TESTERS WANTED! ×

Aligning Ball on tee box?

grad2004cca

Today's balls come with a manufacturer branded alignment aid on them. I use a ball marker tool and a sharpie to make the standard line bolder and cover half of the ball. I know it's legal to use this line on the green, but I've begun to use this when teeing up my ball so I can line up my tee shot. It is helping a lot and helping me square the club head to my target line. Is this USGA/R&A legal? Can provide a picture for more detail if needed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small: King F8 9 deg w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 stiff shaft

:callaway-small:  XR 16 3 Wood S Flex

:cobra-small:  Fly-Z 3/4 Hybrid S Flex

:cobra-small:  King F7 One Length 5-PW S Flex

:cleveland-small:  CBX Wedges 50, 54, & 58 deg wedge flex

:cameron-small:  Select GoLo Putter

Rule 6-5

Lines or Arrows Used to mark Golf Ball

Q. It is recommended placing an identification mark on my golf ball. May I use a line or an arrow that will also help me align the club face?

A. Rules 6-5 and 12-2 state that each player should put an identification mark on his ball. Thus, the Rules do not limit the type of markings a player may put on the ball (i.e. arrows, lines, words, etc). Additionally, there is no penalty for using such lines to "line up" prior to a stroke on the putting green or any place else on the course.

- Al

Rule 6-5

Lines or Arrows Used to mark Golf Ball

Q. It is recommended placing an identification mark on my golf ball. May I use a line or an arrow that will also help me align the club face?

A. Rules 6-5 and 12-2 state that each player should put an identification mark on his ball. Thus, the Rules do not limit the type of markings a player may put on the ball (i.e. arrows, lines, words, etc). Additionally, there is no penalty for using such lines to "line up" prior to a stroke on the putting green or any place else on the course.

- Al

Beat me to it!

Just don't take too long lining it up!

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Thank you Shankster and Peaksy68. Second part of this question. On the green you can adjust the line of your ball and take your hand off of the ball as long as your marker is still in place. If you step off of your ball and it is not on your intended line you can adjust it and then remove your marker. Is this the same for a ball on the tee i.e. Tee your ball align it, step back to check intended line, adjust your line, then address the ball for your tee shot?

Thanks Shankster. I've got the paper version in my golf bag but honestly it feels like I'm trying to read the Old Testament in the KJV version of the Bible. I wish they'd make one with some applicable real world scenarios attached.

Thanks Shankster. I've got the paper version in my golf bag but honestly it feels like I'm trying to read the Old Testament in the KJV version of the Bible. I wish they'd make one with some applicable real world scenarios attached.

Well it sounds like they'll be changing for the better soon. You're welcome my friend. Glad I could be of assistance.

- Al

Thank you Shankster and Peaksy68. Second part of this question. On the green you can adjust the line of your ball and take your hand off of the ball as long as your marker is still in place. If you step off of your ball and it is not on your intended line you can adjust it and then remove your marker. Is this the same for a ball on the tee i.e. Tee your ball align it, step back to check intended line, adjust your line, then address the ball for your tee shot?

You can adjust as many times as you want too as long as your marker is down. When you pull the marker out then the ball is now in play. Now you can remark and adjust again. On the tee box a ball is not in play until a player makes a stroke at it and hits it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

LOL that is a good way to put it I have always said it would take 3 Philadelphia Lawyers and 3 Baptist preachers to properly define the rule book. Funny the rule book is like the Law it even has a USGA decisions book which is seperate and as thick as a family Bible over decisions made on the rules. Sorta like a Supreme Court Decisions book. Generally I will step out and say 95% of the golfing population plays by their own rules and could give two hoots less about the USGA,R&A or the PGA for that matter. But I think it is fine that you are trying to learn the proper rules. The USGA is FINALLY working at a snail's pace on simplifying the rules

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

They also have a USGA rule book app. I don't mind answering the questions. But if you're starting to take the game seriously it might be worth the download. It's free.

Good luck on your quest!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Also free to order a rule book online on the USGA website, just pay shipping. Our high school team was required to have the latest edition every year and it would be like $5 for shipping.

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

Also free to order a rule book online on the USGA website, just pay shipping. Our high school team was required to have the latest edition every year and it would be like $5 for shipping.

Or simply join the USGA.  Every year they send you a new copy of the rules, along with a hat and a ball marker from that year's US Open.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use any lines. I have no problem with other people using them. Unless you mark your ball for a tap-in and line the ball up! Nothing annoys me more than waiting to putt and someone is lining the line on their ball up for a foot-long putt!

Don't use alignment aids on the ball, I like to look at a clean white ball before every hit or putt. I usually pick out something in front of my ball to align myself to the hole or direction I am aiming. I don't mind others using them during our rounds, but you best not back off 3 or 4 times to re-align it only to miss read the line. Now that's annoying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I do actually line up my ball on the tee box, but I don't take any longer than I would if I didn't line it up so no one I play with even notices

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I have always lined the brand name up on the tee. I have never used lines as a mark - I just use the brand name. It works fine for me

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am with you on this. I use the ball alignment aid for putting and driving.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I am with you on this. I use the ball alignment aid for putting and driving.

Never thought about using it on the tee box!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

It's amazing how many tee boxes aim you at trouble.  When you use the alignment aid on a ball to point where you want to go, you can clearly see at address if you are aiming properly.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have always lined the brand name up on the tee. I have never used lines as a mark - I just use the brand name. It works fine for me

That is exactly like I do it on putts and on the tee

G

I'm trying to figure out how to line up my Truvis ball.

LOL that may be the 10 million dollar question there

G

• 1 year later...

I think everyone failed to stay on topic for the original question.

"May I tee up my ball so that an alignment aid shows me the direction of my desired shot?"

The only rule I know of is that you may NOT place something on the ground next to your ball before a shot. (Ie: Tee, Cigar, Golf club, etc...)

When I'm at the driving range I like teeing up with the white area of the ball facing me. However, after a few errant shots and I start placing the range ball with its stripes perpendicular to my target line. I see immediate results with ball striking and proper swing path.

I've been wanting to do this on the tee box, and recently marked one of my new balls with my putting alignment line rotated 90 degrees than normal. Meaning at impact my club face is not making impact on the logo of my ball. This actually goes against what some players do, which is to point the logo of their ball directly at the green/target.

I would say it SHOULD be illegal to use ball markings as tee alignments, but that just seems a little too picky. Like some mentioned in this thread, do it so fast that no one even notices.

So does anyone actually know the answer?

You can use the alignment aid or a line drawn on the ball when teeing up.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 5/20/2017 at 6:01 AM, Kenny B said:

It's amazing how many tee boxes aim you at trouble.  When you use the alignment aid on a ball to point where you want to go, you can clearly see at address if you are aiming properly.

which is why I usually tee it up a few feet behind the markers and with the left one out of my vision. Sometimes even taking 2 club lengths back on a par 3 where there are usually no divots and clean grass.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I only use a built-in alignment on a ball when putting. On the tee I just do things the old fashion way. Stand behind the ball, pick a spot closely in front of the ball and a distance secondary marker and let er rip. No rocket science. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On 5/19/2017 at 11:01 PM, Kenny B said:

It's amazing how many tee boxes aim you at trouble

No kidding.  This became a discussion among our groups this past winter. I counted the boxes at Desert Hills, Las Barancas, Mesa Del Sol, Yuma CC, and Coyote Wash whose alignment was anything but aligned with the fairway. At least a third of them at all these course were intended to create a problem.  A handful were actually quite humorous when you took time to really look at them... and most don't... at least the first time 😁.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/20/2019 at 3:50 PM, fixyurdivot said:

No kidding.  This became a discussion among our groups this past winter. I counted the boxes at Desert Hills, Las Barancas, Mesa Del Sol, Yuma CC, and Coyote Wash whose alignment was anything but aligned with the fairway. At least a third of them at all these course were intended to create a problem.  A handful were actually quite humorous when you took time to really look at them... and most don't... at least the first time 😁.

I can understand it if a tournament is being played, but for a muni on a weekend EVERY tee box should be aimed straight down the middle of the fairway!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

56 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I can understand it if a tournament is being played, but for a muni on a weekend EVERY tee box should be aimed straight down the middle of the fairway!!

I'd actually think of it the other way around.  For a tournament, special care should be taken to align the tee markers properly.  On a random day, I'm never surprised to find that an inexperienced member of the staff gets the markers pointed the wrong way.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia