to distinguish between putts per green and putts per green in regulation.

With putts per green, this should be lower than 2. I am at 1.54 putts per green.

Putts per green in regulation I am higher and I think everyone will be. I am at 1.71 putts per green in regulation.

These are a snap shot of my last 5 round averages putting and reflects going to the spider putter. I think both are decent averages. Things to take into account are the size of the greens and these are all on the same course. We have very small greens and I know them well. It will be interesting to see how the numbers change in tournament play this summer.

Anything under 2 putts per green in regulation is where you want to be.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I agree with but I don't think it really matters.

If you get to GIR or not. If you 3-4 putt it's no good not matter how many times you look at it.

I can miss a GIR and still chip close enough to save par.

I can also get there in 5 and still 2 or 3 putt.

In fact I used to lay up on purpose so I could get a chance with my wedge over the putter. I'd rather have a 20 yard chip over a 20' putt.

Most people seem to be the opposite - I see a lot of putts from way off the green... guys that are afraid to skull a wedge 150 yards, so they choose to 4-putt! ;)

http://www.instagram.com/libertyballmarkers

http://www.ebay.com/usr/libertyballmarkers

Most people seem to be the opposite - I see a lot of putts from way off the green... guys that are afraid to skull a wedge 150 yards, so they choose to 4-putt! ;)

I played an entire scramble last year with no putter. I'm not doing that again. Haha

- Al

Just played 18 for the first time since September, I thought I was horrible at putting, and I'm not much of a stat man. But I averaged 1.9 putts per hole. And I'm using an old Cobra 002 Blade putter. It is the best thing since sliced bread.

What's yer averages?

- Al

It's more about how many greens you hit. You hit 18 greens and average 1.9 putts that's a hell of a round. 

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

In my opinion, putting stats are such a relative statistic. If there is one thing about golf, it's that the only statistic that can tell the story is your score (and that's a strong if). Think about average putts for one second, now think about how you could average over 2 putts per hole and shoot under par if you hit 18 greens and reach par 5s in 2. Or think about how you could have a really low average putts per round but not hit many greens. Average putts per round is related to proximity to the hole, GIR, etc.. What if a guy comes into the clubhouse and says man I hit 14 fairways today. Then you ask him how his round went and he says that his irons weren't hot and he couldn't putt.  

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I'm not scared to skull a wedge... In fact I did it four times during yesterday's round.. Ha ha ha 😂.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I've never been big on putts per round numbers especially at the weekend golfer level, on tour it probably means something. What I read above In Jacustoms reply about putts per GIR and putts per NOT GIR is more of a true represeentstion of how you putt. If I miss a green I want my ppr to be less than 1.5, but on GIR I want it to be less than 2, and I want my average to be between 1.8 and 1.9. My problem is that currently my averages are more like 1.8, 2.3 and average of over 2 by a little bit. I probably have anywhere from 3-6 shots lost directly on or around the greens. chipping stats and putting stats together with GIR make sense to me. How often do I get up and down when off the green, and how many times do I three putt.

According to the grint stats I average 1.8 per hole. 2.0 when I hit the green and 1.7 when I don't. My problem isn't putting it is better iron play to hit more greens and get closer to the hole. Also short iron play to get up and down in 2 stokes instead of 2+ like I currently do

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Here is my issue, last weekend I hit 12-14 fairways, and I hit 4-18 greens, and I had 2 birdies. I miss way too many greens, most of the missed greens are with 8,9,PW,GW, sometimes I would rather have 5 iron or hybrid in to the green instead of the shorter club. So I'm with some of you, I need to hit more greens which will help my overall putting stats.

I am going to "attack" more greens now that I feel better using the flat stick. Like i said earlier in this post, I used to lay up so I'd have a chip to the hole. Milwaukee will be my test site.

Archived