Sign in to follow this  
grad2004cca

Aligning Ball on tee box?

It's amazing how many tee boxes aim you at trouble.  When you use the alignment aid on a ball to point where you want to go, you can clearly see at address if you are aiming properly.

• Like 4

I have always lined the brand name up on the tee. I have never used lines as a mark - I just use the brand name. It works fine for me

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That is exactly like I do it on putts and on the tee

I'm trying to figure out how to line up my Truvis ball.

LOL that may be the 10 million dollar question there

• Like 1

I think everyone failed to stay on topic for the original question.

"May I tee up my ball so that an alignment aid shows me the direction of my desired shot?"

The only rule I know of is that you may NOT place something on the ground next to your ball before a shot. (Ie: Tee, Cigar, Golf club, etc...)

When I'm at the driving range I like teeing up with the white area of the ball facing me. However, after a few errant shots and I start placing the range ball with its stripes perpendicular to my target line. I see immediate results with ball striking and proper swing path.

I've been wanting to do this on the tee box, and recently marked one of my new balls with my putting alignment line rotated 90 degrees than normal. Meaning at impact my club face is not making impact on the logo of my ball. This actually goes against what some players do, which is to point the logo of their ball directly at the green/target.

I would say it SHOULD be illegal to use ball markings as tee alignments, but that just seems a little too picky. Like some mentioned in this thread, do it so fast that no one even notices.

So does anyone actually know the answer?

On 5/20/2017 at 6:01 AM, Kenny B said:

It's amazing how many tee boxes aim you at trouble.  When you use the alignment aid on a ball to point where you want to go, you can clearly see at address if you are aiming properly.

which is why I usually tee it up a few feet behind the markers and with the left one out of my vision. Sometimes even taking 2 club lengths back on a par 3 where there are usually no divots and clean grass.

• Like 2

I only use a built-in alignment on a ball when putting. On the tee I just do things the old fashion way. Stand behind the ball, pick a spot closely in front of the ball and a distance secondary marker and let er rip. No rocket science. 

On 5/19/2017 at 11:01 PM, Kenny B said:

It's amazing how many tee boxes aim you at trouble

No kidding.  This became a discussion among our groups this past winter. I counted the boxes at Desert Hills, Las Barancas, Mesa Del Sol, Yuma CC, and Coyote Wash whose alignment was anything but aligned with the fairway. At least a third of them at all these course were intended to create a problem.  A handful were actually quite humorous when you took time to really look at them... and most don't... at least the first time 😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2019 at 3:50 PM, fixyurdivot said:

No kidding.  This became a discussion among our groups this past winter. I counted the boxes at Desert Hills, Las Barancas, Mesa Del Sol, Yuma CC, and Coyote Wash whose alignment was anything but aligned with the fairway. At least a third of them at all these course were intended to create a problem.  A handful were actually quite humorous when you took time to really look at them... and most don't... at least the first time 😁.

I can understand it if a tournament is being played, but for a muni on a weekend EVERY tee box should be aimed straight down the middle of the fairway!!

56 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I can understand it if a tournament is being played, but for a muni on a weekend EVERY tee box should be aimed straight down the middle of the fairway!!

I'd actually think of it the other way around.  For a tournament, special care should be taken to align the tee markers properly.  On a random day, I'm never surprised to find that an inexperienced member of the staff gets the markers pointed the wrong way.

24 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd actually think of it the other way around.  For a tournament, special care should be taken to align the tee markers properly.  On a random day, I'm never surprised to find that an inexperienced member of the staff gets the markers pointed the wrong way.

The members of the staff at my course are not inexperienced; they have been doing it for years.  They know exactly what they are doing.  The design of most teeing grounds aim you at features of the course, ponds, bunkers, big grassy mounds.  When the tee boxes are aligned with the teeing ground, they point to trouble.  Munis on the weekend should never have the boxes aligned anywhere but the middle of the fairway to speed up play.  Most inexperienced players do not even look to see where the tee boxes are aimed; even some experienced players don't!!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Oh, I'm not talking about just markers being skewed - more like the tee box is misaligned.

14 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Oh, I'm not talking about just markers being skewed - more like the tee box is misaligned.

Yeah, that can definitely be annoying.  On the other hand, the architect might do that in order to produce different angles when the hole is played from different distances.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, that can definitely be annoying.  On the other hand, the architect might do that in order to produce different angles when the hole is played from different distances.  

Probably.  A few of those I'm referring to are sneaky.  They are just subtle enough to not look real obvious but have those not paying attention headed into the weeds.