Sign in to follow this  
grad2004cca

Aligning Ball on tee box?

Today's balls come with a manufacturer branded alignment aid on them. I use a ball marker tool and a sharpie to make the standard line bolder and cover half of the ball. I know it's legal to use this line on the green, but I've begun to use this when teeing up my ball so I can line up my tee shot. It is helping a lot and helping me square the club head to my target line. Is this USGA/R&A legal? Can provide a picture for more detail if needed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Rule 6-5

Lines or Arrows Used to mark Golf Ball

Q. It is recommended placing an identification mark on my golf ball. May I use a line or an arrow that will also help me align the club face?

A. Rules 6-5 and 12-2 state that each player should put an identification mark on his ball. Thus, the Rules do not limit the type of markings a player may put on the ball (i.e. arrows, lines, words, etc). Additionally, there is no penalty for using such lines to "line up" prior to a stroke on the putting green or any place else on the course.

- Al

• Like 5

Rule 6-5

Lines or Arrows Used to mark Golf Ball

Q. It is recommended placing an identification mark on my golf ball. May I use a line or an arrow that will also help me align the club face?

A. Rules 6-5 and 12-2 state that each player should put an identification mark on his ball. Thus, the Rules do not limit the type of markings a player may put on the ball (i.e. arrows, lines, words, etc). Additionally, there is no penalty for using such lines to "line up" prior to a stroke on the putting green or any place else on the course.

- Al

Beat me to it!

Just don't take too long lining it up!

• Like 3

Thank you Shankster and Peaksy68. Second part of this question. On the green you can adjust the line of your ball and take your hand off of the ball as long as your marker is still in place. If you step off of your ball and it is not on your intended line you can adjust it and then remove your marker. Is this the same for a ball on the tee i.e. Tee your ball align it, step back to check intended line, adjust your line, then address the ball for your tee shot?

• Like 1

As long as you are not making a "golf" move at the ball your all good. Adjust as many times as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

But I'd recommend going with your gut on it. Line it up, check your line. And let er Rip with tee shots.

• Like 1

They also have a USGA rule book app. I don't mind answering the questions. But if you're starting to take the game seriously it might be worth the download. It's free.

Good luck on your quest!

• Like 1

Thanks Shankster. I've got the paper version in my golf bag but honestly it feels like I'm trying to read the Old Testament in the KJV version of the Bible. I wish they'd make one with some applicable real world scenarios attached.

• Like 4

Thanks Shankster. I've got the paper version in my golf bag but honestly it feels like I'm trying to read the Old Testament in the KJV version of the Bible. I wish they'd make one with some applicable real world scenarios attached.

Well it sounds like they'll be changing for the better soon. You're welcome my friend. Glad I could be of assistance.

- Al

Thank you Shankster and Peaksy68. Second part of this question. On the green you can adjust the line of your ball and take your hand off of the ball as long as your marker is still in place. If you step off of your ball and it is not on your intended line you can adjust it and then remove your marker. Is this the same for a ball on the tee i.e. Tee your ball align it, step back to check intended line, adjust your line, then address the ball for your tee shot?

You can adjust as many times as you want too as long as your marker is down. When you pull the marker out then the ball is now in play. Now you can remark and adjust again. On the tee box a ball is not in play until a player makes a stroke at it and hits it

• Like 2

LOL that is a good way to put it I have always said it would take 3 Philadelphia Lawyers and 3 Baptist preachers to properly define the rule book. Funny the rule book is like the Law it even has a USGA decisions book which is seperate and as thick as a family Bible over decisions made on the rules. Sorta like a Supreme Court Decisions book. Generally I will step out and say 95% of the golfing population plays by their own rules and could give two hoots less about the USGA,R&A or the PGA for that matter. But I think it is fine that you are trying to learn the proper rules. The USGA is FINALLY working at a snail's pace on simplifying the rules

• Like 3

They also have a USGA rule book app. I don't mind answering the questions. But if you're starting to take the game seriously it might be worth the download. It's free.

Good luck on your quest!

Also free to order a rule book online on the USGA website, just pay shipping. Our high school team was required to have the latest edition every year and it would be like $5 for shipping.

Also free to order a rule book online on the USGA website, just pay shipping. Our high school team was required to have the latest edition every year and it would be like $5 for shipping.

Or simply join the USGA.  Every year they send you a new copy of the rules, along with a hat and a ball marker from that year's US Open.  

• Like 3

I don't use any lines. I have no problem with other people using them. Unless you mark your ball for a tap-in and line the ball up! Nothing annoys me more than waiting to putt and someone is lining the line on their ball up for a foot-long putt!

• Like 1

Don't use alignment aids on the ball, I like to look at a clean white ball before every hit or putt. I usually pick out something in front of my ball to align myself to the hole or direction I am aiming. I don't mind others using them during our rounds, but you best not back off 3 or 4 times to re-align it only to miss read the line. Now that's annoying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

I do actually line up my ball on the tee box, but I don't take any longer than I would if I didn't line it up so no one I play with even notices

I have always lined the brand name up on the tee. I have never used lines as a mark - I just use the brand name. It works fine for me

• Like 2

I am with you on this. I use the ball alignment aid for putting and driving.

I am with you on this. I use the ball alignment aid for putting and driving.

Never thought about using it on the tee box!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2