Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Pre-Round Warm Up Routine

Smalls1588

Didn't really know where to post, but was surfing the web and came across a series of videos showing various pros' warm up routines. I'm just curious as to what your warm up routines are? I normally like to head to the range first; I have a specific range routine I do. Half 56s, full 56s, PW, 8 iron, 4 iron, 3 wood, driver, then work on whatever I had been practicing on during the week. Then I like to chip and then round out with putting. But I guess I never have followed this super strictly. 

Do you have a strict routine you follow? Maybe a playlist? Superstitions? Post what you do to get ready for a round!

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

As you might imagine we've had something similar to this thread before and it's always a good one so thanks.

My warm up has gotten shorter on hitting balls and longer on stretching as I've gotten older. I've found doing that let's me still have some pop at the end of the round.

The guys at the club kid that I hit two or three balls, roll a putt and go. It's a bit more than that but not much.

Drink plenty of fluids starting with a Gatorade an hour before the round. Arrive at the course half an hour early. Park far from the bag drop. Walk to check in and get shoes on. Apply sunscreen, stretch on the range. Pull wedge and nine iron. Hit three or or four soft wedges, 3 full wedges, 3 full nine irons, 2 full hybrids in different directions, 2 full drivers in different directions, hit three chips, putt them out, hit a few long putts and arrive at the first tee ready to roll.

The only change I will make is if I'm not hitting driver on one I will hit one or two more shots with the club I'm hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

New course has a range. 10-20 chips, a few putts varying length. I'll run through s small bucket after I do some stretching, and few light practice swings.

I always start with my 8 iron, make 3 swings. Then move to SW and work my way through the bag.

Then end with the club I'm using on the first tee, and try to visualize the shot I want. And it pays off most of the time. I do this in 30-45 minutes before my tee time. Majority of that is at the chipping green.

But I'll be adding more 2-5 irons next time. Probably be an hour total.

I check which way my Ball is flying, usually a slight fade. There is a tree on the range that I use for my target, and make sure my ball starts left of it. Or left depending, I can work then all both ways, but me and that fade just seem to get along.

Last round was 30 minute warm up, took my time and still did 18 with the warm up in just over 3 hours. And played 2 balls.

My routine is generally get to the course about an hour early and hit pitches and chips for about 49 minutes and the use the last 20 for putting. If I am doing the pitches/chips on the range I will also add a few full swing wedges.

Nothing really complicated just trying to work on slow swings and getting the feel for the day

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Leave my house with enough time to get to the course 30 minutes early. Hit traffic ON A SUNDAY FOR SOME REASON!! Arrive 3 minutes before my tee time. Hit a putt. Stretch on the tee box. Make an 8 on number 1. A 7 on number 2 then finally I play golf 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I get to the course about 40 mins early. I put for 10-15 minutes first and then hit balls. I putt first because I don't want to get cold or tight, but I also want my first tee ball with the same rhythm as the range. I hit 56s 50%-85% swing then a couple PWs, 7iron, 4iron. Hybrid, Driver. And then based on the first hole whatever my tee ball would be so If it's 3 wood I'd swing that

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Leave my house with enough time to get to the course 30 minutes early. Hit traffic ON A SUNDAY FOR SOME REASON!! Arrive 3 minutes before my tee time. Hit a putt. Stretch on the tee box. Make an 8 on number 1. A 7 on number 2 then finally I play golf

Exactly this. It usually never fails.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I usually show up early, hit a few chips and putts for 15 to 20 minutes. Then just before teeing it up I'll take about 10 to 12 swings of the Orange Whip to try and groove my swing and stretch me out a little.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Show up probably an hour early, get a small bucket and hit some half wedges with some stretching in between each shot. After 10 or so I move up the bag a couple clubs at a time making full swings. Then go to the short game area. Hit a couple chips then putt out. Finally I'll putt from one part of the green to the fringe in different directions to try and get a feel for speed. Then head over to 1 and promptly duck hook my first tee shot OB....

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I keep a pretty consistent schedule for playing. Get to the club 90 minutes before tee off. Start with active stretching and something to warm up my legs. Then I go in order of putting, pitch shots, full shots, pitch shots, bunker (if there's one on practice area to get a feel for the sand type), then putt. Then check my bag for supplies and off to first tee.

Cheers

Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I normally get to the course an hour or so early. Get a small bucket and start with wedges, working my way towards the driver. I'll alternate what I hit so for one round I'll go 58 wedge, pw, 8, 6, 4, 4 hybrid then driver. Next round 52 wedge, 9,7,5,3 (if it's in the bag), 3 hybrid then driver. Putting and chip shots for 20-30 minutes then off to the tee.

NOW that I have kids... Rush to the course, get out of the car while pulling my sticks out of the trunk and hopping to the counter while putting on my shoes to pay, get to the tee box, hit the first drive, hook it on then tie my shoes... Lol

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Due to age and health, I don't spend a lot of time on the range prior to a round.   I have only so many swings in me and I will definitely reach my quota on the course.   So, my goal is just to get lose, so that the first swing on the first tee doesn't hurt so much.   Moreover, many times when I hit horrible shots on the range, I think I'm going to have a horrible round that turns out to be one of my best and the converse happens quite often as well.   Accordingly, I spend most of my pre-round time on the practice putting green.   I know the old saying-drive for show, putt for doe-especially when my driver show is a comedy.  

I'm kind of like Rev, well as far as the extent of the routine, not the results..ha

A few years back, I had a teaching pro tell me during a playing lesson, to take only 3 clubs to the range, wedge of my choice (usually my 50) 6 iron and driver.   Hit enough half wedges to get loose so full swings wont' hurt you, so maybe 10 or so working up to a 3/4 swing.   Then no more than 7 swings each with the other two.  That's 25 shots, which is more than enough for me to at least get loose.  At my level, range sessions mean nothing as to what my actual own course play will be.   I can be hitting it so pure on the range and go out and completely cold stone top the first tee shot.  Or I can have the shanks on every iron I hit on the range, then go out and stripe the opening tee shot right down the middle.  Both scenario's have actually happened in the past month..ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm kind of like Rev, well as far as the extent of the routine, not the results..ha

A few years back, I had a teaching pro tell me during a playing lesson, to take only 3 clubs to the range, wedge of my choice (usually my 50) 6 iron and driver. Hit enough half wedges to get loose so full swings wont' hurt you, so maybe 10 or so working up to a 3/4 swing. Then no more than 7 swings each with the other two. That's 25 shots, which is more than enough for me to at least get loose. At my level, range sessions mean nothing as to what my actual own course play will be. I can be hitting it so pure on the range and go out and completely cold stone top the first tee shot. Or I can have the shanks on every iron I hit on the range, then go out and stripe the opening tee shot right down the middle. Both scenario's have actually happened in the past month..ha

Oh,,, so you're a range pro too huh? Maybe we should tour the nations best ranges together!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I

A few years back, I had a teaching pro tell me during a playing lesson, to take only 3 clubs to the range, wedge of my choice (usually my 50) 6 iron and driver. Hit enough half wedges to get loose so full swings wont' hurt you, so maybe 10 or so working up to a 3/4 swing. Then no more than 7 swings each with the other two. That's 25 shots, which is more than enough for me to at least get loose.

I had a teaching pro tell me something similar. It was during a playing lesson where he also included warmup as part of the lesson.

5 balls allocated.for each of the 3 clubs. If you are hitting well don't hit all 5. Then 3 balls where you essentially play a par 5. Hit driver then the iron and then wedge.

Putting green was hit a few 2-3 foot putts to hear the ball going into the hole. Then hit a few out 5 and 10 footers and the putt to the fringe to check distance control.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Oh,,, so you're a range pro too huh? Maybe we should tour the nations best ranges together!

Yeah man, we could show those Bryan brothers a thing or two...HA

I had a teaching pro tell me something similar. It was during a playing lesson where he also included warmup as part of the lesson.

5 balls allocated.for each of the 3 clubs. If you are hitting well don't hit all 5. Then 3 balls where you essentially play a par 5. Hit driver then the iron and then wedge.

Putting green was hit a few 2-3 foot putts to hear the ball going into the hole. Then hit a few out 5 and 10 footers and the putt to the fringe to check distance control.

I like that part about the 3 balls and the par 5

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

After I stretch (10 mins), I do the following:

6 balls 1/2 swings with sw (56*)

3 full swings 56*

5 full swings 8I

4 full swings 5I

3 full swings 3W

5 full swings Driver

3 full swings 56*

A few swings with whatever I'm hitting off the first tee (until I hit one with the ball flight I want with that shot).

From there I go putt till tee time

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'm also working on the mental approach when I'm at the range before a round. I try and go through a preshot routine and visualize the first hole. Funny, I always imagine a birdie or no worse than par on the first few holes ;). Now if I'm swinging exceptionally well on the range, I try and remember that feeling for the first few holes, kind of feed off the good memories from the range and putting session. Sadly, being hung over prior to the round yesterday prevented those good feelings to get to the first hole... Lol

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Sadly, being hung over prior to the round yesterday prevented those good feelings to get to the first hole... Lol

MDGolfHacker

The alcohol's good feelings blocked the golf's good feelings, eh? Haha

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

The alcohol's good feelings blocked the golf's good feelings, eh? Haha

Hence the alcoholic drinks on the course to remember the good feelings again, lol :) (it didn't work :() . I normally only drink water, Gatorade or soda on the course.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

A few years back, I had a teaching pro tell me during a playing lesson, to take only 3 clubs to the range, wedge of my choice (usually my 50) 6 iron and driver.   Hit enough half wedges to get loose so full swings wont' hurt you, so maybe 10 or so working up to a 3/4 swing.   Then no more than 7 swings each with the other two.  That's 25 shots, which is more than enough for me to at least get loose.  At my level, range sessions mean nothing as to what my actual own course play will be.   I can be hitting it so pure on the range and go out and completely cold stone top the first tee shot.  Or I can have the shanks on every iron I hit on the range, then go out and stripe the opening tee shot right down the middle.  Both scenario's have actually happened in the past month..ha

Even when I played tournaments range sessions vs. what I was doing on the course seemed to vary sometimes as well. Probably a mental thing considering a good range session could amp you up or a bad session could lower your expectations. 

Ball- Prov1X 

I'm also working on the mental approach when I'm at the range before a round. I try and go through a preshot routine and visualize the first hole. Funny, I always imagine a birdie or no worse than par on the first few holes ;). Now if I'm swinging exceptionally well on the range, I try and remember that feeling for the first few holes, kind of feed off the good memories from the range and putting session. Sadly, being hung over prior to the round yesterday prevented those good feelings to get to the first hole... Lol

MDGolfHacker

The best round of my life was on 3 hours of sleep and a late night with some buddies in town for my graduation party. We were up till about 4 in the morning and had a 7 am tee time at a course an hour away. I was still feeling it out on the course and got around in the red numbers on a course playing about 7,200 yards. 

Ball- Prov1X 

Alright. I'll pipe in....

I don't like to rush. So... I always try and get to the course 1 hour early. I also don't like to think much about the days game. I save that for after the round. I normally hit some short chips and pitches for a 10-15 minutes to get loose. Than I'll transition to some full wedges and move on through a 9i, 7i, driver. With about 15 minutes left I'll move to the practice green and hit a few more chips and then putt for a minute or two. That's about it. I visit with the other guys, we decide on the groups, get a large cup of ice water and go to the first tee. 

Keep it simple and don't let your head ruin your round.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

For me I have 3 different pre round routines. I show up and walk to the tee and go after it. Round with buddies I hit about 45-50 shots with 60*, 7 iron 4 iron, 3 wood and driver. Tournament rounds take 2 hours between stretching and warming up. I stretch for about 15 minutes then chip for 15 minutes to get a rhythm ad feel then hit balls for about 20 minutes then grab a snack putt for 30 minutes and head back to the range to "play" the first 3 holes on the range.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I typically get there about 45 min early so I can spend time on the chipping green and then the putting green. I hardly ever hit the range and if I do it's for only 10-15 swings to get lose, no need to over do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

Stretching is imperative for me now. I am getting older, ride mountain bikes a lot which is not good for golf because it makes my body really tight for golf. However, won't give up either. So, now I spend a good 15 minutes stretching at home first which helps a lot.

At the course, I may hit a few balls if I have time. However, chipping and hitting a few putts is more important for me to just get some tempo and feel. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

Archived