Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Lazy Hands With Driver

So I think I have an issues with my driver. It's the only club I had problems with yesterday. I felt like I was holding off the shot, and I probably was. But on the range they were doing exactly what I told them to do: draw, fade, low, moon...

So what gives? Why do I feel the need to leave the club face wide open with my driver?

Anyone else lazy with their hands?

I feel like if I go 95% or better with the driver the results are better. Smacked one 326 with a 10 yard fade "on purpose" the fade is my go to shot. Should I just hit that shot with it, and keep the 2 Wood for draws off the tee when needed?

Why are my hands lazy? Or could it be something else? I'm working on clearing my hips more.

Grip? Face alignment?

Help...!

- Al

It could be one of a hundred things.

When your neck hurts, it could be your hips are out of alignment, or maybe the lumbar spine is off, possibly a bulging disk or twist vertebrae in the mid spine. Maybe it really is all just in the neck. Chances are you won't find out until you get in front of a professional.

Similar situation here with your hands. Maybe your hands are leaving it open, maybe you focusing on clearing your hips is really just causing you to bump the hips in stead of clear, causing the hands to drop and face to open. Maybe your pulling over the top and not realizing when you're "feeling lazy". Tough to gauge without video to analyze.

If it's a big pervasive issue, I would suggest getting a lesson or two. A good teaching pro is worth every penny if you're serious about the game.

I would be wary of swing advice via text posts only. Too many moving parts in a swing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

If anything it could just be a lack of focus on the tee. Maybe look at your pre-shot routine and try to incorporate an over exaggerated swing that makes you feel like the club is doing what you want it to. I started noticing Rickie really over exaggerating his practice swings and gave it a shot. No matter what my swing thought is, I really stress it in my pre-shot. Then its just stepping up to the tee and committing. Sounds easy enough but gives you a lot of confidence and I've noticed the big miss really being eliminated for me. Hope that made sense. 

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

If you hit a fade over 300 yards, why the hell would you ever try to hit anything else?

It's when I don't want it to happen it happens... I have the worst problem with dead straight holes. I'd rather have to craft shots. All the par 5's on my course are dead straight, and at 300+ I should be able to get there in 2. But I end up OB or somewhere else just as fun. Throw a dog leg on it and I'm all set. Either way.

And that's way long for me. I'm around 280 average. But I did hit one 380 last year with a little wind help. That was frickin cool. Turned a 570 yard hole into manageable real quick.

- Al

You need to learn how embrace/play to your fade rather than trying to fight it.  It is your natural ball flight, so you should work with it unless you want to overhaul your entire swing to hit a draw - which could take months depending on how good your teacher is and how much range time you can put in.

Al, that's a focus thing. Most players will say a straight hole is the hardest. Here's the thing though, play away from trouble. If you have a straight hole though, set your club face at the middle of the fairway, or left center. Then set your feet and shoulders at about 5 yards into the rough. Swing at 85-90% and it will fade bro (it has to).

Work on it on the practice tee too. Force yourself to learn to hit it on command.

Cheers

Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

If your club face is wide open at impact and your hitting a right ball it's not really because your hands are just lazy. Other than at impact your hands aren't really turning/twisting the club.

I have this problem with the driver too. My bad miss is wide open face with a huge spinning block push slice cut. It's so far off the course. I have two issues that cause this. I'm clearing out too soon and then my hands are way behind my body or my hands get very vertical at impact. Both leave the face wide open. I hit the hell out of it on the range and and then it shows up on the course. No telling how many times I've hit 20 drivers dead straight on the range before walking up to the first tee and blocking one dead right.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

• SPY VIP

You need to learn how embrace/play to your fade rather than trying to fight it. It is your natural ball flight, so you should work with it unless you want to overhaul your entire swing to hit a draw - which could take months depending on how good your teacher is and how much range time you can put in.

This

I was working on this with my buddy who's a 2 cap today. He gets to 3 holes (straight ones) on our course and always sets up on right side of box (lefty) and blocks em while trying to hit straight down the middle. Today I put him as far left on tee as possible and aiming right rough across hole (at a bunker or tree) and he was putting his natural fade middle of the fairway. Embrace what you know.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

This

I was working on this with my buddy who's a 2 cap today. He gets to 3 holes (straight ones) on our course and always sets up on right side of box (lefty) and blocks em while trying to hit straight down the middle. Today I put him as far left on tee as possible and aiming right rough across hole (at a bunker or tree) and he was putting his natural fade middle of the fairway. Embrace what you know.

I "usually" set up for my fade. I'm forgetful some times. Going out again on Tuesday. We'll see how it goes.

- Al

Can't wait to demo the new stuff on Tuesday. Going get fit up for a Ping Driver, see what happens. Going to hit all of the brands, but mostly looking forward to the Ping. Going to be hard to explain to the wife that "I gotta have that!"

Lots of going to's. Need a thesaurus.

Can't wait to demo the new stuff on Tuesday. Going get fit up for a Ping Driver, see what happens. Going to hit all of the brands, but mostly looking forward to the Ping. Going to be hard to explain to the wife that "I gotta have that!"

Lots of going to's. Need a thesaurus.

My wife stole my Ping driver! I think we may be sporting two in the family before long..

Update: A snake crawled into my bag

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Archived